The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Are their any animes better than Naruto,Bleach,One Piece,Deathnote and Code Gueass???
Original post by economist2
Are their any animes better than Naruto,Bleach,One Piece,Deathnote and Code Gueass???

I've started watching Attack On Titan, really good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scienceisgood
I don't drop after the first episode because otherwise, it would kill it.
I watched Black Butler and if I judged it based on the first episode, I would never have watched the rest which I have to admit is on of the better animes I have seen. =P
Seriously, first episode is crap + infinitely boring.

I usually watch the first 3 episodes of a short anime and 10 for longer ones to give it their best shot. :biggrin:

EDIT:
Same would apply for FMAB because the first 13 episodes = basically FMA condensed into 13 eps. =l

It's been a few years since I watched it, but I remember really liking the first episode of Black Butler/Kuroshitsuji, myself. :dontknow: Skimming through it now, there's plenty that appeals to me - Sebastian's over-the-top butler skills, the amusing incompetence of the other servants in comparison, and the darker, creepy scenes towards the end. Great soundtrack, too. Chances are I'd have picked it up if it was new this season, while the similar summer offering Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist didn't impress me at all.

As for FMA:B, I wouldn't have dropped that based on the rushed recap, I'd have at least given it until the 'new' (i.e manga material that wasn't in the first anime) started. Again using an example from this season, I gave Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen the benefit of the doubt, even though its first episode was basically an abridged version of 8 manga volumes in 20 minutes.

Lastly, while I do admit that making decisions based purely on one episode might not be the best method, it's certainly one of the quickest. Besides, if I watch too much of a bad anime, it might start to grow on me, then I may end up watching half a dozen 'guilty pleasure' shows. :p: And if I skip a series that turns out to be really popular, I can always go back to it later. :yes:
(edited 10 years ago)
oh man Naruto getting epic :excited: 5 against 1 :coma: that body blow :sogood:

Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Already had a sneaky look at whats coming up for the next season. Shant say for obvious reasons but i'm not greatly impressed.

:eek: Hajime no Ippo season 3 yess yesss yessssssssssss :dice: screw everything else :awesome:
(edited 10 years ago)

In my opinion, the Umineku series is better than Death Note or to say the least, on par given you have to figure it out rather than it be handed on a plate to you. =l

Although, some of my top animes are the following (in no particular order, so hard to order them!)

1. Sword Art Online
2. Black Butler
3. Ao No Exorcist
4. Umineku series
5. Angel Beats (Music ftw!)
6. Attack on titan
7. Clanned (Comedy is great)
8. Fairy Tail
9. Heaven's Lost Property (Comedy is golden)
10. Reserved for something which I think deserves to be in the top 10. :tongue:

EDIT:
I would mention FMAB, however, you probably seen it. Also, animes for me have to have at least some comedy in it at least every couple of episodes, if it's too serious, it can get to me but not one of the best IMO. Example, Death Note was good but would have appreciated some comedy (wherever possible) in it. FMAB had one of the perfect action/comedy ratio. Similar to Fairy Tail too. =P
(edited 10 years ago)
Watching Highschool DXD I just noticed there is a picture (yes, picture, not a random person in the background) of mion/shion from the Umineku series anime. =P
See if you guys can find it! XD
In my opinion, the Umineku series is better than Death Note or to say the least, on par given you have to figure it out rather than it be handed on a plate to you. =l

Although, some of my top animes are the following (in no particular order, so hard to order them!)

1. Sword Art Online
2. Black Butler
3. Ao No Exorcist
4. Umineku series
5. Angel Beats (Music ftw!)
6. Attack on titan
7. Clanned (Comedy is great)
8. Fairy Tail
9. Heaven's Lost Property (Comedy is golden)
10. Reserved for something which I think deserves to be in the top 10. :tongue:

EDIT:
I would mention FMAB, however, you probably seen it. Also, animes for me have to have at least some comedy in it at least every couple of episodes, if it's too serious, it can get to me but not one of the best IMO. Example, Death Note was good but would have appreciated some comedy (wherever possible) in it. FMAB had one of the perfect action/comedy ratio. Similar to Fairy Tail too. =P

Have you seen all the five animes I mentioned?
I've seen Death Note, found it good but not great. (7/10)
Tried One Piece about a year ago (gave it 10 eps) and found it complete crap...

