Personal Statement - Management 5

Management Personal Statement 5

The depth and breadth of a management course which encompasses many different disciplines from economics to human resources to law and social sciences is hugely appealing to me. I have also enjoyed some of the specific aspects of my GCSE and A-Level business studies course; motivational theorists, accounting concepts, price elasticity of demand, organisational culture and leadership styles. "Game Theory at Work: How to Use Game Theory to Outthink and Outmanoeuvre Your Competition" by James D Miller, has enthralled me at how a manager can use game theory to make an informed decision especially in the case of Nash Equilibria. My studies and related experiences have consolidated my decision to complete a degree within management.

Business studies has helped me to develop my analytical and evaluative skills in a set context of business, both in terms of using quantitative and qualitative data. This has helped me to think rationally and look at both sides of a problem and find a workable solution. It has also improved my essay writing through thinking and writing succinctly to allow a clear line of thought. A-Level mathematics has not only improved my problem solving by having to solve trigonometry and simultaneous equations questions, but has also allowed me to develop my interest in the statistical side of maths, from comparing data via standard deviation to calculating correlation and extrapolating data. Throughout my A-level German course I have developed my confidence in communicating in another language which I have transferred into my expression in English. All of the skills that I have gained during my A-levels not only co-ordinate but complement each other, which I believe will help me as they support the analytical, communicative and statistical side of a management degree. I am confident and competent in a range of ICT applications after completing a level 3 Btec Certificate in Information Technology. This has allowed me to become more aware of skills and attributes of successful managers and leaders such as Jamie Dimon, CEO of JPMorgan and Tim Cook, CEO of Apple. To further my breadth of study I am completing an EPQ about the economic climate within the Eurozone and some of the causes and possible solutions to the problem. To complement my studies I am taking AS Critical Thinking; which should help me throughout my A2s and a management degree as the skills include recognising and constructing arguments. By completing these extra courses of study alongside enrichment activities, I will achieve the AQA Baccalaureate, which I believe will prepare me thoroughly for a course at a higher education level.

I am an appointed prefect after a successful application and interview. This means that I have a range of responsibilities, I am attached to a year 9 form group and the business studies department and my organisational skills have improved as a result of this. I am also part of the charity prefect team, where I have helped to organise a non-uniform day. Out of school, I have had the opportunity to carry out a week of work experience in a department store in Aachen, Germany. During this I completed a range of tasks such as; working at the till, talking confidently to customers who needed help in German and organising products into the right area for sale. This experience enabled me to develop my team working and communication skills. In addition to work experience, I have a passion for playing the piano outside of school and have recently passed Grade 5; this has taught me time management skills due to having to balance practice with and without my piano teacher and my school studies.

I feel that my experiences have contributed towards becoming a hard-working, ambitious, thoughtful and reflective student for which a degree in management would greatly contribute to a good grounding for a career either in business management or banking.

• LSE (N200) - Offer (AAB with an A in Maths) Firm (Missed But Accepted)
  • Bristol (N200) - Offer (AAB with an A in Maths) Insurance
  • Glasgow (N200) - Offer (ABB)
  • St Andrews (N200) - Withdrawn
  • Warwick (N200) - Withdrawn

• Maths (A2) - A*
  • Business Studies (A2) - B
  • German (A2) - B
  • EPQ - A*
  • Critical Thinking (AS) - D
  • Btec Level 3 certificate for ICT Practitioners - Dist*
  • AQA Baccalaureate - Merit