The Student Room Group

The postgraduate exams thread

Scroll to see replies

Anyone started revision for MRCS part B? if so how are you finding it?
Original post by Anonymous
Is 3 months (+ a busy work rota...) enough time to study for MRCP part 2. I have read some of the previous posts and it seems that most people have said so but wondered if anyone had any other opinions as it does seem like a lot to cover/detail.
I used passmed for part 1 (didn't complete it) but also used books (as i'm more of a 'book learner') which probably wasn't the the best way as passmed seemed to cover everything so regret this technique now- for part 2, I was planning on just passmed? Do they have images on that?

Also, good luck for everyone doing part 2 today!! :smile:

3 months should be enough. Plenty of images on PassMedicine.
Does anyone know if the past papers (for MRCP part 1) on pastest are actual exam questions from each diet?
Original post by FlyingOrthopod
Anyone started revision for MRCS part B? if so how are you finding it?

I intend to book for the October 2021 exam, but am concerned that it is difficult to form a study group for the Part B due to social distancing etc; this method would seem to be the best way to revise and prepare for this part of the MRCS. I was, originally, going to take the July exam, but thought better of it due to change of rotation, end of F2 year and starting a PG Cert in Medical Education.

So any advice, tips or recommendations on the Part B exam, which is temporarily in the reduced format, would be most helpful
Hi, is there anyone here who has recently sat MRCP Part 1 as an online exam, are you allowed to have blank paper at your laptop to write notes on ? Struggling through Passmedicine-not sure how my brain will ever remember all the minute details, do people who have done the exam recently feel Passmedicine is representative of the standard in the exam?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Starz678
Hi, is there anyone here who has recently sat MRCP Part 1 as an online exam, are you allowed to have blank paper at your laptop to write notes on ? Struggling through Passmedicine-not sure how my brain will ever remember all the minute details, do people who have done the exam recently feel Passmedicine is representative of the standard in the exam?

Yes to the paper, dunno about Passmedicine but I used Pastest and passed 2nd time having failed with Passmedicine (and admittedly a lot less effort) 1st time.
Exam: MRCP part 2

Year passed: 2021

Stage in career: F3

Resources used: Pastest and the official practice paper on the MRCP website.

Tips: I revised for about 3 months and used Pastest, which anecdotally people say is better for part 2 than passmed. I found it frustrating that Pastest doesn't have a notes section or textbook to search, but overall I would say the questions were relatively close to the exam. I just did Pastest once through and then did the questions I had got wrong and passed comfortably. I googled topics I hadn't had much teaching on / was frequently getting wrong i.e. pacemakers or interpreting cardiac catheterisation. This exam is more interesting to revise for than part 1 and I found the concepts easier to grasp and remember. I would recommend doing it as close to part 1 as you can because there is some overlap. I also did the official practice paper on the MRCP website which was very useful and I would recommend doing a few days before the exam.

Other remarks: I did my test online and I would say the technical aspects were quite stressful, buy luckily mine ran smoothly but some friends had difficulties (webcam dropping out, being kicked out of the exam for 10 minutes etc). You are allowed to have plain paper and a pencil/ snacks/ and go to the toilet. Everyone told me that you feel like it's gone badly but actually most people pass, and I would say this was my experience too - the second paper in particularly I thought was very tough but everyone I know passed part 2.
Hi just a quick question for anyone who used SPMM psych mock exams... are the mocks quite similar or harder/easier than the real exam? Finding the mocks tough and my grades fluctuate quite a bit so would be interested to hear others experience
(edited 2 years ago)
Any last minute (well last week) tips for MRCP part 2...
feeling very behind with revision and slightly panicked!! thanks
Any last minute (well last week) tips for MRCP part 2...
feeling very behind with revision and slightly panicked!! thanks

Do the official mock on the MRCP website, really helpful. Have snacks during the exam, it's long! Good luck
Any people who have recently sat the FRCA Primary? I'm kind of an idiot and this exam scares me, so I'm keen to know when to prep and what people used.
Original post by Marathi
Any people who have recently sat the FRCA Primary? I'm kind of an idiot and this exam scares me, so I'm keen to know when to prep and what people used.

Yes, though ages ago now. I did the St Thomas' day release course - it was every Friday for ?18 weeks and pretty much covered the whole syllabus, but I don't think it exists in that format now. Do the e-LfH modules and MCQs, and get the college's guide to the exam as they quite often reuse the sample questions in the actual exam. Some people swear by the Mersey MCQ course but I didn't do it. There are a few useful books for the physics/equipment section that virtually everyone reads, likewise Peck, Hill & Williams for pharmacology.

OSCE/Viva - practice practice practice! Get the scary consultants/senior trainees to viva you, totally stony faced. You've got to learn to put on the show. The "brain" books (with pictures of brains on the front, I can't remember the authors) were bibles in my time, and there are loads of question banks/books out there. I did the Bristol Intensive Primary course which was fantastic.

It is a scary exam, but it's doable if you learn to play the game. Good luck!
Original post by Helenia
Yes, though ages ago now. I did the St Thomas' day release course - it was every Friday for ?18 weeks and pretty much covered the whole syllabus, but I don't think it exists in that format now. Do the e-LfH modules and MCQs, and get the college's guide to the exam as they quite often reuse the sample questions in the actual exam. Some people swear by the Mersey MCQ course but I didn't do it. There are a few useful books for the physics/equipment section that virtually everyone reads, likewise Peck, Hill & Williams for pharmacology.

OSCE/Viva - practice practice practice! Get the scary consultants/senior trainees to viva you, totally stony faced. You've got to learn to put on the show. The "brain" books (with pictures of brains on the front, I can't remember the authors) were bibles in my time, and there are loads of question banks/books out there. I did the Bristol Intensive Primary course which was fantastic.

It is a scary exam, but it's doable if you learn to play the game. Good luck!

Thanks! (PRSOM)
Hey,
Looking to do PACES soon- have no idea how to even start preparing- it seems very daunting! I keep trying to revise but currently having a year out of clinical medicine and although book learning is ok everyone says its all about practice so have done very little preparation and really want to sit the exam ASAP. Think I will regret this lack of preparation when I start work in August :s-smilie: and feel kind of guilty!!
Was wondering about courses- PassPACES and PACESahead seem to keep coming up. Does anyone have any advice/insight into which is better? (both are 4 days and cost the same so not sure!)
I am not sure if it would it be better to go on a course at the start of revision or when I am more confident- I really struggle to present patients and leave out important points when I get flustered...
Any advice from those who have done PACES would be great! Thank you
Thanks! About how long does it take to prepare adequately would you say. There just seems so much that could come up...

I've heard good feedback from PassPACES but not much about PACESahead- its just so expensive- hoping I can use some of my study budget... its not like the exam is free :mad:
Currently no plan- tried to read up on some cardio cases but then switched to resp as I wasn't really sure what I should be doing... I think a solid timetable would be a good starting point tbh.

Honestly! its like 1500 for a course! I also didn't realise it would cost £516 to join the jrcptb!

(I sound very stingy haha... I guess its been an expensive month for me so feeling slightly bitter!)
Thank you for your advice! Definitely going to practice- I really struggle to present so I am going to push myself to do it for patients I have seen.
A bit late to booking MRCPCH exams (F3) and only the TAS has an available date for October now. I am wondering if anyone sat the TAS separate to the FOP and had regrets or none at all! and if there truly is a difference in the level of difficulty of the 2 exams?

Thanks!
Desperately need a new stethoscope. I'm about to do PACES -> deciding between cardiology iv or master cardiology. Does anyone know which is better? Only difference I have read is the master cannot be used on paeds... which isnt really a problem!
Desperately need a new stethoscope. I'm about to do PACES -> deciding between cardiology iv or master cardiology. Does anyone know which is better? Only difference I have read is the master cannot be used on paeds... which isnt really a problem!

They're both excellent choices. The main difference is whether you prefer a traditional bell and diaphragm or a "tunable diaphragm". Probably easier to demonstrate to examiners that you're auscultating for mitral stenosis with a traditional chestpiece I'd have thought.

But you're going to be using it outside of the exam too so really it's whichever you prefer! It's not going to make a big difference either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending