The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

The unofficial Best clubs/bars/nights in Leeds (2012) thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by misswilliams
I went to Propaganda on Saturday for first time in years and made the following observations:

Good music, chart and popular stuff with some old classics
Having turned 23 that day I was too old to be there
An enormous amount of kids on drugs
An enormous amount of kids dealing drugs
Saw one guy pick pocketing
Weird men in there either old and perving or just off their faces and groping women

Won't be going back in a while.

Edit my faves: Wire, HiFi, Smokestack, sela, call lane, cockpit, (not so much anymore), fruity/topgun because I practically live in the SU

That's a good selection. We have nearly similar tastes. I like all those except for Call Lane not so much. Not a fan. Lots of idiots down there. Especially in Vodka Revs. With the prices you pay for **** cocktails in there you'd be better off paying a lil bit more for a cocktail in a bar on Greek Street. Call Lane has one if the highest rates of Anti-social behaviour in Leeds as well. I find its just full of posers and people with attitude.

Propaganda is a perfect place for old perverts to go to haha. Loads of naive young absolutely wasted fresher types that go there. I'm 25 so I'm definitely too young to be in there. Not surprised about the pickpocketing too but never seen it. Students are easy meat after all.

Any other good pubs/bars out of Leeds City Centre? I've been to Chapel Allerton and Headingley but nowhere else (most of the bars in Headingley suck though)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Right out in the sticks is 'The Musiquarium' in Kirkstall on an industrial Estate on Wyther Lane

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/musiquarium-leeds

https://en-gb.facebook.com/musiquarium

It's a bit off the beaten track. A bit hard to find (so a bit of planning is needed) It's definitely a taxi job getting there as its well past Headingley Train Station and past Kirkstall Morrisons. Feels like a well underground venue :lol:

They often do club nights and live shows and play all sorts from house, hip-hop, electro, DnB and Dubstep. The bar staff and door staff are really friendly and it has a nice small bar with drinks at decent prices. Feels cool, but never pretentious. Went to one of their nights recently. The crowd were friendly and the venue is really small and intimate which allows for great interaction with the artists. Its Not huge and lacking character like the 02. Surprisingly a great gender mix too. Lots of females!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jblackmoustache
I find its just full of posers and people with attitude.

Propaganda is a perfect place for old perverts to go to haha. Loads of naive young absolutely wasted fresher types that go there. I'm 25 so I'm definitely too young to be in there. Not surprised about the pickpocketing too but never seen it. Students are easy meat after all.

I'm just full of attitude and love to pose :sexface:

Haha yeah so true about Propaganda, shameful thing is I'm going there tonight for NYE. Can't take my own effing advice!
Reply 63
I love Propaganda actually and have never seen anything dodgy. But then maybe I'm not keeping my eyes open enough!

I tend to minimise going out in the week since I'm in uni pretty early every day. Tend to go out Wednesdays (Bed is hands down the best thing on a Wednesday IMO) Fridays (where I head to Warehouse) and Saturdays where I normally go to Propaganda.

I've been to the Cockpit as well for a gig and I loved it. Also been in the SU a few times during freshers week and the nights were really good, but nobody I go out with ever goes for Cockpit or the SU so I don't either.
I can't stand Space, been in there once and it was bloody awful. Maybe I just had a bad night because people big it up all the time but I really don't like it. Same with Chilli whites.

As for bars and stuff, I tend to go in Revolution and walkabout a fair bit but that's only because my subject society have deals with them. I get 50% off drinks in Revs and some drinks on the cheap in walkabout so they're good if you just want a couple before you head to a club. Dry dock is good as well.

Man I wish I was there for new years.
(edited 11 years ago)
Too many student bars and student nights in Leeds IMO that are all the same (crappy chart RnB and indie and popstep/brostep). Too much indie in Leeds. It sucks. That's the worst thing about having students in Leeds. Everything caters for them. I suppose bars just don't make as much cash from locals as they do from students. I guess if there weren't any students Leeds wouldn't have the bars that I love.

I prefer Manchester., even though the people aren't as friendly. it's different because that city doesn't sleep when it isn't term time. Leeds does. There just isn't a proper music scene in Yorkshire like there is in Manchester (Yorkshire doesn't have enough soul). I'm not talking about rock music. I like listening in my room but I don't give a toss about a rock scene. I'm about the soul.

