The Student Room Group

Should students have to wear school uniform during their GCSEs?

Poll

Should students have to wear uniform during GCSEs?

In my opinion, although people say wearing school uniform creates an 'academic atmosphere', it's pointless to wear uniform (especially if it's just for one or two exams) and then going home, changing back and revise. It may not be a huge waste of time, but it's pointless, especially when the teachers know who you are anyway.

Scroll to see replies

Yes you should becasue they mess about when no uniform (last year when I finished)
Reply 2
Original post by ckfeister
Yes you should becasue they mess about when no uniform (last year when I finished)

People in my school don't mess about during Mufti Day; perhaps your school is different. If most sixth formers don't have to wear uniform, I ask why should those taking public exams in Year 11 (which is almost right before they go to sixth form) have to?
Original post by flibber
People in my school don't mess about during Mufti Day; perhaps your school is different. If most sixth formers don't have to wear uniform, I ask why should those taking public exams in Year 11 (which is almost right before they go to sixth form) have to?

When you complete year 11 you got two choices...
College or Sixth Form (Originally Sixth Form was ment for A-Level but my school is so bad they hardly get Es in A-Levels they just do BTEC which is why I went)

College -- No uniform and matured people if your 16 to whatever age.

Sixth Form -- Not over with school and want to continue as you like it there and you wear anything smart (so techincally still uniform)
I think you should be able to wear what you feel comfortable in whether it is your own clothes or your uniform because if you feel good you are more likely to perform better :smile:
Original post by VioletPhillippo
I think you should be able to wear what you feel comfortable in whether it is your own clothes or your uniform because if you feel good you are more likely to perform better :smile:

No just no, if people wear there own then you get a few wearing uniform then they be bullied.
No just no, if people wear there own then you get a few wearing uniform then they be bullied.

No they won't be bullied for wearing uniform especially not at my school, no one will be bothered about what others are wearing anyway, they will be focused on doing well in the exam. Also if you give people the choice most people will come in their own clothes anyway.
Well you must be in a grammar school or something.
Reply 8
Well you must be in a grammar school or something.

I go to a grammar school, but although people used to laugh if I came in uniform in a Mufti Day when everyone else went in their own clothes, that doesn't even count as bullying- in my opinion, verbal abuse has to be continuous and severe to count as bullying.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by flibber
I go to a grammar school, but although people used to laugh if I came in uniform in a Mufti Day when everyone else went in their own clothes, that doesn't even count as bullying- in my opinion, verbal abuse has to be continuous and severe to count as bullying.

It would be continuous if non uniform day was every day and not just a one off...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, although during my Physics exam, I was so hot that my legs were practically stuck to the plastic chair and I was so uncomfortable, I kept having to move around. Ugh. I still got 98 - 100 UMS in that exam, though, so no complaints!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Paulska_
It would be continuous if non uniform day was every day and not just a one off...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said every day; I said during the GCSE exam period. In fact, by Year 11, people in my school have grown up enough to not bully people who choose to come in uniform since they have a life (no offence to bullies)- plus everyone knows each other really well by Year 11.
Reply 12
Original post by Edminzodo
Yes, although during my Physics exam, I was so hot that my legs were practically stuck to the plastic chair and I was so uncomfortable, I kept having to move around. Ugh. I still got 98 - 100 UMS in that exam, though, so no complaints!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be my worst nightmare in an exam- not being able to focus 75% of the time!
Original post by flibber
That would be my worst nightmare in an exam- not being able to focus 75% of the time!

And I have a horrific attention span, anyway! Let's not get started on the exam where a bird landed on the tin roof . . . Ugh!
Reply 14
Original post by Edminzodo
And I have a horrific attention span, anyway! Let's not get started on the exam where a bird landed on the tin roof . . . Ugh!

What happened on that occasion?
Yes.

During our mocks we had a mufti day, on the same day as our maths exam. The idiot sitting in front of me decided to wear one of those stupid hipster t-shirts with a ton of formulas on it. She got an A*. To this day I still wonder...
Original post by flibber
What happened on that occasion?

The teachers tried to get rid of it but it was on the roof of the sports hall. It flew away of its own accord, eventually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Our school does non-uniform on exam days.....
Coming from a seriously deprived family, I loved the idea of the uniform... I even wish sixthforms would implement it, as some students are unable to spend as much money buying the latest fashion crazes and can sometimes feel marginalised as a result I feel
Original post by R Dragon
Coming from a seriously deprived family, I loved the idea of the uniform... I even wish sixthforms would implement it, as some students are unable to spend as much money buying the latest fashion crazes and can sometimes feel marginalised as a result I feel

Well I understand what your saying and thats the reason most schools have uniform, but during exam day, I am pretty sure that no one is going to be checking out how expensive your clothes are, they will all be going over revision notes lol. Anyways I can't afford anything better than Primark and my mates are fine with that!:smile:

Latest