The Student Room Group

PGCE interview

Hi,

Last Thursday I found out that I have my first interview at the IOE for PGCE Secondary History for this coming Thursday (13th March). I have been told on the day that there will be three tasks, and then those who are successful in the three tasks will then be shortlisted for a personal interview that same day. The tasks that I have to do are: a presentation of 5 minutes on a historical topic, a group discussion and written task in which we have to assess/comment on a pupil's work. However, I am a bit worried and confused about these three tasks, as the information that they provided on my interview email is quite unclear. Below is more information on what I am supposed to do on the day:

The first section of the day, for all invited applicants, will involve three short tasks and these will be observed by two members of the selection panel.

1. A 5 minute presentation of an idea that you have prepared in advance, describing and explaining a short sequence of lessons (3-5) focused on a historical topic to be taught to a Key Stage 3 class, centred on key questions. You should pay particular attention to how one of the lessons would be taught, and the others should be sketched in outline only. Careful consideration should be given to the historical thinking you would want the students to develop, and their engagement with the learning. The presentations will be observed by other applicants (approximately 5) as well as selection panel members. Note that you can choose any topic and that it does not need to match the current National Curriculum for history - it can be a topic not commonly taught in schools. During the presentation we will be looking for your ability to structure a short presentation, to present in a lively, confident and engaging fashion, to use your subject knowledge constructively and to show some understanding of what might be appropriate for 11-14 year olds. We do not expect you to demonstrate a deep knowledge and understanding of teaching and learning approaches. There will be no computer access on the day of the interview. You may use handouts (though you are not required to do so) but please keep these to a minimum.

2. A short group discussion about two accounts of a historical event, which will be given to you on the day.

3. An individual timed written task, in which you will be asked to assess and comment on a piece of written work from a Key Stage 3 student.

I am particularly worried about the first and third activities. With the first activity where I have to do a presentation on a sequence of lessons on a historical topic in 5 minutes, does this mean that I have to basically plan a scheme of work for 3 lessons and the activities I would use in 5 minutes? Also as it mentions that "you should pay particular attention to how one of the lessons would be taught, and the others should be sketched in outline only", I was just wondering what this exactly might mean? My initial interpretation of it was that I have to explain one lesson in depth for maybe 2 out of 5 minutes with teaching activities (with reasons why I am using them), and then just a list of what I would cover in subsequent 2 or 3 lesson, but I am very confused and worried about this. Also, as it mentions that my presentation should be structured, although I understand i will most probably have to have an intro, main body (being the lessons) and conclusion/summary, does anyone have any ideas as to how many minutes I could possibly allocate to each part? Also, with the third activity where it asks applicants to assess and mark a KS3 student's work, does anyone have any ideas or experience of this type of activity, and what it is asking to be done here - whether it is a case of marking students' work with level descriptors etc?

Apologies for asking a lot of questions here, but as it is my first interview, I am very confused and worried about the kinds of things interviewers are looking out for. I would be very grateful if someone could please help me with this, and provide possible advice, as it would really be beneficial to me. It would also be beneficial to hear from people (who did get interviews) what kind of environment it is (e.g. relaxed, formal, friendly etc.)

Reply 1
Original post by mjfisher17

I am particularly worried about the first and third activities. With the first activity where I have to do a presentation on a sequence of lessons on a historical topic in 5 minutes, does this mean that I have to basically plan a scheme of work for 3 lessons and the activities I would use in 5 minutes? Also as it mentions that "you should pay particular attention to how one of the lessons would be taught, and the others should be sketched in outline only", I was just wondering what this exactly might mean? My initial interpretation of it was that I have to explain one lesson in depth for maybe 2 out of 5 minutes with teaching activities (with reasons why I am using them), and then just a list of what I would cover in subsequent 2 or 3 lesson, but I am very confused and worried about this. Also, as it mentions that my presentation should be structured, although I understand i will most probably have to have an intro, main body (being the lessons) and conclusion/summary, does anyone have any ideas as to how many minutes I could possibly allocate to each part? Also, with the third activity where it asks applicants to assess and mark a KS3 student's work, does anyone have any ideas or experience of this type of activity, and what it is asking to be done here - whether it is a case of marking students' work with level descriptors etc?

Hi there, I don't have any experience with secondary level interviews I'm afraid but I'll give you some feedback for what it's worth! For the first part, I think you've interpreted it correctly. I'd structure it something like this:

- 1 minute (max) introduction on the subject you've chosen to talk about, why you've picked it, why you're interested in that particular historical subject, why it's relevant for a KS3 student, how it might fit in with other parts of the curriculum for different subjects etc

- 2 mins (max) on the first of the three lessons. Talk about the activities you'd do, how you would differentiate for different levels of ability, whether you'd include any extension work/homework etc. What you expect the students to have learnt by the end of the lesson.

- 90 seconds on a very brief outline of the following two lessons, how they'll progress from the initial lesson, what you'd expect them to learn/understand by the end of the three lessons.

-30 seconds of a round-up/conclusion/summary.

Five mins goes REALLY fast when you start talking so just try to be confident, enthusiastic and remember the importance of eye-contact!

In terms of assessing a students' work, make sure you familiarise yourself with the levels of attainment expected for a KS3 pupil. Take a look at the national curriculum to give you some guidance.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending