The Student Room Group

Wetherspoons Work Trial - did I do well?!

Hello!

On Saturday I went for an interview at Wetherspoons, which went very well and I was offered to come back for a 'work trial', which took place yesterday. It would be my first ever job and I have no previous experience in waitressing (which they did know about!). I was kind of 'thrown into' the job with only a quick explanation as to do what I will be doing and I thought that the kitchen collecting was confusing (knowing when to take food, where to take it to etc). Each order had a table number assigned to it but the tables were not in order and were all over the place, making them incredibly difficult to find. I was also unaware where the cleaning 'stuff' was until another employee told me where it was, how and when to do it etc. Apart from that, I really got into it and tried my best and was definitely very friendly and polite; the customers also seemed to like me and were very understanding towards the fact that I didn't know everything.

There were one or two others also doing a work trial, which worried me as I really want the job. One of them had previous experience and was very good at kitchen collecting. What I really want to know is whether I 'stand a chance' or not; at the end of the interview, the deputy manager told me that he thought that I had done 'pretty well', double checked that he had my number, told me that there is another work trial tomorrow (which is today) but that they would definitely contact me within this week. I had borrowed a uniform, which I expected to have to give back before I left, but he told me to 'keep it for now', which I thought was strange.

Sorry for writing so much but do you think that I could get this job?!

Thank you xo
(edited 11 years ago)
Sounds good to me, you did your best. Other candidates are irrelevant, you can be the only person going for a job and still get rejected. Do you know how many they are planning to take on? You were friendly, asked questions etc. and doesn't seem like anything disastrous happened like you falling face-first into a plate of bangers and mash. From what you've said, the feedback seems positive, checking he had your number is good sign.
Original post by Tokyoround
Sounds good to me, you did your best. Other candidates are irrelevant, you can be the only person going for a job and still get rejected. Do you know how many they are planning to take on? You were friendly, asked questions etc. and doesn't seem like anything disastrous happened like you falling face-first into a plate of bangers and mash. From what you've said, the feedback seems positive, checking he had your number is good sign.

Thank you so much for your reply! :smile:

I am not sure how many they are planning to 'take on' but I'm hoping that it will be more than one! I'm assuming that it would be more than one considering that Christmas is soon and thus, more people will want to come in and have meals, drinks etc.

The 'worst' thing that happened was dropping a fork whilst carrying a plate of food, but I did apologise and the other employee said that it was okay and helped me get another. I did inform customers that I was new and that this would be my first job and apologised in advance in case I was late with food, forgot anything etc. I always ?smiled too and had some friendly conversation with the customers, which was nice and they definitely seemed to appreciate it! I also talked to other members of staff; I introduced myself, asked how they are, if they need any help, what they do and how long they've been doing it for. When people were about to leave after finishing their shift, I acknowledged this and said "Have a nice day" and when mine had finished, I told them and thanked them for their help.

Is it 'positive' that he did not ask for the uniform back? I have never had a work trial before so I'm not sure.

Thanks again! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I didn't get the job :frown:
Original post by Smashing.Pumpkin
I didn't get the job :frown:

:console:

Did you get any feedback? Try to stay positive, at least you have some experience of work trials/interviews now and should be more confident next time. Keep trying you'll get something eventually :smile:
Original post by Tokyoround
:console:

Did you get any feedback? Try to stay positive, at least you have some experience of work trials/interviews now and should be more confident next time. Keep trying you'll get something eventually :smile:

No, they just sent me an automated message with the same old thing about how they found more 'suitable candidates', which I thought was a bit rude considering that I worked for them for free and tried really hard.

I've applied to ten jobs so far and only managed to get one interview and one work trial; all the others have 'rejected' my application. Since my most recent rejection, I have been trying to find other jobs to apply to but I cannot find any (and I'm not being fussy either!).

:frown:
Reply 6
Sorry to hear it, they might have gone for the other person as they had experience.

As you're looking for your first job, try somewhere more accessible. I worked for Odeon as mine (well after doing waiting in a local pub), then Hollywood Bowl... pretty menial jobs but okay pay and hours.
Reply 7
I would try Next.
As far as I am aware they'll have plenty of xmas temps jobs coming up.
When I got a job there as a sales consultant, there were a few school-leavers with no work experience whatsoever, never mind references haha!

Just watch out for their pesky question-filter system when applying. So long as you keep sending applications your bound to get enough of the questions correct!
Original post by chris300
Sorry to hear it, they might have gone for the other person as they had experience.

As you're looking for your first job, try somewhere more accessible. I worked for Odeon as mine (well after doing waiting in a local pub), then Hollywood Bowl... pretty menial jobs but okay pay and hours.

I've just contacted about twenty different places and they all have no vacancies. :frown:
Original post by Debdener
I would try Next.
As far as I am aware they'll have plenty of xmas temps jobs coming up.
When I got a job there as a sales consultant, there were a few school-leavers with no work experience whatsoever, never mind references haha!

Just watch out for their pesky question-filter system when applying. So long as you keep sending applications your bound to get enough of the questions correct!

I tried that but they 'rejected' me. I supposedly got all the questions 'right' but I guess that my application was deemed not good enough.

Excluding my lack of experience, I do not think that I could improve on anything else; I don't want to seem arrogant but I'm a genuine person who is articulate and keen to learn. Meanwhile, I seem to constantly meet people with attitude problems who barely know - or at least seem to use - their native language (English) but seem to get jobs just fine! :frown:
I used to work for Wetherspoons, although I quit a couple of years ago, before work trials had really come in. Knowing the company though the habitually pay-docking little pieces of excrement they probably brought work trials in because they wanted free, willing labour for an afternoon. However, all they really want in an employee is someone who is willing, compliant and tries their best; I saw some absolute idiots be taken on.

It sounds like you were pipped to the post this time because someone else had experience. If there are other Wetherspoons in your town, then try applying to them. There's no communication between different pubs, and so you can start afresh with them, knowing what you know from your previous work trial (just don't mention that you have previously had a work trial!)

Finally - try hospitality agencies. They only want bodies with a pulse, and often don't care if you don't have any experience - but working for an agency gives you a vast array of experience that you could never get in a "steady" job - I've more than lost track of all the venues I've worked at through agencies.
Volunteer at your local charity shop, for a couple of weeks. That will give you some retail experience and a reference.

A friend of mine did this, at first she was rejected by Holland & Barrat for not being a "suitable" candidate. She applied again after doing 3 weeks at a charity shop and got the job.

I was like you first, with no experience other than a weeks worth of experience in a mechanic workshop back in secondary school. Now I volunteer at my local charity shop, I'm yet to apply for jobs. Fingers crossed I should get a job.
Original post by Origami Bullets
I used to work for Wetherspoons, although I quit a couple of years ago, before work trials had really come in. Knowing the company though the habitually pay-docking little pieces of excrement they probably brought work trials in because they wanted free, willing labour for an afternoon. However, all they really want in an employee is someone who is willing, compliant and tries their best; I saw some absolute idiots be taken on.

It sounds like you were pipped to the post this time because someone else had experience. If there are other Wetherspoons in your town, then try applying to them. There's no communication between different pubs, and so you can start afresh with them, knowing what you know from your previous work trial (just don't mention that you have previously had a work trial!)

Finally - try hospitality agencies. They only want bodies with a pulse, and often don't care if you don't have any experience - but working for an agency gives you a vast array of experience that you could never get in a "steady" job - I've more than lost track of all the venues I've worked at through agencies.

There are no other local Wetherspoons. The closest one would require going on a train, a bus and then walking. I could do that but it would cost me a lot of money. That particular Wetherspoons doesn't have any current vacancies anyway. As for them hiring 'idiots', try people with attitude problems too!

I'm hoping to get this temporary job at Boots but I'm feeling doubtful as it will most likely be very popular.
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
Volunteer at your local charity shop, for a couple of weeks. That will give you some retail experience and a reference.

A friend of mine did this, at first she was rejected by Holland & Barrat for not being a "suitable" candidate. She applied again after doing 3 weeks at a charity shop and got the job.

I was like you first, with no experience other than a weeks worth of experience in a mechanic workshop back in secondary school. Now I volunteer at my local charity shop, I'm yet to apply for jobs. Fingers crossed I should get a job.

I am definitely considering doing some volunteer work. I really do need a job right now so I'm willing to work for free if it results in taking a step further towards achieving this. I've applied for about five more jobs and two pubs have told me to hand in a CV and fill in an application. But as we all know, it's very competitive and they will almost always choose someone with experience, especially if they've been trained.
Original post by Smashing.Pumpkin
I am definitely considering doing some volunteer work. I really do need a job right now so I'm willing to work for free if it results in taking a step further towards achieving this. I've applied for about five more jobs and two pubs have told me to hand in a CV and fill in an application. But as we all know, it's very competitive and they will almost always choose someone with experience, especially if they've been trained.

I presume you are able to get job seekers (if you are able to get it and are currently not then fill out the form immediately).

Basically do what others have said here. Volunteer for a charity shop (its what I do).

My situation is I have finished an MSc and am currently unemployed. I have a range of previous experience and have been unemployed for the last month. I am getting no responses from the majority of applications, and have plans to study a PhD if I get funding. The job market is a complete nightmare with 20% youth unemployment. You are going to struggle to find work. I have already done around 30-40 applications and have had one or two rejection emails.

You just have to keep applying and something will eventually come along. For example I applied for the civil service grad scheme which I passed a bunch of online tests to get through to the interview stage so fingers crossed I might get a job at the end of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending