Astrophysics degree personal statement example (1a)

I have always enjoyed trying to find out how things work and why they work that way. When I was younger it was mechanical but as I grew older the emphasis shifted to more scientific explanations. At G.C.S.E. this interest found a home in the subject of physics. It enthralled me and encouraged me to read and lap up information of the universe and all aspects of the subject. As A level with a better understanding of physics I re-read a brief history of time and went on to read in search of Schordingers Cat and An Elegant Universe by B. Green. It was from these books my interest in Astrophysics and cosmology was nurtured and grew into the aspect of physics which I enjoyed most and most interested me. From early in my A level's I formulated a theory of my own which I adapted and expanded as my knowledge grew, on the formation of the universe. It is now with my keen interest in this aspect of physics I wish to continue to increase my knowledge and understanding so that I can take it farther.

Other than my interest in physics and Astrophysics I enjoy helping out in local amateur theatrical groups and productions by working in the technical crew, as a lighting and sound engineer. Myself and two other people assemble a technical crew and a setup to set a budget to aid the production. For the production of Fame by Prince William School I produced a CD for the cast using live recordings and Digital editing on my PC. This leads to my interest in computing, for, using programs, programming and sound production and editing.

I enjoy sports, I swim, ski, play tennis and golf, sail and play badminton. In addition to this I am heavily involved in the local men's basketball team which I helped set last year. In our first year we entered the 2nd division and came 2nd and won the League trophy.

In the sixth form I fund rise by running and stocking a vending machine. I am a sixth form prefect and representative. The duties include organising events, monitoring an area and representing the 6th form views and wishes. During my A levels I have also helped out in classes teaching alongside the normal teacher. I have been involved in a class leading up to their G.C.S.E.'s and taken on year 9 classes also.

I work part time at the local Supermarket as a supervisor over between 3 and 8 people, and have been there for 2 years.