Also why does rock bar have to equal ****hole? I like how that any place that plays rock thinks it can get away with a place that looks like a ****hole. I mean the toilets and general environment in Sela and Hi-Fi and Smokestack (who play house, soul, blues, funk, hip-hop, dubstep, jazz, etc) are clean and not like a grotty piss stained student hole.

Maybe I'd go to a rock bar if it was clean, reasonably priced, had good quality drinks and didn't play anthems and pop crap

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Propaganda was alright last night actually! Got groped a lot though vom.

I think, unless its your thang, you go to Space once get traumatised and never go again haha!

I totally agree with you about Leeds, is the ultimate student city but the music scene is ****. I wouldn't stay here after graduating, I know a lot of people have but there's nothing going on outside of term time and the students would really annoy me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
I have to completely disagree about the music scene. Leeds is fantastic.
I agree it does sleep through the summer, and I think Manchester overall is slightly better music-scene wise. But along with Bristol, Leeds is the only English city that rivals Manchester bar London for music imo.

As far as live venues are concerned you've got the O2 Academy, The Cockpit, the upcoming Leeds Arena for the bigger acts.
Last term Leeds Uni Union had acts ranging from hardcore political rapper Immortal Technique to dance phenomenon TEED to Craig Charles' Funk and Soul Club.
There are loads of fantastic gigs of all varieties at Brudenell and Nation of Shopkeepers. I'm looking forward to seeing Mala play his dubstep (no, not robot-noise stuff) infused with Cuban music with a live band at the new Beat Bar place. Incidentally, I think Gilles Peterson played a jazz set there in December.

The dance music here is ridiculous. Detroit techno/house legend Moodymann was playing at Distrikt Bar last month. Mint Club get some awesome guests in one of the best intimate venues I've ever seen - Mint is not only for Mondays. Then there's the Mint Warehouse and of course Canal Mills (which hosted a signature marathon Mr. Scruff set last semester if you prefer jazz and soul and drinking tea).
Wire pretty much do everything, and you get the super-low frequency stuff at Vox Warehouse. Then there's the even more low-key places like The Musiquarium. The Garage is gaining momentum and Stinky's Peephouse has a decent history. Faversham's great for the big parties they throw. Hi-Fi is a brilliant place and Leeds is lucky to have it, I haven't been to Sela Bar or Smokestack though :frown:

Sorry to sound like some massive salesman but there's just such a ridiculous amount going on in Leeds to say it's got a bad music scene, for any genre! Maybe there isn't a huge amount of soul here but it is here, and you can't say that for most places. And there are loads of places I've missed off this post, and more I don't know about.

I'm in my second year, love music, and hate students tbh (sweeping statement I know, but I'm just not interested in the same things as most I meet). I don't go to student nights or clubs in general but I'm swept away with the amount going on.
Original post by Mo-Amin
I have to completely disagree about the music scene. Leeds is fantastic.
I agree it does sleep through the summer, and I think Manchester overall is slightly better music-scene wise. But along with Bristol, Leeds is the only English city that rivals Manchester bar London for music imo.

As far as live venues are concerned you've got the O2 Academy, The Cockpit, the upcoming Leeds Arena for the bigger acts.
Last term Leeds Uni Union had acts ranging from hardcore political rapper Immortal Technique to dance phenomenon TEED to Craig Charles' Funk and Soul Club.
There are loads of fantastic gigs of all varieties at Brudenell and Nation of Shopkeepers. I'm looking forward to seeing Mala play his dubstep (no, not robot-noise stuff) infused with Cuban music with a live band at the new Beat Bar place. Incidentally, I think Gilles Peterson played a jazz set there in December.

The dance music here is ridiculous. Detroit techno/house legend Moodymann was playing at Distrikt Bar last month. Mint Club get some awesome guests in one of the best intimate venues I've ever seen - Mint is not only for Mondays. Then there's the Mint Warehouse and of course Canal Mills (which hosted a signature marathon Mr. Scruff set last semester if you prefer jazz and soul and drinking tea).
Wire pretty much do everything, and you get the super-low frequency stuff at Vox Warehouse. Then there's the even more low-key places like The Musiquarium. The Garage is gaining momentum and Stinky's Peephouse has a decent history. Faversham's great for the big parties they throw. Hi-Fi is a brilliant place and Leeds is lucky to have it, I haven't been to Sela Bar or Smokestack though :frown:

Sorry to sound like some massive salesman but there's just such a ridiculous amount going on in Leeds to say it's got a bad music scene, for any genre! Maybe there isn't a huge amount of soul here but it is here, and you can't say that for most places. And there are loads of places I've missed off this post, and more I don't know about.

I'm in my second year, love music, and hate students tbh (sweeping statement I know, but I'm just not interested in the same things as most I meet). I don't go to student nights or clubs in general but I'm swept away with the amount going on.

Nah don't apologise. Leeds really does have a great scene compared with cities like Sheffield which sucks (it's just a big town IMO).

Big problem with Leeds is decent night transport. Metro need to sort this out. Leeds really does have a bad rep for transport. Leeds isn't as accessible at night. One ****ty night service to Headingley sucks. It gives the impression to locals that getting students in and out of town is more important than getting locals to places. Bring in more people from outside of Leeds from places like Bradford and Wakefield and even places like Keighley. This might sort out dead out of uni term times and also people hanging around after throw out time starting **** outside of places like Dixys. In Manchester I could get to Bolton and even Oldham on the bus at early hours of the morning!

Leeds is great but really looses points for focussing on students too much, plus be honest, there isn't as much going on in Leeds as there is Manchester. The city is way bigger and has more bars. Leeds is more compact, less crap to weed out, but it's like a bloody student playground. Its a better student experience but sucks if you're more grown up and actually want more than cheap booze, slutty indie girls and loud music. Thats why i like the places you mentioned. they haven't fallen into doing the whole stupid student bar thing. Leeds will never be better than Manchester for the club/bar scene for non students.

In cities like Liverpool and Manchester and York (York is a completely different ball game btw) I feel that there are people other than students about but not in Leeds. Its like everyone is young and stupid in Leeds. I couldn't stay in a place like Leeds for the rest of my life. It's just too studenty. Huddersfield seems to be like that too (in town anyway), but even worse than Leeds. The city dies suddenly when the students go back to their little southern towns :lol:

I hate the 02 btw. Prefer more intimate venues and every time I've been there the security have been dickheads. I love the Musiquarium though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by jblackmoustache
Nah don't apologise. Leeds really does have a great scene compared with cities like Sheffield which sucks (it's just a big town IMO).

Big problem with Leeds is decent night transport. Metro need to sort this out. Leeds really does have a bad rep for transport. Leeds isn't as accessible at night. One ****ty night service to Headingley sucks. It gives the impression to locals that getting students in and out of town is more important than getting locals to places. Bring in more people from outside of Leeds from places like Bradford and Wakefield and even places like Keighley. This might sort out dead out of uni term times and also people hanging around after throw out time starting **** outside of places like Dixys. In Manchester I could get to Bolton and even Oldham on the bus at early hours of the morning!

Leeds is great but really looses points for focussing on students too much, plus be honest, there isn't as much going on in Leeds as there is Manchester. The city is way bigger and has more bars. Leeds is more compact, less crap to weed out, but it's like a bloody student playground. Its a better student experience but sucks if you're more grown up and actually want more than cheap booze, slutty indie girls and loud music. Thats why i like the places you mentioned. they haven't fallen into doing the whole stupid student bar thing. Leeds will never be better than Manchester for the club/bar scene for non students.

In cities like Liverpool and Manchester and York (York is a completely different ball game btw) I feel that there are people other than students about but not in Leeds. Its like everyone is young and stupid in Leeds. I couldn't stay in a place like Leeds for the rest of my life. It's just too studenty. Huddersfield seems to be like that too (in town anyway), but even worse than Leeds. The city dies suddenly when the students go back to their little southern towns :lol:

I hate the 02 btw. Prefer more intimate venues and every time I've been there the security have been dickheads. I love the Musiquarium though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I prefer clubs in Leeds but Manchester does have better bars from what I've seen tbf. I can't really speak much about the transport - it's taxis everywhere in the city and most students are near enough, which I guess is one reason why it's so full of students.

