The Student Room Group

Parents want another baby

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Im like you too op i hate change, im the youngest my sister is about 9 years older and my brother is 7 years older, i found it hard cause i couldnt talk to my sister about things cause she would be at uni and i was starting secondary school. If your mum and dad want try to be happy for them
One of my friends has a huge family (no religious reason or anything); he's 18 and his baby brother is 6 months... He has 6 brothers and sisiters and some are adopted. Sometimes he wishes he had a smaller family but he wouldn't change it for the world. I'm sure there have been times when you hated your sister but you wouldn't ever dream of her never having been born. As soon as your baby brother/sister is born you'll fall in love with them... what if you had the choice of your sister being born? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't give it a seconds thought. This seems to be what your parents really want and your sister will have a toddler around while she's doing her exams but im sure your parents are reasonable enough to arrange some sort of quiet space for her. and she'll be leaving home in 2-4 years anyway.

I know it's not really equivalent but my parents got a puppy last month of a breed that I HATE.. they kept it secret from me till she came home because they knew I'd kick off... but anyway now we've had her for a month and I'm completely in love with her.. she's be best dog ever and I look forward to seeing her each time I come home ... I can't imagine NOT having her!!

take it as a compliment to you and your sister that your parents want ANOTHER baby! i'm an only child :L
Reply 22
Original post by Eine-Neue
Increase No. of siblings = Less amount of attention; Being an only child must be blissful.

Theres less attention on you so can do more things. Plus you can deflect attention onto them when needed. And theres also more people to buy you things if youre the youngest
I think that it's nice they want one more. They obviously miss having a young child to look after and fuss over. Your either at college or uni and your sister is at secondary school.
If they want one then good luck to them.
Original post by Cicerao
Understand that TSR is largely made up of youths who think having babies is like having a sweet little doll.

Or rather the OP hasn't presented a legitimate reason why her parents shouldn't have another child. She said there are other reasons but if she really wanted our help she would've listed them :rolleyes:
You'll probably be ok with it once the baby is born. Not many people can resist the charms of a baby :blush:
Honest to God, tell your parents to wait until after your sister's education has finished otherwise she will mentally capsize.
Reply 27
If you really want to know some of the reasons, here you go:

- I don't think my parents are in love anymore. The baby idea just seems like they want a reason to stay together. My mum has cheated in the past (with my dad's brother, of all people!) and I feel as though she's trying to 'make it up' to my dad because he's always said he'd like a son.

- My mum's brother died last year and she found it really hard to cope. I don't want her to have PND.

- My sister and I love our family nights out. We love the fact that my parents often have nights out and let us invite friends over (when I'm home). We love staying up until the early hours of the morning, drinking and laughing with them - we're really close and they've always treated us like adults.

- I love the fact that we're 'comfortable' financially. I know that sounds selfish but I like our lifestyle. Babies are expensive!

- I know that 39 isn't exactly old to have a baby, but I'm worried that my parents will never have the 'freedom' that other people their age will have.

- I'm worried that something will happen to my mum. Both her pregnancies had complications.

I could go on....
Original post by Anonymous

- I don't think my parents are in love anymore. The baby idea just seems like they want a reason to stay together. My mum has cheated in the past (with my dad's brother, of all people!) and I feel as though she's trying to 'make it up' to my dad because he's always said he'd like a son.

- My mum's brother died last year and she found it really hard to cope. I don't want her to have PND.

- My sister and I love our family nights out. We love the fact that my parents often have nights out and let us invite friends over (when I'm home). We love staying up until the early hours of the morning, drinking and laughing with them - we're really close and they've always treated us like adults.

- I love the fact that we're 'comfortable' financially. I know that sounds selfish but I like our lifestyle. Babies are expensive!

- I know that 39 isn't exactly old to have a baby, but I'm worried that my parents will never have the 'freedom' that other people their age will have.

- I'm worried that something will happen to my mum. Both her pregnancies had complications.

I could go on....

:yikes:
Reply 29
Original post by Cesar Lecat
:yikes:

It was just after my mum's brother died, so my dad forgave them - or so he says.

(Thinking about it, it was actually almost 2 years ago, not a year ago as I said in my previous post)
Reply 30

I could go on....

Ok, maybe it's not such a great idea after all...
It was just after my mum's brother died, so my dad forgave them - or so he says.

(Thinking about it, it was actually almost 2 years ago, not a year ago as I said in my previous post)

I can go into a massive rant about cheaters. It's inexcusable IMO.

Anyway, after reading those reasons, I take back what I said. Sorry for calling you selfish :smile:
Original post by OliverThomas
I think some people are being a bit harsh - the OP has said that they haven't listed all their reasons, so no-one should really judge. If my parents told me they wanted another baby, I wouldn't be very happy either.

I never wanted a sibling, but you have to realize that its not fair on parents either- they shouldn't be guilt tripped into not doing something they want to do, something that is completely reasonable. If OP is worried about the effect that the baby would have on her sisters GCSE's, she should talk about it to her parents and ask them how they plan to care for the baby without putting too much strain on your sister.
But its not their place to tell parents whether they should have the child or not.
Oh man, I'd be gutted if my parents had another baby! Just tell them your concerns and see what happens, I don't think you're being selfish. Also, just because she's off the pill doesn't mean she can actually get pregnant, which would be cause for even more upset :/ gah.
As someone else said, are you sure your mum's not pregnant?

They've been planning it for year, but didn't tell you anything until now...
(Posting anon as I know people on here)

Last week, my parents told my sister and I that they want another baby. I know we should feel happy for them, but we both hate the idea.

I love my family the way we are and I don't want it to change. I'm 19 and my sister's 14. I don't live at home, but my sister does so it'll affect her more than it'll affect me - eg. if my mum got pregnant now, my sister would have to put up with a screaming baby during her GCSE years.

There are lots of reasons why we don't want another sibling, but I won't list them here.

My parents have said that they want our support before they go ahead with it, so now we're both feeling incredibly guilty that we don't feel as though we can support them. I'd feel so bad telling them how we feel as I really don't want to upset them :frown:

They're both 39 so they've told us that this is their 'last chance'. My mum said that she's been off the Pill for a year now, just to get her body ready, so we feel even more guilty.

I really wish I could be happy about it but I just can't :frown:

Please try to convince me that it's a good idea! I like kids but hate change and love my family just the way it is!

I really think that you would be happy with the new addition to your family. Trust me, as soon as you see your little brother/sister, your heart's gonna melt and you're gonna love them so much...haha I sound so cheesy :tongue:

But trust me, me and my sister were like you before. We weren't against the idea but we thought it was weird. When my brother was born, and we were all in the hospital, I just thought to myself (over the crying of my new born brother) that well this is our new family. But u know what? It got better from there. As the years progressed. You have a little bro/sis which you can play with if you're stressed out, etc. Plus they'll look up to you always.

My brother is currently 5 and I'm 19, meaning there's 14 years gap between us, but it doesnt matter. I love him so much! :biggrin: And I know you're gonna love your future brother/sister as well :smile:

Plus, you're not gonna be living with your family like forever you know. You just got a few years and you'll be off to uni/getting married. Anyway, just be happy for your parents and support them. You'll get used to it. Trust me :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

This seems like a good reason not to have a baby. If this is your main concern perhaps you should raise the point to them and see what they say.

Theres no guarentee that will happen.

Both quite selfish reasons tbh. Your parents will still be able to go out (not as much of course) when the baby is a bit older. You are an adult but this reason seems quite childish in my opinion- you make it sound like you're worried your parents will be spending more time and money on a baby rather than on you. You also said you don't live at home anymore, surely you can do all this stuff wherever you are staying.

Imagine if they worried about losing their freedom before your mum became pregnant with you. You wouldn't be here if they had the same thought process you do.

Unless you are a doctor you can't be sure anything will happen. I would leave the medical advice to a professional if I'm honest. If there is any chance of something going wrong they will tell her.

I would talk to your parents if I were you. But I imagine it would be quite upsetting for them knowing they don't have your support, especially if they genuinely want another child. Good luck with whatever you do
I know how you feel OP, my sister was 20 when my dad had another child. My family isn't really the best of examples so I don't really want to say anything too drastic.

At the end of the day... it's not your decision, they're adults and whether you want it or not, they'll do what they want.
Reply 38

This is a very valid reason. Care to expand?
Original post by GabGirl
I have an 11 year gap between me and my sister and its lovely. YOu feel like a parent appreciating all thier little quirks but without the responsibility of feeding them in the middle of the night. Plus it really livens up the house

lol same here- between my younger sister an I there's a FOURTEEN years gap. The good bits : its sooooooooooo CUTE watching them take their first steps an all, and you it makes you feel more responsible like an adult. It also teaches u to fend for ur self abit- cos ur parents cant give u as much attention as before lool

the bad bits: its annoying how they will copy you quite a bit, and even tho you're older and they wont understand, you can't ''show your emotion'' verbally coz they'll pick it up.
The constant attention they can require- altho this isnt a problem in a family with only one other kid to think about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending