The Student Room Group

Sussex Life

Hello,

I'm off to do a DPhil in Biochemistry at the University of Sussex in Sept. I just wondered what off-campus student houses are like, where postgrads tend to live and the sort of prices etc?

I pay £40 per week here in Nottingham in a really nice house, and I was thinking in terms of double that?

Any further info about student life in Sussex is welcomed. Whenever I tell anyone I'm moving to Brighton they inform me its the gay capital of the UK - I'm starting to get paranoid...!

Roz.
Reply 1
Ohh! Who's gonna be your supervisor?

Brighton is fab! Don't worry about the gay tag - plenty of red blooded straight men knocking about there too!
Oh, hi Jo - howz medicine going?

Fluffy
Ohh! Who's gonna be your supervisor?

Well, you probably won't approve :wink: but its a collaboration between Alan Lehmann and Tony Carr. Looking at the switch between normal replicative and translesion polymerase via the sumoylation/ubiquitylation of the sliding clamp in yeast and XP cells.

I'm looking at the replisome at the minute with my final year project, but that's in Bacillus, so I'm looking forward to getting my head round S. cerevisiae/pombe and human cells!!

I f*cked up the interview at Oxford, but in all fairness, I think the placed at Sussex is much better - I fell in love with the Genome Damage and Stability Centre :biggrin:

Fluffy
Brighton is fab! Don't worry about the gay tag - plenty of red blooded straight men knocking about there too!

Well, gays are always dead open minded, which is cool. I was just amused that everyone mentions it - as if I'd be easily converted :wink:

I just need somewhere to live!!!! ARGH.

Roz.
Reply 3
I love Tony! He's a top guy! Alan did my lab mates D.Phil viva - he's top as well!

Ahh! The delights of Pombe, 'silly yeast', and man! Pombe is a better organisim for modelling human conditions and 'Silly Yeast' is better for drinking :smile:
Reply 4
PS medicine rocks!

Having the time of my life! It's RAG week this week so I am knackered! And I nearly lost my arm yesterday in a tube door :frown:
Fluffy
I love Tony! He's a top guy! Alan did my lab mates D.Phil viva - he's top as well!

Urgh, I'm sure you were the one that said Tony could be dead difficult to get on with. If you did, I'm glad I ignored it coz I thought they were both really nice :smile: and definitely top blokes :biggrin:

Apparently Tony hates Italians though. He's unbelieveably tall as well - made me feel like a total midget!!

I like the idea of having two supervisors as well. And they both have big, experienced lab groups. And the Centre is nice and new :biggrin: Alan and Tony designed it themselves. You have one group's lab, a glass wall, a write-up/computer area with lockers etc, another glass wall, and then another, related group's lab. Dead clever. The only downside is that I have to do a presentation twice a month rather than once a month coz I'm part of two groups.

Oh, and I can have my own undergraduate tutorial group! How cool is that?!

Fluffy
Ahh! The delights of Pombe, 'silly yeast', and man! Pombe is a better organisim for modelling human conditions and 'Silly Yeast' is better for drinking :smile:

Lol. Or eating!

Why is S. pombe better anyway? How long do they take to grow? Is culturing really dissimilar from E. coli aside of using nutritional selectable markers rather than antibiotics. I've never done tissue culture either - its gonna be a fun learning curve!!

Glad you're loving medicine and rag-raiding! I'll have to come and visit you when I move down to Brighton.

Roz.
Reply 6
Sussex is great, i live here and love it. However, accomodation can be quite expensive and i think you'll be lucky if you find somewhere for £40 a week!! Brighton is called the gay capital but i really don't come into contact with gay people that much...they are plently of hetrosexual people here too! :biggrin: If you want any info about anything else feel free to PM me.
Reply 7
No - the 'difficult' one was one of the Oxford ones... :wink:

Yeast smells far nice than E-Coli - buy you'll probably be growing lots of that too if you're cloning anything to use to transform yeast...

Latest

Trending

Trending