The Student Room Group

Hobbit Casting Agent Fired After Discrimination Allegations (British Pakistani)

Scroll to see replies

She went to the audition so she could sue. Duh.

Brb, auditioning for the role of Kim Jong-Il. I'm sure they can make me look Korean with make-up and camera angles and ting
People have to understand that it is not just Lord of The Rings which is being destroyed by political correctness.

The same goes for Narnia, Aslan the Lion was supposed to represent Jesus Christ by his author C.S Lewis. Liam Nesson and one of the producers attempted to downplay this and claim that the lion could be Muhammed or Budda

Then we have Merlin on BBC one. Merlin is English mythology set in the early dark ages, so can someone tell me whyy there wer black soldiers and Knights in the production ?

I said this before in the other thread and I will say it again, is there nothing that we Europeans cna claim as our own, is there not one part of our culture that is free from the sharp claws of multiculturalism.

Will you Multiculturalists only be happy after the complete destruction of white civilisation ?
Reply 22
Original post by Sendaii
Because the hobbits (indeed, most of the characters in LOTR) are white or light skinned. Are you seriously suggesting that the casting director is racist for keeping to the story? Would you say the same if a light skinned person was turned down because the director was looking for a dark-skinned person? Are you mentally deficient?

Why should colour matter, this is ridiculous. There have been several historic films whereby non white have been cast, why the **** should colour matter. Ridiculous.

Crackers, all the ******** same!
Original post by ajtiesto
Why should colour matter, this is ridiculous. There have been several historic films whereby non white have been cast, why the **** should colour matter. Ridiculous.

I think I understand now ........ you resent the fact that you are not white.

Oh do shut up, you ridiculous creature.
Reply 25
You lot shouldn't be hypocrites though, (I'm sure most of you are not) and support casting of white people in non-white roles like Prince of Persia.
Original post by SomaliMan
You lot shouldn't be hypocrites though, (I'm sure most of you are not) and support casting of white people in non-white roles like Prince of Persia.

No one is being a hypocrite, have you not read the posts in this thread, everyone supports authenticity.
Reply 27
Original post by PlanetEuropa
No one is being a hypocrite, have you not read the posts in this thread, everyone supports authenticity.

True, but sometimes its nearly impossible, look at Black Hawk Down, its supposed to be in SOmalia, but all the extras are Nigerians (or other West Africans).
I'm hoping to see a black man playing the role of the king in medieval England.
Did anyone see that Disney Cinderella film?

Cinderella was black
The Prince was Oriental
His mum was black and his dad was white. :teehee:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128996/
People have to understand that it is not just Lord of The Rings which is being destroyed by political correctness.

The same goes for Narnia, Aslan the Lion was supposed to represent Jesus Christ by his author C.S Lewis. Liam Nesson and one of the producers attempted to downplay this and claim that the lion could be Muhammed or Budda

Then we have Merlin on BBC one. Merlin is English mythology set in the early dark ages, so can someone tell me whyy there wer black soldiers and Knights in the production ?

I said this before in the other thread and I will say it again, is there nothing that we Europeans cna claim as our own, is there not one part of our culture that is free from the sharp claws of multiculturalism.

Will you Multiculturalists only be happy after the complete destruction of white civilisation ?

lot's of black people in Robin Hood too.
Reply 31
Why did she complain? It's not that big a deal. Find another movie to be a fricking extra in.

Edit: All the same, I do think there should have been other coloured people in LOTR. The people from the south in the books were supposed to be dark (I imagined black) and that guy (can't remember his name) who was prince or something who came to help out during the final battle I always imagined as Arab.
(edited 13 years ago)

I am sure in 50 years when Whites have become an ethnic minority in Europe, they will be taking about the historical significance of Black soldiers in Merlin in history books and the part it played in the destruction of White Civilisation.

It sounds like it could make a good GCSE essay question.
Original post by S_123
Why did she complain? It's not that big a deal. Find another movie to be a fricking extra in.

Edit: All the same, I do think there should have been other coloured people in LOTR. The people from the south in the books were supposed to be dark (I imagined black) and that guy (can't remember his name) who was prince or something who came to help out during the final battle I always imagined as Arab.

She didn't complain. It is just something hyped up the media as usual.

Her Statment:
-----------------------
"

I am extremely surprised by the media attention this story has received. And it has been quite an eye-opener to read some of the comments regarding this relatively trivial story that stray into attacks on racial, ethnic and gender equality in the wider workplace.

I would like to clarify and stress that I did not seek out or approach any media outlet with my story. I set up a Facebook group as a private joke about my experience at The Hobbit casting to share with some of my friends. A journalist came across the group and then called me. During our conversation I made clear that I did not want this to be a published story, but this was ignored.

The casting advert I responded to was published on Bebo and did not stipulate any racial or skin tone requirements. I went to the audition for fun, just like the rest of the hopefuls, and was merely annoyed at not being notified of all the requirements for the casting in the published advert. I understand that the film and theatre industries have legitimate reasons to hire performers whose appearance matches their role and I support their right to do so.

However, as The Hobbit production team has now made clear, no such instructions were specified by the Directors or the Film Studio in this instance. The production team has now kindly addressed this issue fully and I am very grateful for their intervention.

For my part, I have learned to take more care with my Facebook privacy settings to avoid starting a worldwide media phenomenon while chatting to my mates.

I would like to wish all the best to the Hobbit Production team in their endeavour and very much look forward to seeing The Hobbit movies, just like all the other fans around the world.

----------------------

AHHHHHHHHHHHH......so hold on.

She never complained and she supports the right of Film studios to discriminate by appearance/race.

I thought exactly what you did. It is such a nonsensical thing for someone to get riled up about, that there must be a degree of sensationalism regarding the affair.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
Why can't non white people be in these films. Racist **** deserved what he/she got. What stupid thing to say for a professional.

:troll:
Original post by DorianGrayism

Original post by DorianGrayism
She didn't complain. It is just something hyped up the media as usual.

Her Statment:
-----------------------
"

I am extremely surprised by the media attention this story has received. And it has been quite an eye-opener to read some of the comments regarding this relatively trivial story that stray into attacks on racial, ethnic and gender equality in the wider workplace.

I would like to clarify and stress that I did not seek out or approach any media outlet with my story. I set up a Facebook group as a private joke about my experience at The Hobbit casting to share with some of my friends. A journalist came across the group and then called me. During our conversation I made clear that I did not want this to be a published story, but this was ignored.

The casting advert I responded to was published on Bebo and did not stipulate any racial or skin tone requirements. I went to the audition for fun, just like the rest of the hopefuls, and was merely annoyed at not being notified of all the requirements for the casting in the published advert. I understand that the film and theatre industries have legitimate reasons to hire performers whose appearance matches their role and I support their right to do so.

However, as The Hobbit production team has now made clear, no such instructions were specified by the Directors or the Film Studio in this instance. The production team has now kindly addressed this issue fully and I am very grateful for their intervention.

For my part, I have learned to take more care with my Facebook privacy settings to avoid starting a worldwide media phenomenon while chatting to my mates.

I would like to wish all the best to the Hobbit Production team in their endeavour and very much look forward to seeing The Hobbit movies, just like all the other fans around the world.

----------------------

AHHHHHHHHHHHH......so hold on.

She never complained and she supports the right of Film studios to discriminate by appearance/race.

I thought exactly what you did. It is such a nonsensical thing for someone to get riled up about, that there must be a degree of sensationalism regarding the affair.

What a complete knob.

Firstly, the fact that she made a public Facebook group as a private joke is just plain moronic. I'm guessing she started one of those petition things where you get as many people to join as possible.
Secondly, of course she wanted the story to be published. Who speaks to a journalist about a story like this and expects them not to publish it?
Thirdly, did they really have to make it specifically clear that they wanted white actors? It's common sense ffs :colonhash:

She's a liar :dontknow: and is trying to stop herself from looking like an idiot. And it's not working
She's just being pedantic about nothin..
Reply 37

Whilst CS Lewis did battle long and hard for The Chronicles of Narna to be recognised as a retelling of The Bible, Neeson and that producer are well within their rights to interpret the books differently. The fact that Jesus' message isn't overly original means it's more than likely that different people will see different religious icons in Aslan.

Most historians are willing to admit that it is possible that Africans were known of in Europe during the time of the Anglo-Saxon "invasion", not that it ever was one, and more than likely made it to Britain. As someone else has suggested, the Irish are more than likely descended from people from the Basque region, who will have intermixed with the peoples from Africa. That said, knights are a bit random for that time period. However, common perceptions of Arthur and Merlin have shifted them considerably forward in time to a period which did have knights. Mostly thanks to the Legend of Sir Gawain or whatever that French romance was called.
Reply 38
That woman needs to get over it! She should have done her research!
Reply 39
Personally, I'm glad that the inherent racism in Tolkien's works is finally being recognised. One step closer towards banning the fascist text "The Lord of the Rings".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending