The Student Room Group

Feeling of War

IS anyone else beginning to get a feeling that war is going to break out within a year or so?

I have been reading through some of the wikileaks documents and a number of US officals seem quite on edge about a whole host of issues, Iran Korea ect. And it seems any one of them could lead to a war.

Plus we have just had one of the worst clashes between SK and NK since the Korean war it seems the world may be a bit on edge.

Your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
to be honest, there is so much **** that goes on underground, i think this business as usual

the media does love to create the sensation and tension that war is coming but i think they're ain't going to be a war too soon, there might be one or two minor clashes but this whole web of politics, middle east, china, NK/SK, USA is a bit intertwined and no one can really afford a war at the moment and no country would no who to side with.
Reply 2
War is already here!

*farts*
Reply 3
Gee, some people seem to want a war :eek:
Reply 4
I doubt it right now, although in the future it will be more likely. For starters, as long as there are superpowers and small states, war will somewhat be avoided imo. With the Korea issue for example, NK is much weaker than SK, and with the US actively on the side of SK, and China probably not acting as such a back-up, I dont think that would be the trigger.

Secondly with the issue of Iran, while the wikileaks are definitely insightful, it was common knowledge that Iran was not the 'protector of the east' as it made out to be. Though I doubt they would actively engage in war without nuclear detterrents, particularly with allied forces against them. IMO the regime will still be toppled from within, though ofc this is just a optimistic predicition from a pacifists mind !
Reply 5
It's been reported that China are prepared to drop their support for NK. Also it appears some Middle Eastern countries are on edge about Iran. If there's going to be any sort of war I wouldn't want to be Iran/NK.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/11/29/wikileaks.new.documents/?hpt=T1

http://hken.ibtimes.com/articles/86572/20101129/wikileaks-cablegate-iran-middle-east-fears-nuclear-power-weapons-terrorism-saudi-uae-abu-dhabi-unite.htm
Reply 6
I'd love a real war. I think it will be a big mess of NK, SK, China, Iran, Israel and the US all fighting each other for different reasons in different wars, and Europe, the UK and Russia will be dragged into it too. It would be pretty extreme and make the world more lively. Plus I'm sure we'd benefit greatly of the East separated from the West.
Reply 7
Original post by Phantom_X
I doubt it right now, although in the future it will be more likely. For starters, as long as there are superpowers and small states, war will somewhat be avoided imo. With the Korea issue for example, NK is much weaker than SK, and with the US actively on the side of SK, and China probably not acting as such a back-up, I dont think that would be the trigger.

Secondly with the issue of Iran, while the wikileaks are definitely insightful, it was common knowledge that Iran was not the 'protector of the east' as it made out to be. Though I doubt they would actively engage in war without nuclear detterrents, particularly with allied forces against them. IMO the regime will still be toppled from within, though ofc this is just a optimistic predicition from a pacifists mind !

NK does have a ridiculously huge army and has been supplying Russian missiles to Iran, so both countries have Russian technology readily available. Also the tensions between China and the US are intensifying, albeit minutely, but who knows what could happen :dontknow:
Reply 8
The US are bound to get involved with the Koreans at some stage, they love poking their noses in where it's not wanted. Inevitably that means the UK will be at war too because we are in a loving relationship with the US and we must follow them into the mire. :mad:
Perhaps more so than at any other stage in the last few years. I still think that there is a general aversion to war amongst almost all countries though, so the chance of one breaking out is remote.
Original post by Broderss
NK does have a ridiculously huge army and has been supplying Russian missiles to Iran, so both countries have Russian technology readily available. Also the tensions between China and the US are intensifying, albeit minutely, but who knows what could happen :dontknow:

well of course this was only my assumption. China and the US, while ideologically different, are important trading partners, and china seems to be distancing itself from the Korea issue. as for NK, last I heard its army was much smaller than the SK's and less efficient too ? I think I read that in the FT somewhere but I cannot remember.
Reply 11
Some people are really gullible, out of thousands and thousands of pages in the recent leak, only a few select phrases and sentences have been published by all the newspapers in the world. Some of these newspapers have had the hard-copy for weeks before the official release date. If anyone bothered to read or even search for the full copy, you would see how out of context and misleading this info really is.

This video explains who really benefits not only from the leak but also the subsequent media coverage:

The cynicism by which these reports must be viewed is explained here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-now-we-know-america-really-doesnt-care-about-injustice-in-the-middle-east-2146971.html
Original post by Phantom_X
well of course this was only my assumption. China and the US, while ideologically different, are important trading partners, and china seems to be distancing itself from the Korea issue. as for NK, last I heard its army was much smaller than the SK's and less efficient too ? I think I read that in the FT somewhere but I cannot remember.

This is correct. It would be suicide for China if they explicitly side with North Korea. One of these leaks reveals that they would prefer for Korea to reunited under Seoul.

And yeah North Korea's army is only slightly largely than South Korea's but the thing to note is that the north and south wouldn't go to war on their own while the world watches and for that reason I don't see the north doing very well. Also have to consider that the South is by far superior in terms of technology.

Reply 13
Original post by In2deep
x

Well said, too many people take what the media says at face value...
Original post by In2deep
Some people are really gullible, out of thousands and thousands of pages in the recent leak, only a few select phrases and sentences have been published by all the newspapers in the world. Some of these newspapers have had the hard-copy for weeks before the official release date. If anyone bothered to read or even search for the full copy, you would see how out of context and misleading this info really is.

What is the purpose of a newspaper? To generate income and accept the most controversial (according to the majority) information? Or to circulate the most important (in regards to international politics) piece of information?

And what should be the purpose of a newspaper (it's a private business remember)?
Reply 15
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
What is the purpose of a newspaper? To generate income and accept the most controversial (according to the majority) information? Or to circulate the most important (in regards to international politics) piece of information?

And what should be the purpose of a newspaper (it's a private business remember)?

I think you know my stance on the current state of our media. It has way too much influence to be simply allowed to print what it wishes. The sole purpose of a newspaper ideally is to provide information on what's going around in the world with no bias whatsoever and no other agenda to attend to. Obviously this is close to impossible because, as you have rightly stated, it is a private business and they can print what brings in top bucks (be it through services/goods or bribes/blackmail).

Do you think there is a need for change? What do you think?
Reply 16
I wouldn't mind a WW3
Reply 17
Original post by 786girl
I wouldn't mind a WW3

This is a very smart post :tongue:

I just enjoy Politics, Theology and Philosophy I guess, I spend so much time just reading or debating I barely have enough time for my academics :redface:
Original post by In2deep
It has way too much influence to be simply allowed to print what it wishes.

It influences than the majority. But, as most people know the majority aren't generally politically aware and haven't/don't want to catch up with political news. Ergo, the media has successfully closed this gap in the market. Those that are influenced by the media are going to be even more clueless when it comes to politics and the irk.

The sole purpose of a newspaper ideally is to provide information on what's going around in the world with no bias whatsoever and no other agenda to attend to.

The sole purpose of a newspaper is to make $$$ through the use of providing information. They (at least most) aren't providing information and receiving money as by product of that. Everyone has a bias. Everyone has an agenda. Yes, the BBC can claim to be non-bias but it's pretty sure they are biased too. The video of the media organisation you posted also has a agenda (and it's not to reveal the truth).

Do you think there is a need for change? What do you think?

I agree with you, the media does need a reform. But, I don't believe a reform via the state. I believe we shouldn't be punishing the media's actions because it is really the people that is to blame. We need to educate people more.
Reply 19
If there is going to be a war of guns, rockets and missiles, then somewhere along the line we the West will likely have instigated it, and will have benefited from it too. The old divide and conquer tactic is ours alone.

We are the masters of conflict.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending