The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

The unofficial Best clubs/bars/nights in Leeds (2012) thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
What's happening for Halloween this year, specifically Wednesday night? Any decent nights around?
Looking for any alternative club really... House, drum and bass, dubstep etc.
Any suggestions?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by TomH999
What's happening for Halloween this year, specifically Wednesday night? Any decent nights around?
Looking for any alternative club really... House, drum and bass, dubstep etc.
Any suggestions?

There's the Scarefest happening at Mission. Might need a ticket though. I'd get in touch with the venue or find em on FB or something.

Kerri Chandler is also at Mint on 27th! That also might be sold out.
Need some help! Although no longer quite a student - I'm in my 30's now - I still appreciate a decent bar or two. My question is this, can anyone name me a bar that plays quality house music in Leeds on a Saturday night? I've an old friend coming over to visit in a few weeks and we need a good place to go. Cheers
Original post by vinyldude1210
Need some help! Although no longer quite a student - I'm in my 30's now - I still appreciate a decent bar or two. My question is this, can anyone name me a bar that plays quality house music in Leeds on a Saturday night? I've an old friend coming over to visit in a few weeks and we need a good place to go. Cheers

Stinkys is the best place in town for house music.

http://www.stinkyspeephouse.co.uk/

Space can be a good craic, think HIFI has some house nights, avoid Phono.
Is it just me who doesn't understand the Hifi love?
I mean seriously, it's like more than 3 quid for a vodka and coke (a ****ing single!), I'm not paying that!
Everyone should go to Bierkeller on Wednesdays. I have much love for Bierkeller.
Original post by (:Becca(:
I mean seriously, it's like more than 3 quid for a vodka and coke (a ****ing single!), I'm not paying that!
Everyone should go to Bierkeller on Wednesdays. I have much love for Bierkeller.

Depends what night you go on.

Definetly one of the best places for funk and soul music.
Original post by 90pies an hour
Stinkys is the best place in town for house music.

http://www.stinkyspeephouse.co.uk/

Space can be a good craic, think HIFI has some house nights, avoid Phono.

Thanks, mate. Will give them a go..

If you're out to drink/binge HiFi isn't a good idea. HiFi is somewhere you go for the music and get only a few drinks. Same with Smokestack and Sela bar which is obviously a place to chill and listen to dope funky music.

As said its one of the best places for funk and soul in Leeds. They even have Northern Soul all-dayers (ask your parents)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jblackmoustache
If you're out to drink/binge HiFi isn't a good idea. HiFi is somewhere you go for the music and get only a few drinks. Same with Smokestack and Sela bar which is obviously a place to chill and listen to dope funky music.

As said its one of the best places for funk and soul in Leeds. They even have Northern Soul all-dayers (ask your parents)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Soul/funk isn't really my kind of thing I suppose. Bar Cockpit or Warehouse I have to be really ****ed to enjoy the music on a night out.
Soul/funk isn't really my kind of thing I suppose. Bar Cockpit or Warehouse I have to be really ****ed to enjoy the music on a night out.

Never been in Warehouse. What sort of stuff do they play? Is it studenty?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jblackmoustache
Never been in Warehouse. What sort of stuff do they play? Is it studenty?

Posted from TSR Mobile

On Fridays it's dubstep and pretty studenty, yeah.
On Fridays it's dubstep and pretty studenty, yeah.

Thanks. Might check it out, but the studenty vibe isn't my thing but hey, don't knock it till you've tried it?

Checked out Mr.Foley's Ale House? Just across the road from the city library/museum. That place has a damn good selection of ale and the staff are really friendly too. If real ale is your thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what are currently the busiesnt nights in leeds monday thru snday?

i got another 6 months contract in manc but considering leeds again and have a good while now to sample the nightlife in leeds and take my time doing a compare and contrast.

still- plus 1 on tues, oceana weds, bed on thurs? what about monday. those three nights i found solid but didnt get around to finding a good one on monday.
Reply 53
Original post by Harambulus

i got another 6 months contract in manc but considering leeds again and have a good while now to sample the nightlife in leeds and take my time doing a compare and contrast.

still- plus 1 on tues, oceana weds, bed on thurs? what about monday. those three nights i found solid but didnt get around to finding a good one on monday.

Halo on Mondays
Original post by Harambulus

This is what I do (obviously not all days every week!):

MONDAY - Halo or Mint
TUESDAY - Chilli Whites or Space
WEDNESDAY - Bed all the way
THURSDAY - Tequila at Mezz or Mission
FRIDAY - Space or Fruity (Fruity if it's a joke night like last Friday it was the last one so I went dressed as Santa)
SATURDAY - Propaganda at O2, Halo or Space
SUNDAY - Do nothing.
I went to Propaganda on Saturday for first time in years and made the following observations:

Good music, chart and popular stuff with some old classics
Having turned 23 that day I was too old to be there
An enormous amount of kids on drugs
An enormous amount of kids dealing drugs
Saw one guy pick pocketing
Weird men in there either old and perving or just off their faces and groping women

Won't be going back in a while.

Edit my faves: Wire, HiFi, Smokestack, sela, call lane, cockpit, (not so much anymore), fruity/topgun because I practically live in the SU
(edited 11 years ago)
i went to full moon @ mission the other nigh in leeds for last before xmas.

lol these chains are like they come off a conveyor belt. its tottaly identical to the one in manc. not saying its bad, it is what it is, just sayin. neither are my preferred night tho. its like the 'rah' student crowd go to those nights. sirt of like a bastardised ideal of the student life. I try not to write off nights because it consisting of a specific crowd as i like to think to myself you can have a good time anywhere you go wtih the right attitude but i still sometimes fall into the rut where you get annoyed with the crowd and write the night off as a load of crap yaknow :biggrin:

i guess its more a case of you CAN have a good time anywhere given enough effort but some take more effort to enjoy than others.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by misswilliams
I went to Propaganda on Saturday for first time in years and made the following observations:

Good music, chart and popular stuff with some old classics
Having turned 23 that day I was too old to be there
An enormous amount of kids on drugs
An enormous amount of kids dealing drugs
Saw one guy pick pocketing
Weird men in there either old and perving or just off their faces and groping women

Won't be going back in a while.

Edit my faves: Wire, HiFi, Smokestack, sela, call lane, cockpit, (not so much anymore), fruity/topgun because I practically live in the SU

Ill fit right in then :P.

I went there once before and liked it. didnt notice the dealers part and dont care either way tho dont like pulling girls if they are on E. or really drunk for that matter, too intoxicated on whatever is a nono for me.

I liked the venue size and how busy it was when i went on sat. havent seem anything like that in manc for a cpl years now. everything is 1/4 to 1/3 full at best. tho maybe im romanticising again.
Hi Fi was a favourite of mine.
Reply 59
I haven't been in Propaganda for ages, mainly because I rarely go out with my school friends since Uni. However that is still my favourite club in Leeds

Quick Reply

Latest