The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No idea, 19-22 Dec Green Alpha Lincoln Hall, you? :smile:
Reply 2
19-22, Blue(3), Beta, Cavandish hall:P
Medlink.... HAHA!!

Waste of money. Why not go to some decent seminars, which are a lot cheaper and give you the same advice.

I am going to one called EPOC and one at my local hospital. What about the Imperial.

Anyways, you do get a "free" stethoscope which is cool. :biggrin:

Have a good time... :smile:
I'm going from the 19th-22nd too. I haven't found out my group / hall yet since it's organised through my school and the head hasn't given our packs yet.

It might be a money scam - but hey it's a useful scam.
Reply 5
Speedbird2007
Medlink.... HAHA!!

Waste of money. Why not go to some decent seminars, which are a lot cheaper and give you the same advice.
I am going to one called EPOC and one at my local hospital. What about the Imperial.

Anyways, you do get a "free" stethoscope which is cool. :biggrin:

Have a good time... :smile:

:rolleyes: God, you realy are a dick lol.

I've read so many of your posts, all of which are bull****. Have you been to medilink? NO! How do I know this? You have just started year 12, have you not?

The last useless comment I heard you make, was along the lines of straight "A's" minimum are required at GCSE for medicine. This was followed by some quite abrupt replies from current medics:p:

Some of us are not fortunate enough to have large hosptials which run such schemes, and university run workshops often require very high grades due to the limited amounts of spaces. Besides, if you have the money, why not speand it:wink:

p.s. you have contriDICted yourself in your above message - if they are decent seminars and medlink is ****, why do they privde the SAME advice?
Reply 6
!MEna
I'm going from the 19th-22nd too. I haven't found out my group / hall yet since it's organised through my school and the head hasn't given our packs yet.

It might be a money scam - but hey it's a useful scam.

Cool man. Try find out, you never know, we may get chance to meet:p:
Pollypeptide
:rolleyes: God, you realy are a dick lol.

I've read so many of your posts, all of which are bull****. Have you been to medilink? NO! How do I know this? You have just started year 12, have you not?

The last useless comment I heard you make, was along the lines of straight "A's" minimum are required at GCSE for medicine. This was followed by some quite abrupt replies from current medics:p:

Some of us are not fortunate enough to have large hosptials which run such schemes, and university run workshops often require very high grades due to the limited amounts of spaces. Besides, if you have the money, why not speand it:wink:

p.s. you have contriDICted yourself in your above message - if they are decent seminars and medlink is ****, why do they privde the SAME advice?

He's actually right .. Medlink is a waste of time. All you'll do is get pissed every night with some mates.

There's loads more better seminars than Medlink such as at Imperial PotMed run by the Islamic Med Students soc there (or something like that) that'll give you better advice and even give you a mock interview at the end of the day and feedback.

And if you're going thinking it'll look impressive on your application, don't. So will over 5000 other people. Many admissions tutors also disregard it.
Reply 8
I heard from my mates last year that did it that medlink is also known as "Nottingham Piss Up 2007"

They said its a waste of money and they learnt nothing at all except getting wasted every nite. Mind you that isnt a bad idea for 300 quid
Reply 9
Another medlink thread? :wtf?:
Reply 10
I know everyone's going to shoot me, but I had a great time at medlink. Of course merely having the name on my application form didn't help me get in, but it gave me a lot more ideas about the sorts of things I needed to be doing, and for the first time in my life I met large numbers of people who didn't dismiss me out of hand for being clever, and who had similar interests to me (I'm the only one from my year at school doing Medicine). Maybe I was a fool to fall for it but I found bits of it pretty inspiring, as someone who had very little proper medical exposure at that time.

Yes, it's expensive and yes, if you have access to other conferences they're probably good too (I went to Medlink back in 2000 so I have no idea if these other thingies were even running). But I really enjoyed myself, and without getting drunk either!
There's also the RUMS (UCL) thing, 5 quid to get into, 15th December!
It made me realise things I hadn't done (such as seeing anything to do with primary care), was good fun yeah.

However, dont believe any of the marketing extra stuff they give you. Its rubbish/lies/overpriced. Stick with the main bit you pay for.

Does it help you application directly? Not a bit. Shouldn't necessarily be avoided because of this though
Reply 13
digitalis
There's also the RUMS (UCL) thing, 5 quid to get into, 15th December!

Mate, NO!

RUMS should never be mentioned in a medwank thread... :eek:

Hang your cranium in SHAME!!!
Reply 14
Pollypeptide

I managed to get work experience which was not under a scheme of any sort at a (relatively small) district general hospital in a small, £500k a year (apparently) in the red NHS trust, off my own back. No need to attend Medlink or anything of the sort when you can simply get work experience to find out about Medicine and its drawbacks/good points.
Reply 15
:rolleyes: No loss to me. My school is paying for me, and all 13 others:wink:
Reply 16
Meh ... that's alright for some. I had to pay £250 myself to go last year :mad:
RUMS should never be mentioned in a medwank thread...

Really?! How come, this is something new...now curious :biggrin:
Pollypeptide
:rolleyes: No loss to me. My school is paying for me, and all 13 others:wink:

In that case please stop wasting tax payers money, kthxbai

Unless you're private school :rolleyes:
Reply 19
digitalis
Really?! How come

It's disrespectful... :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending