The Student Room Group

DSA laptop

I’m currently applying for Dsa and I wanted to know what the procedure is like when it comes to laptops.

I was going to buy myself a MacBook, but I’ve been holding back because I know that DSA will sometimes help get a laptop, but I wanted to know how it usually works, and whether I should even bother waiting.

I also don’t what what software they’re going to suggest will work for me, I have a learning difference that was assessed by my college, anxiety which was diagnosed by my gp and suspected autism but i haven’t had an official diagnosis for that and I don’t know if I want one, because of how it could affect me in the future in regard to jobs and travel.

I have a feeling it’s unlikely that I’ll get a MacBook, because I’m not doing a course that requires a lot of laptop work (pharmacy) but my writing speed is slow and being able to type would help me out during lectures, and everything else i have electronics wise is Apple and it’s just what I’m used to. I’ve also had other windows laptops in the past through a similar scheme my school did and they’ve stopped working within a few months and it’s been more hassle than help.

Essentially what I’m asking is, is it worth waiting to find out if I could get a MacBook, which will likely take me into the my course and mean I won’t have a laptop for lectures for a while, or should I just foot the £700 bill and buy myself one now so I’ll be prepared for classes?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by cherryblossomed
I’m currently applying for Dsa and I wanted to know what the procedure is like when it comes to laptops.

I was going to buy myself a MacBook, but I’ve been holding back because I know that DSA will sometimes help get a laptop, but I wanted to know how it usually works, and whether I should even bother waiting.

I also don’t what what software they’re going to suggest will work for me, I have a learning difference that was assessed by my college, anxiety which was diagnosed by my gp and suspected autism but i haven’t had an official diagnosis for that and I don’t know if I want one, because of how it could affect me in the future in regard to jobs and travel.

I have a feeling it’s unlikely that I’ll get a MacBook, because I’m not doing a course that requires a lot of laptop work (pharmacy) but my writing speed is slow and being able to type would help me out during lectures, and everything else i have electronics wise is Apple and it’s just what I’m used to. I’ve also had other windows laptops in the past through a similar scheme my school did and they’ve stopped working within a few months and it’s been more hassle than help.

Essentially what I’m asking is, is it worth waiting to find out if I could get a MacBook, which will likely take me into the my course and mean I won’t have a laptop for lectures for a while, or should I just foot the £700 bill and buy myself one now so I’ll be prepared for classes?

This is what the Open University website says about DSA and laptops:
Contribution towards the cost of a DSA funded PC or laptop: England

As part of your Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) award you may be provided with a new PC or laptop to run assistive software for you. If you live in England and are awarded a new PC or laptop through DSA, you'll need to contribute £200 towards the cost of that PC or laptop. You can apply for help with this cost through Funding for computers, internet and childcare etc.

You'll need to provide a copy of your DSA award letter from Student Finance England as part of your application for the fund. Any award from the fund will be paid directly to you. You'll then need to contact your equipment supplier to arrange payment and delivery of your equipment.

Students who are not eligible for DSA but who need support towards the cost of a computer, laptop or tablet can also apply for help through Funding for computers, internet and childcare etc.
theyll pay a £200 contribution to itc
Original post by saskiahdltea
theyll pay a £200 contribution to itc

It's you pay a £200 contribution and they'll cover the rest
oh yeah wrong way round whoops
My daughter got a nice laptop not a Mac. She could dictate her essays/notes into it. I had to cough up her contribution because she'd spent her money on cocktails or something !!
Thank you all for your help you guys! In the end they didn’t accept my evidence and the chances of my getting the evidence they need before my uni course is over is pretty low due to nhs waitlists so I think I’ll just take the L on this one 😭 I’ll looking into funding for computers though so thank you all again
Reply 7
Thank you all for your help you guys! In the end they didn’t accept my evidence and the chances of my getting the evidence they need before my uni course is over is pretty low due to nhs waitlists so I think I’ll just take the L on this one 😭 I’ll looking into funding for computers though so thank you all again

I managed to get DSA for anxiety and depression before I was diagnosed with autism. Did you submit your evidence based on your anxiety or suspected autism?
Original post by chemNerd
I managed to get DSA for anxiety and depression before I was diagnosed with autism. Did you submit your evidence based on your anxiety or suspected autism?

i submitted based on my learning difference as i was told my form 8 would be enough, but it wasnt. i had to buy myself a laptop anyway cause i needed one asap due to my course, so i don't really know what else they could give me and i dont want to waste their time.
Reply 9
i submitted based on my learning difference as i was told my form 8 would be enough, but it wasnt. i had to buy myself a laptop anyway cause i needed one asap due to my course, so i don't really know what else they could give me and i dont want to waste their time.

Theirs is a lot of software you can get, also study support sessions and mentoring you can get. I also get help with transport to uni. Push to get it there’s loads more than a laptop. If you need any help feel free to message me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending