The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE A level Grades

If applying for a course at the LSE with an A level Grade Requirement of AAA, considering how competitive its courses are, would an A*A*AA/A*A*AB prediction be good enough to get in?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by dd1234
If applying for a course at the LSE with an A level Grade Requirement of AAA, considering how competitive its courses are, would an A*A*AA/A*A*AB prediction be good enough to get in?

Thanks

More than the likely, my predicted grades were similar to that (well I think they were anyways) and I received an offer for accounting and finance (which alas I will have probably decline after results day). Your Personal statement is what counts, just make out your a wonderful intelligent person with wide ranging interests

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by paddey7
More than the likely, my predicted grades were similar to that (well I think they were anyways) and I received an offer for accounting and finance (which alas I will have probably decline after results day). Your Personal statement is what counts, just make out your a wonderful intelligent person with wide ranging interests

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks,
do you think the B grade would be bad?
Sorry to hear about your declining the offer, hope you get the results you want!
Reply 3
Original post by dd1234
Thanks,
do you think the B grade would be bad?
Sorry to hear about your declining the offer, hope you get the results you want!

Hard to say, should be alright, I mean I did 2 blacklisted subjects and it didn't effect me too much. Nah its fine :smile: it was a difficult choice but I decided I would enjoy studying economics (at trinity college Dublin) a lot more than accounting and finance. Thanks:smile: what course are you planning to apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Great, thanks, I was just checking because I'm not entirely what my teachers would predict me for further maths as the grades haven't been confirmed yet :/ Thats a great choice and a really good university from what I have heard, good job :smile: I am applying for government and economics at LSE and politics and economics for the rest ( similar)- do you know what the average applicant would have for this course or related course?
Reply 5
Original post by dd1234
Great, thanks, I was just checking because I'm not entirely what my teachers would predict me for further maths as the grades haven't been confirmed yet :/ Thats a great choice and a really good university from what I have heard, good job :smile: I am applying for government and economics at LSE and politics and economics for the rest ( similar)- do you know what the average applicant would have for this course or related course?

Need to get in first but I'm reasonably confident (standing on 4As from previous ASs) I'll get in, hopefully to study Economics and History:smile: (or if not that, similar economic joint degrees at the same uni) also thanks :smile: Excellent choice of course, economics is interesting :biggrin: , 3 As most likely, with at least one being in Maths, also I wish you good luck with getting a place. If I might suggest, you should read Heilbroner 'Worldly Philosophers' or anything by Paul Krugman to show your wider reading in regards to economic. In regard to politics, Plato republic and Aristotle politics are interesting reads and would look on your PS but that's digressing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by paddey7
Need to get in first but I'm reasonably confident (standing on 4As from previous ASs) I'll get in, hopefully to study Economics and History:smile: (or if not that, similar economic joint degrees at the same uni) also thanks :smile: Excellent choice of course, economics is interesting :biggrin: , 3 As most likely, with at least one being in Maths, also I wish you good luck with getting a place. If I might suggest, you should read Heilbroner 'Worldly Philosophers' or anything by Paul Krugman to show your wider reading in regards to economic. In regard to politics, Plato republic and Aristotle politics are interesting reads and would look on your PS but that's digressing

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great, hopefully you will get in! I actually have a copy of the Worldy Philosophers on my shelf and am intending on reading it within the next few weeks! Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely have a look at Paul Krugman :smile: For politics, is Machiavelli a good one to bring up- (I know its a controversial theory) :rolleyes:
Also, do I have to read the entire books before submitting my applications, would it be okay just to mention a few things from each book as I don't have that much time?
Reply 7
Original post by dd1234
That's great, hopefully you will get in! I actually have a copy of the Worldy Philosophers on my shelf and am intending on reading it within the next few weeks! Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely have a look at Paul Krugman :smile: For politics, is Machiavelli a good one to bring up- (I know its a controversial theory) :rolleyes:
Also, do I have to read the entire books before submitting my applications, would it be okay just to mention a few things from each book as I don't have that much time?

Its a good read :smile: Yes krugman is good,,a strong proponent of Keynesian polices .Well while the prince is an interesting read. Depends on how you mention it, maybe to highlight that real politics is based on "might is right" or to paraphrase Thucydides "the strong do what they can, the weak suffer what they must". Realpolitik is the term I believe. If you can mention it in an intelligent manner, certainly go ahead :smile: well I'm somewhat bias in that I prefer reading the entire book, however if your time is short, go for it, just make sure it's not a superficial mention, like Machiavelli said feelings were bad in politics or similar nonsense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by paddey7
Its a good read :smile: Yes krugman is good,,a strong proponent of Keynesian polices .Well while the prince is an interesting read. Depends on how you mention it, maybe to highlight that real politics is based on "might is right" or to paraphrase Thucydides "the strong do what they can, the weak suffer what they must". Realpolitik is the term I believe. If you can mention it in an intelligent manner, certainly go ahead :smile: well I'm somewhat bias in that I prefer reading the entire book, however if your time is short, go for it, just make sure it's not a superficial mention, like Machiavelli said feelings were bad in politics or similar nonsense

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I will definitely not say that haha I am going to read as much as I can of each book, but if I don't have time to finish I will just draw some conclusions from what I have read already :smile: Yeah, I think realpolitik that is right, I will have a look into it more :smile: Do you know what time is it best to submit applications for UCAS?
Reply 9
Original post by dd1234
Thanks, I will definitely not say that haha I am going to read as much as I can of each book, but if I don't have time to finish I will just draw some conclusions from what I have read already :smile: Yeah, I think realpolitik that is right, I will have a look into it more :smile: Do you know what time is it best to submit applications for UCAS?

Good stuff :smile: yea sounds like a good plan, at the risk of even adding to your already long reading list. If you have an interest in realpolitik, you should read John bew biography of Castlereagh, the British foreign Secretary during the Napoleonic wars who was a master of realpolitik (and my favourite Irish man from history lol though that could be left till after you sent off tour UCAS) Early as possible, I sent mines in and around the 10th ish of October, got an offer back in late November/Early December :smile: so I would say then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by paddey7
Good stuff :smile: yea sounds like a good plan, at the risk of even adding to your already long reading list. If you have an interest in realpolitik, you should read John bew biography of Castlereagh, the British foreign Secretary during the Napoleonic wars who was a master of realpolitik (and my favourite Irish man from history lol though that could be left till after you sent off tour UCAS) Early as possible, I sent mines in and around the 10th ish of October, got an offer back in late November/Early December :smile: so I would say then

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great, thanks- haha, I will have a look :smile: Ok, I'll apply around then :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by dd1234
Great, thanks- haha, I will have a look :smile: Ok, I'll apply around then :biggrin:

Nb at all, any time:smile: yea, I think it improves your chances as there is more places up for grab

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by paddey7
Nb at all, any time:smile: yea, I think it improves your chances as there is more places up for grab

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending