The Student Room Group

I got a telephone interview but do not know the name of the role

I went mad and started applying for lots of jobs, I got a telephone interview for a position, I checked my history and can't find the name of the role. The email the company sent does not mention the name of the role. Would it be rude to send an email asking for the name of the position and job description?
Reply 1
Yeah it would be. You're going to have to retrace your steps and find out what you applied for; it has to be written down somewhere.
Reply 2
You could try replying to the email saying something like "Thanks very much, could you tell me a little more about the role to help me prepare for the interview?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you can't find out before the phone interview, just ask when they call you. Say you've applied for many things and you've lost track, or that you're expecting another phone call so you just want to make sure. If it seems rude then so be it, it's better than doing what I did and guessing which one it was. I was asked a question about what I'd do if *something generic* and I tailored my response to the role I thought it was which is when she said "uh... this is for x position".
Happens to me all the time, had 4 tel interviews in one week, this is after applying for over 20 jobs, I remember the role but couldn't remember the exact name, they all went well but opted for a better job where I had the interview in person.

One advice, most telephone interviews are preliminary interviews, so try not to be rehearsed, just be confident and tell them you can do it all.
Reply 5
Original post by anita21
You could try replying to the email saying something like "Thanks very much, could you tell me a little more about the role to help me prepare for the interview?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

good advice :smile:
Original post by sliceofcake
If you can't find out before the phone interview, just ask when they call you. Say you've applied for many things and you've lost track, or that you're expecting another phone call so you just want to make sure. If it seems rude then so be it, it's better than doing what I did and guessing which one it was. I was asked a question about what I'd do if *something generic* and I tailored my response to the role I thought it was which is when she said "uh... this is for x position".

Bad idea, don't give advice if you have no idea what you're talking about.

As I said, pretend to know who they are, what the job is, you will never get away with asking what the job role is, you will come across as a complete moronic ****.
Reply 7
Original post by Maths and cheesecake
Bad idea, don't give advice if you have no idea what you're talking about.

As I said, pretend to know who they are, what the job is, you will never get away with asking what the job role is, you will come across as a complete moronic ****.

Actually, expecting someone to remember all the jobs they applied for is idiotic..
Original post by ForgetMe
Actually, expecting someone to remember all the jobs they applied for is idiotic..

Keep records? When I was job hunting I had a spreadsheet with links to the job description and the stage of each application.
Reply 9
I think retracing your steps is your best bet. That happened to me not too long ago when I was offered an interview by email for a position I was unsure of as I'd applied to so many jobs. Retracing my steps enabled to find out what it was. Asking the employer what the position would be a fatal faux pas. Even if you genuinely forgot due to so many applications, to the employer you won't come across as serious if you don't even know what you're interviewing for and you run the risk of them thinking you're just wasting their time.

Where did you apply for this job? Did you get offered this interview by email?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending