The Student Room Group

Got pulled over by police

I recently got pulled over by the police, because I used the wrong lane at a roundabout to make an exit, cutting off the police car in the process, as they were taking the same exit. I am now really worried as to what will happen next, and if I will end up losing my license, since I am still in the first 2 years since getting it.
They should have been clear about what happens next.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
They should have been clear about what happens next.

They did give 3 likely outcomes, those being offered a driving course, points and a fine or summons to court. I'm just worried about what the likely outcome is, based on what I did.
Depends on the preferences and processes for that police force. I would imagine a driving awareness course is likely.

I'd also be reading up on, and watching tutorials on, multi-lane + spiral roundabouts so you don't repeat it. The bit I'd be most concerned about was the cutting up on the exit as you should have been aware of who was around you even if you were in the wrong lane.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Depends on the preferences and processes for that police force. I would imagine a driving awareness course is likely.

I'd also be reading up on, and watching tutorials on, multi-lane + spiral roundabouts so you don't repeat it. The bit I'd be most concerned about was the cutting up on the exit as you should have been aware of who was around you even if you were in the wrong lane.

I knew straight away, what I had done, and made the officer aware of it, I don't know what came over me, as I have never done anything like this before.
Original post by Rares Eusebiu
I knew straight away, what I had done, and made the officer aware of it, I don't know what came over me, as I have never done anything like this before.

Brain farts happen, we've all been there. Just lucky it didn't cause a scrape on this occasion.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Brain farts happen, we've all been there. Just lucky it didn't cause a scrape on this occasion.

There was no contact between cars, I'm just worried, because the officer made it seem as if I could lose my license.
There was no contact between cars, I'm just worried, because the officer made it seem as if I could lose my license.

I don't want to spook you but it is possible - careless driving can be 3-9 points, and 6 or more (in first 2 years) and you'll lose the license - I think most would agree that would be a very dramatic punishment for a a near miss though and the officer maybe just annoyed or trying to scare you, I'd expect a retraining course or 3 points & a fine would be closer to reality.
I don't want to spook you but it is possible - careless driving can be 3-9 points, and 6 or more (in first 2 years) and you'll lose the license - I think most would agree that would be a very dramatic punishment for a a near miss though and the officer maybe just annoyed or trying to scare you, I'd expect a retraining course or 3 points & a fine would be closer to reality.

This is an entirely fair point to make. From how the OP has described this incident, it seems relatively minor, and one that drivers are involved in every day without consequence. It was, however, careless driving, and it happened in front of a police officer. The most important factor here is how serious the police officer thought it was, and we have no way of knowing that. I would also think that a driver improvement course is most likely and that the police officer was really just trying to make an impression to encourage you to pay more attention in future. But you won't know for certain until you receive the letter.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
This is an entirely fair point to make. From how the OP has described this incident, it seems relatively minor, and one that drivers are involved in every day without consequence. It was, however, careless driving, and it happened in front of a police officer. The most important factor here is how serious the police officer thought it was, and we have no way of knowing that. I would also think that a driver improvement course is most likely and that the police officer was really just trying to make an impression to encourage you to pay more attention in future. But you won't know for certain until you receive the letter.

Agree with this 100%.
I'm confused. How did he cut the copcar off?
Was he in the outer ring going straight ahead and police tried to move across?
Did he move from the inside ring to the wrong lane on a two lane exit?
Was it one of those ******ed spiral roundabouts where if people aren't paying attention they might run into your side when you exit?
Original post by TheStupidMoon
I'm confused. How did he cut the copcar off?
Was he in the outer ring going straight ahead and police tried to move across?
Did he move from the inside ring to the wrong lane on a two lane exit?
Was it one of those ******ed spiral roundabouts where if people aren't paying attention they might run into your side when you exit?

It was your second point, I was in the innermost lane which is meant for going straight, whilst the police car was in the lane next to me, which could be used to exit, I tried exiting aswell cutting them off in the process.
It was your second point, I was in the innermost lane which is meant for going straight, whilst the police car was in the lane next to me, which could be used to exit, I tried exiting aswell cutting them off in the process.

So what happened - what action did the Police take?

I agree.

OP did you hear anything in the end?
Reply 14
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.

Too early to ask this question - as driver was stopped at the time of the offence, Police have 6 months to commence court proceedings…paperwork served by court comes in month 7. Only after 7 clear months can it be assumed no action was taken.
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.

Yes, I had to take part in a driver's awareness course, around a month ago. Now the matter has been resolved, and I have not heard of any further action.
Reply 16
Yes, I had to take part in a driver's awareness course, around a month ago. Now the matter has been resolved, and I have not heard of any further action.

There is something wrong with your ‘story’…..you were pulled over a month ago and did a course a month ago…normally takes 3 months to be offered and attend a course. Your timeline makes no sense.
Original post by Tupmole
There is something wrong with your ‘story’…..you were pulled over a month ago and did a course a month ago…normally takes 3 months to be offered and attend a course. Your timeline makes no sense.

I was pulled over almost 2 months ago, around mid November. Around 2 weeks later in early December, I received a letter from the met police stating the course of actions available to me, one of those being a driver's awareness course. Which I attended online a few days later.
Original post by Tupmole

There are plenty of dubious threads on this forum, but this isn't one of them. We don't know the original timeline because the OP didn't say when they were pulled over. They have now, and that timeline is perfectly plausible. Whilst it can take three months or so to be offered and take a speed awareness course, it can also be much faster than that. And more to the point, the situation that the OP describes is one where you would positively expect a speed awareness course to be offered, which they say has happened. So I think you're seeing internet drama where there is none. People make fake threads on all sorts of things. Relationships, alcohol use, shoplifting. But speed awareness courses? Not so much. And not on this occasion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending