The Student Room Group

Why is christmas celebrated on 25th?

Why do people celebrate christmas on 25th even though they know Jesus wasnt born on december 25th?? This dont really make sense and is a bit weird really. Just proves that people are not into religion and their faith, they just do what they want

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
if you're genuinely interested in finding out and not just trying to cause some sort of lame religious debate, go look it up. google is a good start.
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure it was set up as a Christian festival to take the place of what was a pagan festival of light (since it is close to the shortest day of the year)
In Germany it's celebrated on the 24th, and Xmas swapping part is done on the 1st (jan) in Greece, so I guess each country just has its own little way of celebrating :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by arabie
if you're genuinely interested in finding out and not just trying to cause some sort of lame religious debate, go look it up. google is a good start.

Yes i am genuinely trying to find out and i want to know why?? Lets start with why you do it? This is no religious debate! so no need to get angry
Reply 5
It doesn't prove anything of the sort. The date on which Jesus's birth is celebrated makes no difference to Christian's faith that Christ came to save them from their sins. It makes no difference whatsoever to the depth of their faith. Christmas has been celebrated on 25th December for at least 1500 years and the date is as good as any. It's what the day commemorates that matters.
Reply 6
It's just an excuse in this country to get drunk, shag strangers and stuff yourself with dirty mince pies. It's a waste of time and it should be banned imo. Pathetic really!
It is from the Pagan festival but I would agree that it really which date is irrelevant.
It's a celebration of Jesus being born, which happens every year, despite there being evidence that He was actually born at some point during April. But it's more a time for reflection about Jesus and God than an exact representation of His birth, to be honest.
Reply 9
Reply 10
Original post by jonasdb
I'm pretty sure it was set up as a Christian festival to take the place of what was a pagan festival of light (since it is close to the shortest day of the year)

Yes thats what i thought but aint it meant to be to mark the birth of Jesus??
Reply 11
Original post by mujahid_e3
Yes i am genuinely trying to find out and i want to know why?? Lets start with why you do it? This is no religious debate! so no need to get angry

your original post heavily suggested that anybody who celebrates christmas on this day are clearly not into their religion and have no faith, bit of an outrageous claim to make tbh.

christmas day is a day for people to celebrate the birth of jesus, although it's not known whether this was the actual day he was born or not. it's thought that early christians chose this day to celebrate because it was nine months after he was conceived.

some christians celebrate it on the 6th of january and some on the 7th, too.

although christmas is also a non-religious celebration too, to assume that anybody who celebrates it ISN'T religious and just clueless is a bit ignorant, and i'm not even religious.

there you go
Reply 12
Original post by dotty_but_good
It is from the Pagan festival but I would agree that it really which date is irrelevant.

Yes thats what im thinking! Thanks for your comment
Reply 13
Original post by Kew
It doesn't prove anything of the sort. The date on which Jesus's birth is celebrated makes no difference to Christian's faith that Christ came to save them from their sins. It makes no difference whatsoever to the depth of their faith. Christmas has been celebrated on 25th December for at least 1500 years and the date is as good as any. It's what the day commemorates that matters.

Yes but people celebrate it to mark jesuses birth! The thing u said is like saying for e.g if your birthday is one dec 1st but people celebrate it on sept 8th it doesnt really make sense does it? its irrelevant
Reply 14
Winter Solstice/Pagan winter celebrations took place on the 25th so the Christian movement around Europe (I believe mainly the Romans who were very influential and also rather fanatical about Christianity) decided the celebration should be on the same day to 'outshine' the other celebrations.
Reply 15
its celebrated on the 25th because it was a holiday to a roman god (Sol Invictus believe) this happened with many festivals being reused after they became christian that way bepole could still party old style but for new reasons
Reply 16
Original post by arabie
your original post heavily suggested that anybody who celebrates christmas on this day are clearly not into their religion and have no faith, bit of an outrageous claim to make tbh.

christmas day is a day for people to celebrate the birth of jesus, although it's not known whether this was the actual day he was born or not. it's thought that early christians chose this day to celebrate because it was nine months after he was conceived.

some christians celebrate it on the 6th of january and some on the 7th, too.

although christmas is also a non-religious celebration too, to assume that anybody who celebrates it ISN'T religious and just clueless is a bit ignorant, and i'm not even religious.

there you go

No i think you took it the wrong way what i meant was that people dont actually know when the date is but they just celebrate it. Jesus as people say was christian so should you be a chrisitan and celebrate it?? It dont make sense its just like saying: i dont know when your birthday is so lets do it today? its also like saying your a buddhist and im not but let me just celebrate for the sake of it! itss just so irrelevant.

Dont take any of this to the heart!

Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by ajtiesto
It's just an excuse in this country to get drunk, shag strangers and stuff yourself with dirty mince pies. It's a waste of time and it should be banned imo. Pathetic really!

Not really, it's a time to spend with family, have a couple of drinks to feel "merry" and just generally a time to relax.

And for those who are Christians - they use it to celebrate the birth of Jesus, and considering it is a "Christian Country" we should be allowed to keep it and publicise it as much as we want to :smile:

Just because he wasn't born on that day, it doesn't mean Christians can't celebrate it then, it was changed to the 25th December hundreds of years ago to match the Pagan's winter solstice or something.
It's just what we've been brought up to do.
Reply 19
Original post by mujahid_e3
Yes but people celebrate it to mark jesuses birth! The thing u said is like saying for e.g if your birthday is one dec 1st but people celebrate it on sept 8th it doesnt really make sense does it? its irrelevant

But no-one knows the actual date of Christ's birth. If it was down in the historical record that he was born on September 8th (for example), then people would celebrate it on September 8th. As it is, this information hasn't survived so people celebrate it on a different day instead. It's what the day represents and commemorates that matters; the fact that it's on an arbitary date set in the 5th century is irrelevant.

I think you're just determined to carry on believing that Christians aren't sincere in their faith.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending