The Student Room Group

Studying masters in the UK

I'm curious if I can pursue my postgraduate studies with an Australian bachelor of commerce degree that does not have honours. I'm still unsure of the process in the UK. Can you provide me with some information?
As far as I know you have to have an Honours degree to study Masters. You should write directly to the UK university you are interested in with your qualifications to see if they are willing to accept you.
Original post by Georgelennon
I'm curious if I can pursue my postgraduate studies with an Australian bachelor of commerce degree that does not have honours. I'm still unsure of the process in the UK. Can you provide me with some information?

Hey!

In the UK, the admission requirements for postgraduate studies vary depending on the university and the specific program you are interested in. While many universities do prefer applicants to have an honors degree or a high academic standing, it is not always a strict requirement. Some universities may consider applicants with a regular bachelor's degree as well, especially if they meet other criteria.

Here are a few steps you can take to explore your options:

Research University Requirements: Begin by researching the specific universities and programs you are interested in. Visit their official websites or contact their admissions offices to understand their entry requirements for postgraduate studies.

Conversion Courses: If your bachelor's degree does not meet the requirements for direct entry into a postgraduate program, you may consider enrolling in a conversion course. Conversion courses are designed to bridge the gap between different disciplines and help students gain the necessary knowledge and skills required for their chosen field of study.

Work Experience: Some universities may consider relevant work experience in lieu of an honors degree. If you have significant professional experience in your field, it can strengthen your application and demonstrate your practical expertise.

Personal Statement: When applying for postgraduate studies, you will typically be required to submit a personal statement. Use this opportunity to highlight your academic achievements, relevant skills, and any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your undergraduate performance.

Recommendations and References: Strong letters of recommendation from professors or employers who can vouch for your academic abilities and potential can significantly enhance your application. Choose individuals who know you well and can speak to your strengths.

Entrance Exams: Depending on the program, you may be required to take entrance exams such as the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) or GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test). Check the specific requirements of your chosen universities to determine if these exams are necessary.

Contact the Admissions Offices: If you still have questions or concerns about your eligibility, it is advisable to contact the admissions offices of the universities you are interested in. They will be able to provide you with accurate and up-to-date information tailored to your specific circumstances.

Remember that admission processes can vary between universities and even different programs within the same institution. It's essential to thoroughly research and understand the requirements of each university you are considering to ensure you meet their criteria for postgraduate studies.

Good luck with your applications, and I hope you have a successful journey pursuing your postgraduate studies in the UK!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Original post by Georgelennon

Hi. The world is a big place. Avoid the UK. Avoid British unis. They are businesses who cream international students. British education really isn't as great as people think it is, far from it!
Have a serious rethink and explore your options in other countries. Consider Ireland, Germany, Scandinavian countries, Asia......just avoid the UK. Miserable weather...and a very high chance of being a victim of crime, especially if you are an international student.
Original post by SouthofSpain
Hi. The world is a big place. Avoid the UK. Avoid British unis. They are businesses who cream international students. British education really isn't as great as people think it is, far from it!
Have a serious rethink and explore your options in other countries. Consider Ireland, Germany, Scandinavian countries, Asia......just avoid the UK. Miserable weather...and a very high chance of being a victim of crime, especially if you are an international student.

On the plus side we have far fewer death spiders, murder snakes and man eating Crocs than Aus. 😉
Crappy weather, crime, crazy cost of living, but yeh....no man eating crocs. Blood sucking tories though, oh and uni VCs out to bleed your bank account dry.

Original post by Mr Wednesday
On the plus side we have far fewer death spiders, murder snakes and man eating Crocs than Aus. 😉
Reply 6
qx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending