Personal Statement:Medicine 53

Medicine Personal Statement

I find the amalgamation of science and humanity in medicine immensely and utterly profoundly appealing. All doctors must have a vast amount of scientific knowledge and many skills at their disposal. Their job becomes unique however, if they create a trusting relationship with the patients through honesty and respect. A doctor is the confidant of the patient, and someone whose words could sometimes be as powerful as drugs. My passion in science and delight in interacting with people of all backgrounds inspires me to pursue a career in medicine.

At A level my confidence in practical tasks has grown immensely. It has been very rewarding to find that I am skilled at dissection and titration for example. I thoroughly enjoy Biology because of the complexity of human anatomy, and the action of organs for maintaining health. Chemistry is fascinating and the Salters’ course consistently emphasises its usefulness in medicine. In 2006, I came 42nd out of 20,000 students in an annual academic exam in Iran when I received an award for my participation in the Chemistry Olympiad. Mathematics has always been my strength and I am aware of its application in medical research, such as cancer modelling.

My voluntary work with St John Ambulance taught me valuable lessons about teamwork and the similarity of the first aider’s duty to that of a doctor; the patient’s interest. During training, I learned some theoretical and practical concepts of first aid, and had the opportunity to apply the skills from my training including treating bleeding, hypoglycaemia and heat exhaustion while in the field. During my voluntary work at a care home I was introduced to providing basic care and a sympathetic approach to the elderly. My duties here included serving the residents, accompanying the disabled residents to their homes but more enlightening than I would ever have imagined was simply conversing with the residents. I was pleased to learn that I get a real sense of fulfilment from helping the handicapped and that this helped to make the more unpleasant tasks seem more rewarding.

I gained an insight into the role of laboratory analysis in the microbiology department at Hull hospital. Working with a consultant microbiologist was the main highlight as I became aware of the demands and the importance of microbiology in medicine. She also introduced me to the significance of confidentiality and the current microbiology issues such as AH1N1, MRSA and antibiotic resistance. Working in different sections of the lab such as general bench and faecal, familiarised me with bacteria-identification processes such as the Gram Test. I was given the chance to carry out simple tasks such as spreading the specimen into specific plates and use machines such as flow cytometry. A two-week placement at a dental practice allowed me to experience a similar situation to that of a GP conducting a surgery. Especially relevant was observing the stress caused by demanding patients and the dentist’s composed response to such conditions. This also included observing surgeries such as Root Canal Treatment, Botox injections and X-rays which are used by doctors. Outside of academic life, swimming and ice-skating are pastimes I find enjoyable and relaxing. I achieved a silver medal in 50m breaststroke in a respected club competition in Tehran. I have been learning leadership skills as a prefect and a member of the school charity committee where we aim to organise money raising events. I also work in the Oxfam charity shop voluntarily and help students in our Junior School with their reading.

Overall, I have tried to gain an insight in to the demands and the rewards, as well as the intellectual and emotional challenges of a medical career. I have been expanding my knowledge further by reading articles and magazines like the BMJ. I am now, more than ever convinced that this is the vocation for me and I believe that my personality suits this career because I am determined, hard-working and passionate about providing care.

• Cambridge-Fitzwilliam (Medicine A100) - Rejection
  • UCL (Medicine A100) - Offer (AAA) - Firm
  • St. George's (Medicine A100) -Rejection
  • Barts and London School of Medicine (Medicine A100) - Withdrawn
  • Bath (Biochemistry A100) - Offer (AAA)

• GCSEs: 4A*s and 7As.
  • Mathematics (A2) - A*
  • Further Mathematics (AS) - A
  • Biology (AS) - A
  • Chemistry (AS) - A
  • UKCAT: 560, 660, 720 and 670