Haven't tried the rest yet. I think I tried the first episode of Naruto once but can't remember my reaction to it.
Naruto is back off fillers, they are animating it pretty good

Posted from TSR Mobile

Durarara, Mirai Nikki, Another, Black Lagoon, Fairy Tail and Baccano. They're all along similar lines - they're all addictive; contain action, suspense, awesome storylines etc.
Whether they're better or not probably depends on personal opinion, but I recommend them anyway:biggrin:

Sword Art Online
Fairy Tail
Darker Than Black
Hellsing Ultimate
Durarara
Baccano
Mirai Nikki
Monster
Elfen Lied
D. Gray Man
Hunter x Hunter
Highschool of The Dead
Full Metal Panic

I wouldn't say they're better than Bleach and Death Note but I only say that because they're my favourites.

Edit: Completely forgot to add Detective Conan, a very long series (still ongoing) but it's excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tintin95
Sword Art Online
Fairy Tail
Darker Than Black
Hellsing Ultimate
Durarara
Baccano
Mirai Nikki
Monster
Elfen Lied
D. Gray Man
Hunter x Hunter
Highschool of The Dead
Full Metal Panic

I wouldn't say they're better than Bleach and Death Note but I only say that because they're my favourites.

Posted from TSR Mobile

One of the longest dragging animes ever... (unnecessarily long...)
How is that one of your favourites? :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
One of the longest dragging animes ever... (unnecessarily long...)
How is that one of your favourites? :confused:

It does drag on but it has a great plot and has a lot of suspense. One my least favourites on the list but still a good anime.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apparently Anime-Planet will be adding a new feature soon which lets you mark how many times you've watched a series... I'll definitely use that as an excuse to rewatch some of my favourites, and if it adds to my 'life spent on anime' counter too, all the better. :biggrin:

I struggle to remember what shows I've rewatched, and how many times I've done so... a lot of the Ghibli films in particular I've watched more than once with friends, family, or simply because they've been on TV. Know I've seen Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, Casshern Sins, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Last Exile and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann twice thanks to Aberanime, and maybe a few more. :beard:
guys check out this drawing of a kimono girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcWMP4X3FoY
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Apparently Anime-Planet will be adding a new feature soon which lets you mark how many times you've watched a series... I'll definitely use that as an excuse to rewatch some of my favourites, and if it adds to my 'life spent on anime' counter too, all the better. :biggrin:

Is Anime-Planet like Myanimelist.net? I currently use MAL to log all my anime/manga, but if Anime-Planet's better then I'll switch over :biggrin:
Just wondering but does visit a YouTuber's channel called Shadowlink4321?

IMHO, the best fandubbing guy on YouTube (for anime openings/endings), his are genuinely the only opening/ending dubs I listen to. =l
Original post by porridgeandrhi
Is Anime-Planet like Myanimelist.net? I currently use MAL to log all my anime/manga, but if Anime-Planet's better then I'll switch over :biggrin:

It's a similar kind of site, yes. :yes: As to whether its better or not, its difficult to tell - I only started using A-P because I found it before MAL. :p:

A few advantages of A-P over MAL:

All the synopses are written especially for the site, as opposed to copied and pasted from other sources as those on MAL often are (I made a few myself :proud:)
The recommendations for similar series are usually better than those made on MAL, as they're moderated, and people aren't allowed to just make short, bullet point lists of the similarities.
A-P has screenshots, so you can check out a series' art style.
It has a few features that MAL doesn't have - favourite character lists, 'achievement badges' etc, which you don't have to use, but personally I find them fun.
I also prefer the layout of the site over MAL, but that's just down to taste. :p:

Disadvantages:

Because all the synopses are custom written, some series don't have synopses yet, or aren't on the database at all. MAL usually has some sort of info, even if its really basic. A-P's manga database in particular is missing a lot of series/synopses, but to be fair they only started listing manga on the site a few years ago, so they've had some catching up to do.
A-P doesn't list hentai, while MAL does... which could also be an advantage to some people, I suppose. :p:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by porridgeandrhi

Depends what you use it for and who you ask really. I use AP as a wiki for all anime/manga and as my primary log for anime. I use MAL to interact and shiz.
MAL could do with an image overhaul tbh, even though I'm an avid user of the site I'm not a big fan of the layout - a bit dull with no decorations. Nevertheless I prefer MAl over Anime-Planet because I think it has a more active community, the main forums and anime specific /episode forums are excellent, individual user profiles are also presented a lot better there. To add to that, I also think that the anime profiles are presented better too, with an excellent selection and placement of statistics and tags.

Latest