You're probably right about how there doesn't seem to be that many people other than students in Leeds. Coming from Manchester, it's quite different and yeah I could definitely live in Manchester post-university whereas I wouldn't want to as much in Leeds. I reckon things might change though.
Reply 69
Got a load of friends coming from various Unis for a night out this Saturday (23rd feb) and feeling a lot of pressure to pick somewhere half decent for a good night :P plus, we're all from Newcastle - so it's not like we aren't used to a city with a good nightlife. Extra pressure on me!
Problem is I have no idea where to go on a Saturday, I've only ever been out on weekdays on student nights.
Main thing we are bothered about it the music - a mix of chart, indie/rock, cheesy old tunes would be great if that's not too much to ask for!
Any offers and deals would also be a bonus :smile:
Any advice?!
Reply 70
Original post by aishah1
Got a load of friends coming from various Unis for a night out this Saturday (23rd feb) and feeling a lot of pressure to pick somewhere half decent for a good night :P plus, we're all from Newcastle - so it's not like we aren't used to a city with a good nightlife. Extra pressure on me!
Problem is I have no idea where to go on a Saturday, I've only ever been out on weekdays on student nights.
Main thing we are bothered about it the music - a mix of chart, indie/rock, cheesy old tunes would be great if that's not too much to ask for!
Any advice?!

Sounds like you'd love Propaganda, it's an Indie night in Academy but they also have a basement that plays some heavier club tunes
Reply 71
Original post by Harpoon
Sounds like you'd love Propaganda, it's an Indie night in Academy but they also have a basement that plays some heavier club tunes

We have an 02 in Newcastle so I was hoping to go somewhere else! But I fear on a Saturday Propaganda may be our only safe bet.
Original post by aishah1
Any advice?!

If you're looking for cheese, Albion Street/Woodhouse Ln is as cheesy as things can get in Leeds. You have your chart and all that and the places are always busy. Tiger Tiger, Oceana, Yates, etc. If you're into nostalgia you might like Fab Cafe a bit further up. It's a bit geeky and not like the other bars on that street, but it's real fun and the drinks prices are reasonable. Lots to look at inside. Call Lane is similar too but a bit more upmarket and pricey. This is also where Revs is.

Don't bother with Greek Street and bars near the train station because they are probably too pricey for you and boring (places like Slug and Lettuce) Full of professionals and city workers.

If you fancy anything but cheese HiFi is never a let down and Mint is pretty good. Nation of Shopkeepers and Carpe Diem are cool as well. Sela bar is my favourite, but I don't know if that will be your thing. Mission is ok, but it's full of ***** tbh. I look for certain events and nights and I don't know what happening this weekend so can't help you on that front.

You could try the Otley Run if you're out early enough. Its an infamous bar crawl Incredibly popular with Students. It starts from Headingley and ends in town at the Strawberry Fields bar

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 73
So I'm heading into Leeds this Thursday and was wondering what good nights are on? Something with a good atmosphere and studenty(I am a student myself after all) - I don't mind normal clubnights(like Oceana, etc) but I'm open to other places as well as I prefer rock and some ska to mainstream chart music. Any help would be appreciated :biggrin:
Hello!

Check out our new cultural charity show:
https://www.facebook.com/events/477128728991285/

Lots of cultural artists from Sheffield involved and over £100's worth of raffle prizes to be won!

Tickets are now available online at: http://kihimayat.eventbrite.co.uk/
Reply 75
Late to the party but Wire Wire Wire!!!!
Also I do enjoy a bit of Canal Mills

For any Hifi fans - if you go on a Sunday watch out for a pretty rapey black guy who drives there on his own sober to pick up drunk girls. No girl is too drunk or too vulnerable for him.
I don't live in leeds but have had a few nights out there and there's this place called beaverworks or something that I really love, been to a couple of psytrance (or similar, can't quite remember) nights there - awesome place, coin-operated style video games you can play for free as well as free air hockey tables, a bonfire outside at the back, just a great place to be off your face.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 77
I still need to try Warehouse, Cockpit, HiFi, they sound pretty good!

Halo Mondays
Mint Mondays
Oceana Wednesdays (if you're drunk enough)
Mook (cocktail bar)
Space Fridays
Fruity Fridays
Mezz on Saturdays

Are some of my favourites :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 78
Original post by JagSan
So I'm heading into Leeds this Thursday and was wondering what good nights are on? Something with a good atmosphere and studenty(I am a student myself after all) - I don't mind normal clubnights(like Oceana, etc) but I'm open to other places as well as I prefer rock and some ska to mainstream chart music. Any help would be appreciated :biggrin:

There's Tequila Thursdays at Mezz but everyone seems to either love it or hate it. There's Full Moon at Mission too which I've heard is good :smile:

Reply 79
Original post by Jippet
There's Tequila Thursdays at Mezz but everyone seems to either love it or hate it. There's Full Moon at Mission too which I've heard is good :smile:

Could you give a bit more detail on those places? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest