The Student Room Group

Whitehall Internships- Are white people allowed to apply?

I am planning on a career at the treasury starting in 2015. So to enhance my CV I looked on the Civil Service website and it seems you can only apply if you're an ethnic minority? Surely there must be laws against this? Is there a way around this?
really? And your proof for this is............................................?
Reply 2
You may be looking simply at a diversity internship, which is naturally designed to increase minority involvement in Whitehall placement schemes. There are lots of other opportunities and internships on offer though - the Treasury website has a detailed section on summer internships and (as far as I can see) the only requirement is that you're a UK/EU national.
Original post by Eloquai
You may be looking simply at a diversity internship, which is naturally designed to increase minority involvement in Whitehall placement schemes. There are lots of other opportunities and internships on offer though - the Treasury website has a detailed section on summer internships and (as far as I can see) the only requirement is that you're a UK/EU national.

Do you have a link? I can't find it.
Original post by Eloquai

Are you talking about the economic service?
Reply 5
Original post by usainlightning
Are you talking about the economic service?

as mentioned above the Whitehall internship placement scheme you were looking at is for ethnic minorities AND also low income background applicants. If you are not able to read then perhaps a Whitehall Internship is not the best idea for you
Reply 6
Original post by usainlightning
Do you have a link? I can't find it.

http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/networks/ges/student-placements
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-treasury/about/recruitment#work-experience

The Treasury has placement schemes for 6-12 weeks over the summer or for a year under the GES scheme but you need to be doing at least 50% of your degree modules in economics to apply.

If you're not an economics student then I would just recommend looking for some form of private sector internship....most people that join the civil service haven't done an internship in the civil service so its not going to make much difference. The civil service ones (ie the GES or Summer Diversity ones) aren't like some of the private ones where they make job offers to good summer students, they still have to join the graduate application process from the start.
Anyone who genuinely wants to apply for the civil service is best advised to refrain from personal attacks online. Take this from a former fast streamer who trains current civil servants. Note 7.4 of the civil service social media guidance at http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/news/lets-get-social/how-to-use-social-media
hi, I was on their two week internship, and i will be interning with them in a couple of weeks for the summer internship. i can tell you, there are loads of white people on it, its not based so much on race, but rather economic circumstances, although they do take race into consideration, this does not exclude white people. the point is, there were white people from not so middle class backgrounds, but no rich white kids.
My white, very middle class, young Tory nephew who went to a fee paying grammar school did an internship at DWP in London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending