The Student Room Group

Will World War 3 happen soon?

Are we facing a worldwide conflict like WW1 and 2? If so when do you think it will happen?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reebster
Are we facing a worldwide conflict like WW1 and 2? If so when do you think it will happen?

I don't exclude a World War III in the future, but not so soon and fast you afraid of.

I don't think so. What we are facing is an awful lot more hurt and pain in Israel, Gaza, the West Bank and surrounding territories. It's likely that Hezbollah will come into the fight when Israel attacks Gaza. Iran has demonstrated before that it is reluctant to join in and none of the other Arab countries will, apart from perhaps some Syrian elements, although Syria itself is badly fractured and weakened by internal fighting and they probably won't want Israeli retaliation.
Hopefully not.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Hopefully not.

At least not as long as we are living. I don't care what comes next when I am dead, do you?
Just imagine if WW3 started (I really hope not):

Russia-Ukraine
Israel-Palestine
Ireland-Northern Ireland (UK)
North Korea-South Korea
China-Taiwan
Pakistan-India
Iran-Iraq
Turkey-Greece
Original post by Kallisto
At least not as long as we are living. I don't care what comes next when I am dead, do you?

Not sure about whether I’d care or not
Original post by QuantumYitian

Russia-Ukraine
Israel-Palestine
North Korea-South Korea
China-Taiwan
Pakistan-India
Iran-Iraq
Turkey-Greece

Or
India-Canada
Niger-France (not sure about this one though)

I doubt it
Original post by QuantumYitian

Russia-Ukraine
Israel-Palestine
North Korea-South Korea
China-Taiwan
Pakistan-India
Iran-Iraq
Turkey-Greece

No one would win, if atomic weapons are used and spread worldwide. War of destruction, nothing else would it be. People already have the power to kill everything on earth.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 10
Ok, so - very subjective answer: as absolutely devastating the Israel-Gaza-West Bank war is, I don’t quite believe it could start WW3. @Fullofsurprises put it well here:

Iran has demonstrated before that it is reluctant to join in and none of the other Arab countries will, apart from perhaps some Syrian elements, although Syria itself is badly fractured and weakened by internal fighting and they probably won't want Israeli retaliation.

I’d also add that the Israel conflict has been going on for a long time, the various countries have had time to develop strategies to keep the world from falling into WW3 if and when the terrible situation there explodes.

Ukraine on the other hand - that I feel could start a chain reaction that could lead to a World war. Why? If Russia had succeeded easily in conquering Ukraine (which it obviously expected) a lot of people thought it would have turned its eye to other countries that belonged to the former USSR, especially ones that could form a buffer to the west. Estonia, Latvia and especially Lithuania, which would allow a direct connection to Kaliningrad oblansk, come to mind. If you look at a map you can immediately see how that might make sense with Belarus and Ukraine under Russian control. All three of these countries are NATO members, so if Russia attacked all NATO Allie’s would have to respond. We see how that could easily spread to a WW3…

That’s the reason all the Western countries pour so much aid into Ukraine. At least that conflict costs us only money, not bodies. If Russia takes Ukraine - who knows what would happen next.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Elladan
Ok, so - very subjective answer: as absolutely devastating the Israel-Gaza-West Bank war is, I don’t quite believe it could start WW3. @Fullofsurprises put it well here:

Iran has demonstrated before that it is reluctant to join in and none of the other Arab countries will, apart from perhaps some Syrian elements, although Syria itself is badly fractured and weakened by internal fighting and they probably won't want Israeli retaliation.

I’d also add that the Israel conflict has been going on for a long time, the various countries have had time to develop strategies to keep the world from falling into WW3 if and when the terrible situation there explodes.

Ukraine on the other hand - that I feel could start a chain reaction that could lead to a World war. Why? If Russia had succeeded easily in conquering Ukraine (which it obviously expected) a lot of people thought it would have turned its eye to other countries that belonged to the former USSR, especially ones that could form a buffer to the west. Estonia, Latvia and especially Lithuania, which would allow a direct connection to Kaliningrad oblansk, come to mind. If you look at a map you can immediately see how that might make sense with Belarus and Ukraine under Russian control. All three of these countries are NATO members, so if Russia attacked all NATO Allie’s would have to respond. We see how that could easily spread to a WW3…

That’s the reason all the Western countries pour so much aid into Ukraine. At least that conflict costs us only money, not bodies. If Russia takes Ukraine - who knows what would happen next.

If Russia takes Ukraine, nothing would happen next. Some Russophobes have it stuck in their heads that Russia wants to do something different to its aims. All President Putin needs is the US to have war fatigue and the West would follow suit.

Israel is more strategically important than Ukraine hence why Zelensky has started the campaign to ensure that Ukraine is not forgotten.
Original post by Wired_1800
I doubt it

Me too, that makes two of us.

Original post by Wired_1800
If Russia takes Ukraine, nothing would happen next. Some Russophobes have it stuck in their heads that Russia wants to do something different to its aims. All President Putin needs is the US to have war fatigue and the West would follow suit.

Israel is more strategically important than Ukraine hence why Zelensky has started the campaign to ensure that Ukraine is not forgotten.

I doubt that even the USA wants to declare a war against Russia.
Probably not.

That said, the prospect of WW3 within the next decade gets more likely each time the uk & usa agree to hand over billions of cash or gold bullion to a deranged theocracy hellbent on going down the nuclear route.
Particularly those that have a long history of funding brutal terrorist criminality overseas and mass murdering resident citizens who are either: atheists, homosexuals, supporters of social & academic freemixing, unmarried parents, deemed to be insufficiently devout in their daily religious observances or excessively liberal in their interpretation of traditional theology.
I don't exclude a World War III in the future, but not so soon and fast you afraid of.

Ever so slightly harrowing statement lol
No one would win, if atomic weapons are used and spread worldwide. War of destruction, nothing else would it be. People already have the power to kill everything on earth.

Original post by Elladan

this was a cold take ain gon lie
I don't think, or I hope it won't happen, but you have to admit this era is very reminiscent of the events leading up to the World Wars. We have a network of tensions, lots of conflicts going on but that are just waiting to explode to become huge things, authoritarian states popping up and being increasingly bold...
Reply 17
Probably not. The chance of a world war being sparked from the ongoing Israeli-Palestine conflict is practically 0, if that is what you are afraid of. Neither Israel or Palestine are great powers or wield the geopolitical clout to ignite a world war. And while the United States is a major backer of Israel, no other major world military power is invested enough in the conflict to cause a war, with both China and Russia taking neutral stances. That said, current international tensions are the highest they have been since the Cold War.

I believe there are two major possible flashpoints that could ignite a third world war:

1) A serious escalation between NATO and Russia due to the ongoing war in Ukraine. This could be caused by myriad of reasons, including accidental escalation resulting in NATO and Russia being in a state of war with each other.

2) China decides to invade Taiwan in the near future and the United States responds with direct military action in defence of Taiwan as they have promised. The US estimates that such an event could occur from 2027 onwards.

However, I wouldn't be too concerned yet as the chances are still low. Trust me you would know if it was coming. WW2 did not just come out of nowhere, entire nations had already began mobilisation and placing themselves on war footing months before the war actually started. We are not at the stage yet, and there is nothing to suggest that will happen anytime soon. Life is too short to worry about these things.
(edited 6 months ago)
Me too, that makes two of us.

I doubt that even the USA wants to declare a war against Russia.

Powerful countries try to avoid direct conflicts to reduce the likelihood of mutually assured destruction.
Reply 19

Relatively unlikely this decade.

Russia lacks the industrial capacity to successfully invade NATO or even the EU so there's not much incentive to nuke people since you can't press the advantage. China has not been willing to become actively involved.

Egypt, Saudi and Turkey have good relations with Israel which means the only state that could enter a prolonged war with them is Iran and there's nothing to suggest that Russia or China would back Iran which means that such a conflict would likely not escalate even if they nuked each other.

Africa is still too weak to be a real contender in sparking such a war. South America is not viable either.

The US and China currently are too integrated economically to go to war and China to its credit appears to care more about money than anything else.

So IMO it's not actually the current conflicts that are likely to light the spark.

The two most likely conflicts likely to start WW3 are..

1) China Vs Asia Pacific - So many stakeholders here even outside Taiwan albeit, I don't view this as likely.

2) The real danger is China Vs India.

India will become the third largest economy in the next decade or two with the potential to surpass both the US and China in industrial output. History tells us that they probably won't blindly submit to Chinese hegemony and they have existing border disputes.

So yeah, in the long run I view China and India as the potential aggressors in WW3, dragging everybody else in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending