The Student Room Group

Work Experience

hello I am currently 15 and trying to organise as much work experience I can, in order to get into vet school, I am trying to make myself look as impressive as possible especially as I am not the most academic as I am targeted to get a B in maths and As in English and my sciences at GCSE, I was wondering what else in terms of work experience I can do to make myself stand out?

work experience I have or planned...
4 days junior pony club camp help
1 day equine vets
5 day equine vets
5 day cattery
5 day dairy farm
5 day equine vet
5 day small animal vet
5 day exotics and small animal vet
3 day abattoir
5 day farm
5 day kennels
5 day calving at a dairy farm
5 day small animal vet
5 day zoo
5 day small animal vet
5 day small animal vet
5 day lambing
(each is a separate practise or business, this is why I repeated myself)
try get written feedback from all of the practises and businesses
Oh wow that's loads. You'll basically be covering everything but if you wanted further ideas some people manage to get experience at laboratories. Other ideas could include animal shelters (Dogs Trust/Cats Protection or whatever), seal sanctuaries, dog groomers and even greyhound/horse racing tracks. Don't worry about those too much though, since you're already getting a few of the fancier placements and a fair bit more experience than a lot of people will have!

Another idea is to get a couple of long term placements in addition to the solid weeks you have planned. Is there any chance you could, for example, go to a vet once per week after school? Or spend one day per weekend at a farm? These help to show dedication and the hours you spend every week really add up! :smile:

Bear in mind that some universities have restrictions on how old your work experience can be (e.g. for RVC it must be within 18 months), so it may also be worth 'repeating' some placements to ensure that they occur within this period.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Hello
Thanks for your help, I volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary and rehabilitation centre every week and have been doing so for 6 months so far, does this count? Or would I need to work in a vets regularly?
Original post by alice013
Hello
Thanks for your help, I volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary and rehabilitation centre every week and have been doing so for 6 months so far, does this count? Or would I need to work in a vets regularly?

Yep, that counts. :smile:

You don't *have* to work at a vet regularly, no :nah: T'was just a suggestion, although I'd definitey encorage you to do it if the opportunity arises.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending