The Student Room Group

we're all going to die, soon

how do you feel about it?

Scroll to see replies

We all die at some point. I could get hit by a car on my way home from work. I tend to not think about it.

I guess I feel pretty indifferent about it really. If it happens, that sucks. If it doesn't, eh not really crossing my mind on a regular basis.
Reply 2
Original post by StevenWong1
We all die at some point. I could get hit by a car on my way home from work. I tend to not think about it.

I guess I feel pretty indifferent about it really. If it happens, that sucks. If it doesn't, eh not really crossing my mind on a regular basis.

it's not that. ive this sense of impending doom. people dont want to believe it but ww3 is just a matter of time now and about 70% of regular, useless people will be wiped out in it
Original post by Ciel.
it's not that. ive this sense of impending doom. people dont want to believe it but ww3 is just a matter of time now and about 70% of regular, useless people will be wiped out in it

I would suggest maybe stop following the news for a while, as it seems to be taking a toll on you.

I think that tensions are pretty bad in the world - and if a war breaks out then its whatever really.

So many factors are out of my control so I just don't worry about them.
Reply 4
I don't worry about my own death because it will not cause me any long-term anguish.
Well, at least my mind can look forward to rest then.
Reply 6
Original post by StevenWong1
I would suggest maybe stop following the news for a while, as it seems to be taking a toll on you.

I think that tensions are pretty bad in the world - and if a war breaks out then its whatever really.

So many factors are out of my control so I just don't worry about them.

i dont think it's the news. been feeling this way for a while now
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
I don't worry about my own death because it will not cause me any long-term anguish.

you're a smart man so i'd love to know your thoughts on ww3. i think it can't be avoided. wbu?
Original post by Ciel.
how do you feel about it?

I would be scared if i was dying in a sad or scary scenario but if i were to die of old age, i feel fine.
The actual thought of being dead, being gone forever doesn't scare me but i do get scared of death if everyone around me was slowly getting killed and all i could do was await my fate x
If you're worried about the prospect of war, I am too... But only because I think we are making a grave mistake in not making a concerted effort as a nation in preparing for conflict. Instead we see cuts. The army being reduced to 70 ish thousand, the RN being reduced to 15 frigates and destroyers, lack of equipment and reluctant recruiting. IF a war is on it's way (I don't think it will be WW3 or nuclear Armageddon), right now we are choosing to be unprepared and the following consequences will be ours to bare.
Reply 10
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
If you're worried about the prospect of war, I am too... But only because I think we are making a grave mistake in not making a concerted effort as a nation in preparing for conflict. Instead we see cuts. The army being reduced to 70 ish thousand, the RN being reduced to 15 frigates and destroyers, lack of equipment and reluctant recruiting. IF a war is on it's way (I don't think it will be WW3 or nuclear Armageddon), right now we are choosing to be unprepared and the following consequences will be ours to bare.

people are not as easily manipulated as 'back in the day'. why would you volunteer give up your life just so that people can profit off another silly war? you have to be either brainwashed or a psychopath to actually want to be a soldier.
it baffles me that wars are still a thing.
Reply 11
Well believe it or not - there are parts of this wonderful country that are worth dying for. If you don't appreciate and defend the freedoms that were hard won centuries and decades ago and understand that you are so blessed with those freedoms now - then you will only realise what you have lost when it has gone. Then probably you won't have any opportunity to express yourself - at all.

Look at other countries and wonder what life is like for men and women of all faiths and outlook.

There are things in life you can do something about - positively and there are things in life you have absolutely no control over. Ignore the latter and do not waste time brooding over them.

The moment we are born we are all dying - but slowly. None of us know when our sell by date is up. So make the most of every minute you are allowed to live. Do not look back or too far forward. Just deal with the day and at the end of the day look at all the small positives you are so privileged to have? Every negative has a positive. That is the balance in life and in nature. Start with the basics - a roof over your head; a place to lie horizontal to sleep; a space to stay out of the wind and the rain; something to eat; somewhere to get warm - then count anything over and above this as a bonus.

Find people who have an infectious sense of humour. Listen to the Monty Python sketch - 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' Find love, find laughter and find hope - for a better tomorrow. Not everyone is bad but we can shape and change our immediate space by being an individual beacon of love and hope.
Original post by Ciel.

people are not as easily manipulated as 'back in the day'. why would you volunteer give up your life just so that people can profit off another silly war? you have to be either brainwashed or a psychopath to actually want to be a soldier.
it baffles me that wars are still a thing.

For the last 3 years, I've been living in Sweden. I suggest to you to keep a close eye on the Nordics and Baltics. You are very much misled if you believe that war is mainly profit driven - there exists a risk today in many parts of the world where their are states who have no issues in using violence, either directly or by proxy as a means ideological or territorial expansion. What we view as human rights in this country may not be worth the paper it's written on in another. Today's world is not ideologically homogeneous and for that reason we should be prepared for conflict.

In the case of the UK and Europe... We are faced with a threat which, if tensions boil over, would be a defensive war. And the enemy will be form the East. I am not a Swedish citizen, but if Sweden gets attacked I am expected to contribute to their defense - something I have no problems in doing. And it would apply to everyone in the country between the ages of 16 - 70, men and women. The UK is in a privileged position of being an island and not directly bordering an enemy state. It has therefore felt comfortable in relying on a volunteer force without needing to conscript its men and women to build mass reserve forces which can be quick to mobilise if crisis hits. If we want to keep living that way then we need to ensure that our armed forces are well funded with the equipment that it needs in case we are attacked.
Reply 13
Original post by Muttly
Well believe it or not - there are parts of this wonderful country that are worth dying for. If you don't appreciate and defend the freedoms that were hard won centuries and decades ago and understand that you are so blessed with those freedoms now - then you will only realise what you have lost when it has gone. Then probably you won't have any opportunity to express yourself - at all.

Look at other countries and wonder what life is like for men and women of all faiths and outlook.

There are things in life you can do something about - positively and there are things in life you have absolutely no control over. Ignore the latter and do not waste time brooding over them.

The moment we are born we are all dying - but slowly. None of us know when our sell by date is up. So make the most of every minute you are allowed to live. Do not look back or too far forward. Just deal with the day and at the end of the day look at all the small positives you are so privileged to have? Every negative has a positive. That is the balance in life and in nature. Start with the basics - a roof over your head; a place to lie horizontal to sleep; a space to stay out of the wind and the rain; something to eat; somewhere to get warm - then count anything over and above this as a bonus.

Find people who have an infectious sense of humour. Listen to the Monty Python sketch - 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' Find love, find laughter and find hope - for a better tomorrow. Not everyone is bad but we can shape and change our immediate space by being an individual beacon of love and hope.

in my personal opinion, no country is worth dying for. a country is just a place. wars 'worth dying for' are only in hollywood movies. wars only benefit the elites. it's always been this way. there's no way i'd ever join the army.
Reply 14
For the last 3 years, I've been living in Sweden. I suggest to you to keep a close eye on the Nordics and Baltics. You are very much misled if you believe that war is mainly profit driven - there exists a risk today in many parts of the world where their are states who have no issues in using violence, either directly or by proxy as a means ideological or territorial expansion. What we view as human rights in this country may not be worth the paper it's written on in another. Today's world is not ideologically homogeneous and for that reason we should be prepared for conflict.

In the case of the UK and Europe... We are faced with a threat which, if tensions boil over, would be a defensive war. And the enemy will be form the East. I am not a Swedish citizen, but if Sweden gets attacked I am expected to contribute to their defense - something I have no problems in doing. And it would apply to everyone in the country between the ages of 16 - 70, men and women. The UK is in a privileged position of being an island and not directly bordering an enemy state. It has therefore felt comfortable in relying on a volunteer force without needing to conscript its men and women to build mass reserve forces which can be quick to mobilise if crisis hits. If we want to keep living that way then we need to ensure that our armed forces are well funded with the equipment that it needs in case we are attacked.

sweden, huh? i'm curious to know, because social media tends to exaggerate things - are things really bad as people portray them to be in terms of crime rates, caused by migrants?

and really? you'd willingly throw your life away for them? that's insanity to me.
Good for you.
If war breaks out and you don't want to contribute to society in order for it to survive, then don't expect that society to help you during that time of war.

The freedoms and security that we have come to enjoy come in exchange to societally obligations that we need to adhere to. Many of them have already been paid for with blood. So be thankful.
Reply 16
Good for you.
If war breaks out and you don't want to contribute to society in order for it to survive, then don't expect that society to help you during that time of war.

The freedoms and security that we have come to enjoy come in exchange to societally obligations that we need to adhere to. Many of them have already been paid for with blood. So be thankful.

i'll just move to another country with my boyfriend. i consider my life more important than that. idk, maybe i'm insane but i genuinely can't comprehend how can anyone disagree with me on this. like, do you really want to be cannon fodder while fat world leaders just sit in their pretty offices, making decisions without any regard for your life, while getting richer, and keeping their own loved ones safe?
Original post by Ciel.
sweden, huh? i'm curious to know, because social media tends to exaggerate things - are things really bad as people portray them to be in terms of crime rates, caused by migrants?

and really? you'd willingly throw your life away for them? that's insanity to me.

Sorry for sounding crude in my previous posts. Having living in Sweden I've learnt an huge amount - society is very very different from that of the UK. They really value good citizenship and adhering to a few basic societal expectations. Freedom of speech here is on another level and people discuss things and use language that would go under UK "hate speech" regulations, but they really are not hateful people. I actually think the transparency of the society is it's biggest strength and has allowed for a very balanced political landscape.
In respect to migration, I live in Lund only a few Km from Malmö. Yes, there is a problem and you can see it, but not nessesarily entirely in crime. Sadly, it's clear to see which migrants are making an effort to contribute to society and which are doing the bare minimum to claim the state's welfare. Fewer than desired also go on to learn the language, and there is a failure of integration. I'd say if like 60%/40% in failure vs success.
Reply 18
Sorry for sounding crude in my previous posts. Having living in Sweden I've learnt an huge amount - society is very very different from that of the UK. They really value good citizenship and adhering to a few basic societal expectations. Freedom of speech here is on another level and people discuss things and use language that would go under UK "hate speech" regulations, but they really are not hateful people. I actually think the transparency of the society is it's biggest strength and has allowed for a very balanced political landscape.
In respect to migration, I live in Lund only a few Km from Malmö. Yes, there is a problem and you can see it, but not nessesarily entirely in crime. Sadly, it's clear to see which migrants are making an effort to contribute to society and which are doing the bare minimum to claim the state's welfare. Fewer than desired also go on to learn the language, and there is a failure of integration. I'd say if like 60%/40% in failure vs success.

eh, it's fine. it's a pretty intense topic

never been there tbh. cultural differences can be... strange. like on one hand i don't mind people preferring to create their own little communities, having their own values, even when living in a foreign country. but sometimes they just cross the line. i see tons of tiktoks with like islamic religious leaders promoting **** that is completely conflicting local values, e.g. womens and lgbt rights, all that crap. that ****es me off tbh
Here I was thinking you got permanently baned

Quick Reply

Latest