The Student Room Group

Your university internet speeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Gemma :)!
Mine's from home:

I think that means everything's really slow, but it's weird because it's working really fast & pages load pretty much instantly :\ Ah well.

well considering most pages are around a couple of hundred kb with a speed for 5mb/s the pages should appear pretty much instantaneously.

I think I win
Original post by illusionz

Original post by illusionz

I think I win

I believe not :smug:
Original post by secretmessages

Firstly... how the hell?

Secondly, why is that only rated as 2.5/5? :rolleyes:
Original post by Potally_Tissed

Original post by Potally_Tissed
Firstly... how the hell?

Secondly, why is that only rated as 2.5/5? :rolleyes:

I'm at Warwick, and those are the speeds I got from my department (computer science) one evening. It's only rated 2.5 because the connection in accommodation blocks (which comes under the same ISP thingy) is capped at something ridiculously slow, hence the bad ratings :p:
Reply 65

Way better than at home.
Reply 66

Not bad :p:
I'm at Warwick, and those are the speeds I got from my department (computer science) one evening. It's only rated 2.5 because the connection in accommodation blocks (which comes under the same ISP thingy) is capped at something ridiculously slow, hence the bad ratings :p:

Ooh there's a plan, find out where the computer science department is and try from there. I'm cool like that. :cool:
Uni of Kent, Canterbury Campus
Original post by ssethe

Way better than at home.

Wow. I though Devon was forgotten in the fast internet upgrades!
Then again, Exeter is the Regional Capital :p:
Reply 70

Woo woo. :]

Faster than my rural suffolk home.

Somewhat limited by crappy 100mbps LAN, I imagine it would be much quicker if I plugged in at the physics department.
Despite this thread being a year old (:pierre:), I suppose it's still a valid topic so:

I win.

Possibly gigabit internet to myself at 3:45am.

Unsure about uploads though? :/
Original post by Repressor

Original post by Repressor

Possibly gigabit internet to myself at 3:45am.

Unsure about uploads though? :/

That must be the worst download to upload ratio I've seen in my entire life :p:
That must be the worst download to upload ratio I've seen in my entire life :p:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my AV is fiddling with those results. Only a 100mbps wall socket (I think). Speedtest struggles to initiate the upload process, so I can only assume that's bugged too :frown:.

Ah well, the ping is good I suppose, 5ms pings to most CSS gaming servers is almost orgasmic.

(The final comment is a huge overstatement. I have run out of mediocre adjectives for the day.)
Reply 76
From my flat in Dundee...

Will test from a campus machine at some point.

When I was in Dundee University's halls in my undergrad days, the speeds were pretty similar (don't live there anymore so can't test now, but I remember it was 35Mbps down and about 4Mbps up).
Original post by Fat-Love
well considering most pages are around a couple of hundred kb with a speed for 5mb/s the pages should appear pretty much instantaneously.

Haha, as I said, I have no idea how these things work.
Reply 78
University of Reading

At its best its around 9 ping and 4mb/s up and down.
BUT... it is rarely like that and is normally painfully slow. Plus there is no wifi in the rooms only in comunal areas.
Can't wait to move out of halls and get virgin!
Reply 79

Best result i ever got out of my internet at my uni house. Paid for 60Mb but never ever got that :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending