The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who uses their Android device as an MP3 player should downloadPower Amp. It's a beta release Media Player, but it honestly ****s all over everything else. It has it's own codecs, full EQ and Pre Amp support and lists by folder as well as ID3. Winner. Oh yeah, it's also bloody fast and has a lovely widget too. It's one hell of a beta.
Original post by G8D
Gmail is easy.
From home screen MENU>Settings>Accounts or do it through the Gmail app. A google account is your key to enjoying Android :wink:

Stiill no idea how to forward emails from uni (or mine at least).

Oh I've just found this, although it's from loughborough but it still applies to .ac.uk accounts so it might work. I haven't tried it yet, I'll do so later. http://www.lboro.ac.uk/it/google/android.html
Reply 2342
Just bought a Samsung Galaxy S :ninja:

I'll need to unlock it first but that looks pretty easy. Can't wait to go back to Android :love:
Reply 2343
I'm intrigued by what Sammy's announcing on the 8th. I like the Galaxy S due to the insane hardware, but let down by the GPS and SW. The battery is pretty impressive, s'why I've decided not to get a DHD.
Original post by Kaph
I'm intrigued by what Sammy's announcing on the 8th. I like the Galaxy S due to the insane hardware, but let down by the GPS and SW. The battery is pretty impressive, s'why I've decided not to get a DHD.

The Google Nexus 2, if rumour is to be believed.
Original post by Kaph

Original post by mikeyd85
The Google Nexus 2, if rumour is to be believed.

Which was widely believed to be the continuum but that has been leaked today.
Original post by The Stig
When it comes to smart-phones you're just going to have to deal with the fact that battery life is going to be no more than a day. It'll need charging every night. I don't know why they keep adding more tech to the phones yet leaving the battery power as it is.

That's largely true, but it depends on how you use it. If my Hero sits next to me, connected to wifi and only the odd call, it lasts 3 or 4 days. Same thing with my N900. The E-series Nokia's just go on and on and on (even on 3G all day with push email they go 1.5 days). But if I use the Hero a lot, then it won't last that long, same as the N900 - i spend all day long on that in some form though, always on wifi or 3g, texts, IMs, calls, web browsing, games, mods etc. The N8 apparently lasts a good 2 days with standard usage. So it's not *just* because something is a smartphone that the battery doesn't last long, but how they're used. That's probably why the old dumbphones lasted so long.
Anyone know when the LG optimus one will come out on PAYG? I need to upgrade to a better phone and the LG optimus one seems perfect for me but I don't want a contract :frown:
Original post by matt2k8
Anyone know when the LG optimus one will come out on PAYG? I need to upgrade to a better phone and the LG optimus one seems perfect for me but I don't want a contract :frown:

But contracts are fun..
Amazon.
sleekchic
x

Unless you can get GMail to fetch your uni email (you'll need POP settings for this, provided by your uni) or forward all uni email to your uni account then you can't have push email without an Exchange account for that email address. My uni email is web based or IMAP, that's it, so I'm stuck with fetch email.
Original post by sleekchic
Oh I've just found this, although it's from loughborough but it still applies to .ac.uk accounts so it might work. I haven't tried it yet, I'll do so later. http://www.lboro.ac.uk/it/google/android.html

That isn't push email, it's fetch email. Also, settings from another uni are unlikely to work with yours.

Yep will only work if you have Gmail hosted email like we do at loughborough
Original post by RightSaidJames
Unless you can get GMail to fetch your uni email (you'll need POP settings for this, provided by your uni) or forward all uni email to your uni account then you can't have push email without an Exchange account for that email address. My uni email is web based or IMAP, that's it, so I'm stuck with fetch email.

Original post by RightSaidJames
That isn't push email, it's fetch email. Also, settings from another uni are unlikely to work with yours.

Original post by rorydaredking
Yep will only work if you have Gmail hosted email like we do at loughborough

How do you find out if it's a gmail hosted email?

It's not that much of a big deal anyway I can always check my uni email at home or something but it would have been nice to have it directed to my phone somehow. Oh well.

It's not that much of a big deal anyway I can always check my uni email at home or something but it would have been nice to have it directed to my phone somehow. Oh well.

Not looked on your own university's website for info?
Original post by rorydaredking
Not looked on your own university's website for info?

I have, there's a lot to navigate through and there's some information about forwarding your emails to your gmail account.

I have, there's a lot to navigate through and there's some information about forwarding your emails to your gmail account.

If there are instructions for setting up outlook on windows or mail.app on osx, you can extrappolate them to the email app on android. What uni do you go to, and ill have a look

What uni do you go to? They should have info on how to check your email from a computer or another device, which can be modified to work on an Android phone.

Alternatively, try letting your phone retreive the settings using guesswork. Go to Mail, press menu button, then select More > New account > Other, then go through the step-by-step thingy. If that doesn't work then you'll need to get hold of actual settings then click Manual setup instead of doing it step by step.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2357
Original post by G8D
Our uni uses Outlook Web (Exchange, essentially), any way to forward these? I can't see any simple way at least.

Our uni uses a similar version of "Gimped" Exchange it is possible to get them through to android as i had it set up before i graduated.
Thought it would be a safe place to ask: Is there any way of getting VOIP calls to work on Android? Skype won't work on my Samsung Galaxy Apollo so am looking at other ways of getting free calls from abroad to the UK. Suggestions?
Original post by Colbert
Thought it would be a safe place to ask: Is there any way of getting VOIP calls to work on Android? Skype won't work on my Samsung Galaxy Apollo so am looking at other ways of getting free calls from abroad to the UK. Suggestions?

http://www.appbrain.com/app/3cxphone-for-android-%28voip%29/com.tcx.sip.ui

That should do the trick. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending