The Student Room Group

How much do you judge people based on their taste in music?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Not really. Though in some cases I'd probably would judge them a little bit on their music taste. I like a lot of different things. From Mozart to Metallica to put it mildly. Though there are some genres I don't listen to. (Hip hop, rap, death metal etc). And not overly sweet or whiny songs. I do like rock, alternative rock, classical etc.

Right now I'm listening to Globus.. I love Immediate Music, they make awesome trailer music. And Globus is a "cinematic rock band". . Playing Immediate Music's music with lyrics, lol. I highly recommend them!
Or just check out Immediate Music or E.S Posthumus. They're brilliant!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Inversion
A few of my best mates only really listen to chart stuff, I'm not prejudiced against any genres and I enjoy clubbing and drinking as much as anyone else. I still listen to stuff like Lady Gaga etc. and don't view it as a "guilty pleasure"; I think that's a stupid position to take. I would defend liking chart music against snobs along with any other music that I like.

I don't really agree with the bolded point though, I'd say you covered most of mainstream entertainment there. Perhaps music is a bad example when contrasted with books and film, I don't think music has as much of an intrinsic intellectual component as those media.

What I meant is that most people aren't interested sufficiently in books, film, music etc to seek out anything that isn't currently mainstream or a classic. Most people know a fair bit about mainstream cinema but there are relatively few peopel with a real interest, the people who can tell you about the cinema of the USSR and stuff like that. Similarily, if you're massively into punk/metal/prog/electronica etc and expect other people to match up to your interests then you're going to fail. That's what I mean. I know someone who tries to make all his friends listen to prog and can't accept that they don't like it. There are times when music elitism can lead to social problems.

I listen to pop music too, but only really at the gym or at parties/nights out. It wouldn't be something I listen to for pleasure. That said, all my friends do, and it wouldn't even enter my mind to make judgements on them for it.

inversion

Naturally I to enjoy people's company more if they share common interests with me; music, film and books are among my main interests.

I've never met someone with the same taste in music as me :dontknow: The only people I've met with the same taste in literature as me are teachers at school, and I have only one friend who shares my taste in film. If these were the criteria I used to select my friends, I would be very lonely indeed.
Original post by field
like many infer here hip-hop is one of the finest forms of expression out there. That is, of course, once commercial rap is disregarded.

What do you mean by "commercial rap". Because if you mean any Hip Hop act which is signed to and promoted by a major record label then I would have to categorically disagree with you.
Only really to the extent if someone trundles off a list of artists like these X-factor winners in their favourite artists lists then I might condemn them. Otherwise, if you can show a far interest in some genres or artists then I don't see why I would. It might mean we didn't have that much to talk about but hey. I mean, my sister's developed this massive interest in Japanese music which is fine but I don't like it having listened to it and therefore can't really talk to her about it. But she's shown some interest in her music and dug deeper than the mainstream (which is a fine way to start but if you're going to stop there then it's a bit sad) which is great.
Reply 84
Original post by Wahaaaay
When finding out that someone has certain musical tastes, do you ever assume their general level of intelligence, or other aspects of their personality? Same applies to class etc. Is it something that you feel is an important factor in terms of getting on with someone? Examples welcome.

Well I don't care too much, but yes, I do tend to judge slightly. If someone listens to grime, hip-hop, generally chavvy stuff, then I'll assume things about them. It's not true in every case though.
Original post by RosyAurora
I pretty much like everything; even the most dire bands have one or two good songs

:h:
Original post by .Ali.
Well I don't care too much, but yes, I do tend to judge slightly. If someone listens to grime, hip-hop, generally chavvy stuff, then I'll assume things about them. It's not true in every case though.

Glad you said this; since I'm the type of person that one minute is listening to some good old Manchester grime and the next, 80s power ballads :teeth:
Reply 87
Original post by Willum Infanta
Glad you said this; since I'm the type of person that one minute is listening to some good old Manchester grime and the next, 80s power ballads :teeth:

Haha exactly, there are some exceptions! It's the people who go around blasting it out their phones, song after mind-numbing song, and who generally fit the whole package, that I judge.
Original post by .Ali.
Haha exactly, there are some exceptions! It's the people who go around blasting it out their phones, song after mind-numbing song, and who generally fit the whole package, that I judge.

I have to admit I do play my music rather loud on my iPod when I'm on the bus :colondollar:
Listening to Mozart doesn't mean you are smart, just because of some scientific studies that don't represent the whole population of the entire world
Original post by field
"screamo" stuff can, in certain circumstances, be very intelligent and endearing. Ambient black metal artists such as Burzum and Alcest are quite complex musically while work composed by Kayo dot and maudlin of the Well, right on the edge of what is considered metal, is extremely technical, taking influence from classical composition, and, in my opinion, of great value. And, indeed, screams and growled vocals are integral to the sound of these artists. From my experience all genres of music have the capacity to genuinely move.

Alcest were never ambient. The project started off as raw black metal with the release of Tristesse Hivernale (an annoyingly overlooked album; I think it's brilliant), then Neige started incorporating more shoegaze-y elements into the music with each release.

Dark Ambient stuff is odd. Velvet Cacoon (probably an example of what too many psychoactive drugs can do to you) and In Vino Veritas are both very good IMO.

Talking of taking influence from classical composition, you might enjoy these:

Reply 91
Original post by Willum Infanta
I have to admit I do play my music rather loud on my iPod when I'm on the bus :colondollar:

Do you have earphones in or not? If you do, then it's acceptable. If not, however... :eek4:
Original post by .Ali.
Do you have earphones in or not? If you do, then it's acceptable. If not, however... :eek4:

Yeah earphones ofc, but that doesn't mean people who sit next to me can't hear it.

Their fault sitting next to me, especially since I intentionally put my hood up to look like I'm going to suddenly knife them :colone:
Original post by Steezy
I judge men on their music taste. I don't judge women as much because I accept that most of the time, women aren't going to like old school hip hop. If a bloke says he likes whatever's in the charts, I assume he's a sporty person, if he's not a sporty person I assume he's a geek, at which point I assume we have nothing in common until proven otherwise. If he is a sporty person, I don't like them that much. I'm a music person!

But girls are more complicated cos they usually have a broader range of taste (e.g. my sister has a great taste, she introduced me to a lot of my favourite ska, punk, rock bands. But she watches and enjoys X Factor!).

So, males - yes, females - to a lesser extent.

... so based on musical tastes, you think there's only 2 types of people? :lolwut:
How does that even work when it comes down to your music tastes:
1) If you listen to chart stuff then you're a "sporty type". But you dislike sporty types, plus you've already admitted to listening to genres of music that don't feature in the charts.
2) You say that people who don't listen to chart music are a "geeky type".
3) Logic dictates that seeing as you don't listen to chart music, and you dislike the sporty type people anyway, that would (by your own definition) make you a geeky type... and you said you assume you have nothing in common with them.

What is this, I don't even...
Reply 94
Original post by Jake22
Well, I tend to differentiate between types of music on a much coarser level then most. So at a root level, I would split my own musical preferences into something like:

1) Art music
e.g. baroque, classical, romantic, impressionist, serialist, post-serialist etc.

2) Folk/traditional music
i.e. regional or culturally based traditions of music

3) Popular Music
e.g. Rock, Chart, Metal, Rap, Hip-Hop

4) Jazz
e.g. Big Band, Bebop, Modal, Latin Jazz, Jazz Fusion etc.

I realise there is a lot of interplay and relationship between the categories but this is just the way I generally think about, understand and enjoy various forms of music.

In particular, I closely associate the various forms of music I am calling pop because they share many formal attributes and methods of production and dissemination. To name a couple:

i) mostly one vocal part and three to four instrumental parts.
ii) mostly song based forms e.g. intro/verse/chorus/verse/middle eight/chorus/outro etc.
iii) similar commercial models.
iv) lyrics are generally more important than in other musical forms.
v) mostly released in the album format with 8 to 12 or so 3-6 minute songs.

Of course these characteristics aren't totally unique but you have to organise things in your own mind somehow. I do see the difference between say a Death Metal band and Lady gaga - I just see the difference as being less profound then the difference between either and, say, Mahler.

Edit: Also, it is because I don't resent the majority of people calling things as diverse as gregorian chanting and post-serialist music all 'classical' because I understand what they mean when they lump the forms together in that way, even if I think they are more disparate than some of the items I consider to be 'pop' music :smile:.

I disagree entirely. As both a metal and classical fan (favourites being prog metal and late romantic; Opeth and Mahler respectively), I can say that there is a very large chunk of metal that is very similar to one hell of a lot of Mahler. I call Mahler the 'Opeth of classical music' because they're two artists who work heavily with dynamics; and use complex structures in their music. Opeth have written very few songs with the standard structure. Hell, if I was musical enough I'd arrange the loud, dischordant bit of the first movement of Mahler's 8th for death metal. It would work ridiculously well.

Do you know stuff like Opeth, Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc? Listen to a 10-minute plus song of theirs, and this is when metal becomes much closer to classical in structural sense than chart pop.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 95
Not at all tbf
Original post by TheSilentG
:biggrin: You're one cool cat :h:. I do like Black Metal to some extent bands such as: Behemoth, 1349, Agalloch, Celtic Frost, Marduk (quack, quack :h:), Venom and Dimmu Borgir, though I'm musically diverse. Perhaps you could reccomend some Black Metal from my selections as you're a Black Metal connoisseur if that's ok with you :smile:.

Eh? That's really confused me :teehee:
You wanting me to recommend you black metal with the bands that I know, or are you wanting me to take recommendations for myself from bands that you know?

Being honest, the only band that I really got along with out of that list was Agalloch. One day I'll actually get my arse in gear and go up to see them play in London. Damn motivation.
Reply 97
Original post by Drunk Punx
... so based on musical tastes, you think there's only 2 types of people? :lolwut:
How does that even work when it comes down to your music tastes:
1) If you listen to chart stuff then you're a "sporty type". But you dislike sporty types, plus you've already admitted to listening to genres of music that don't feature in the charts.
2) You say that people who don't listen to chart music are a "geeky type".
3) Logic dictates that seeing as you don't listen to chart music, and you dislike the sporty type people anyway, that would (by your own definition) make you a geeky type... and you said you assume you have nothing in common with them.

What is this, I don't even...

I can't really be arsed to explain what I said, I didn't realise it was going to be taken so literally. I've stereotypically put people into 3 groups - people who like music, people who like sports and people who like games/other media. I know there are other types of people. What I'm saying is that if someone is really into their music, I'll get on with them - no matter what music they're into, I can always relate. What I find with people who are not so headstrong & passionate about their music tastes are usually into their sports or just have no real interests.

So, in conclusion, I find I can relate better with people who are passionate about their music taste (which is rare when somebody listens to pop music).
Reply 98
I like to think I don't judge, unless perhaps it was someone who limited themselves to chart music and thought Cheryl Cole should be rightful queen of the world, in which case I might assume them somewhat narrow minded and tasteless. I can't actually recall ever coming across someone like that really so all is well. I listen to all manner of things that I probably would have once completely disregarded based purely on the genre (e.g, hip hop), so for me to judge others on their tastes would be a little odd.
Original post by Steezy
I can't really be arsed to explain what I said, I didn't realise it was going to be taken so literally. I've stereotypically put people into 3 groups - people who like music, people who like sports and people who like games/other media. I know there are other types of people. What I'm saying is that if someone is really into their music, I'll get on with them - no matter what music they're into, I can always relate. What I find with people who are not so headstrong & passionate about their music tastes are usually into their sports or just have no real interests.

So, in conclusion, I find I can relate better with people who are passionate about their music taste (which is rare when somebody listens to pop music).

Oh I seeeeee. Fair do's.
I'm feeling really pedantic this morning, probably because I haven't been for a smoke/had anything to eat yet.

Quick Reply

Latest