The Student Room Group

How many of you have actually "inherited" the music taste of your parents?

Personally, I have a strong affinity for '80/'90s pop songs, be they English pop, Europop or J-pop.

Just as most of my friends, I was born in the 1990s, grew up in the 2000s, finished undergrad in the 2010s, who are supposed to have listened to '00s pop songs more than the older ones.

However, '80/'90s pop songs are the ones I heard the most on the radio and from my parents when I was young, which evolved to be the songs that touch me the most as they somewhat bring me back to a time when I didn't have to worry too much about life, though not necessarily happier than present. Sometimes, when I listen to these older songs in midnight, my tears would fall for no reason.

I kind of feel that there's actually a Gen X soul living in my body and dictating my worldview.

How many of you feel the same?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some, but not all, or even most, to be honest.
Original post by gjd800
Some, but not all, or even most, to be honest.

Nice.
Reply 3
My mom was 18 when she had me, and my dad was 21. My mom was a teen in the early 2000’s and grew up with music from the 90’s and early 2000’s. Music like Avril Lavigne, Blink-182, Nirvana, My Chemical Romance, Nelly, Eminem, TLC. I inherited quite a bit of her music taste, as well as my dads. My dad and my mom had some similar music taste. Thanks to my dad I also listen to Korn, Slipknot, Mac Miller, and more. I’ve also developed my own music taste, I listen to some music my parents do not care for at all, but I definitely love and appreciate that they’ve raised me off such great eras.
Reply 4
Not me. My dad leans towards the jazzy, classical music scene. He also loves artistes like Sting and Bruce Springsteen. My mom leans toward reggae and R&B.

I ended up with an eclectic taste. Some days, I like jazz or reggae. Other days, all I want to hear is Sting. But I also listen to many genres I didn't grow up hearing. As long as it's a song that moves me either emotionally or physically, I don't care about the genre.
Original post by Eva^
My mom was 18 when she had me, and my dad was 21. My mom was a teen in the early 2000’s and grew up with music from the 90’s and early 2000’s. Music like Avril Lavigne, Blink-182, Nirvana, My Chemical Romance, Nelly, Eminem, TLC. I inherited quite a bit of her music taste, as well as my dads. My dad and my mom had some similar music taste. Thanks to my dad I also listen to Korn, Slipknot, Mac Miller, and more. I’ve also developed my own music taste, I listen to some music my parents do not care for at all, but I definitely love and appreciate that they’ve raised me off such great eras.

My daughter could have written something similar to this.
I was 21 when I had her in 2005, and she's definitely grown up with 90s & early 2000s rock/metal/alternative /indie stuff as a result.
She does have some of her own rather unusual (in my opinion) tastes as well, but a big majority of her musical tastes reflects mine and my husband's.

My boys not so much though.
I like a lot of 60s music as a result of my mam. Big Beatles fan for sure. I also like Mike Oldfield thanks to my dad. My parents were born in the late 1940s.

My mam's biggest loves though are classical music and Neil Diamond, which I'm okay with but I wouldn't say I'm wildly excited by. Both of my parents (but my dad mostly) adore Pavarotti - the dude had a powerful set of lungs but I wouldn't rush out and buy a CD of Nessun Dorma or anything.

I like 80s/90s/early 2000s/rock/alt/metal/indie mostly which is an absolute polar opposite from my mother. She thinks most things I listen to are satanic :biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Noooooooooooo
My parents are into old school soft rock/rock...whatever AC DC and stuff like that is.

And I like rap/hip hop and 90s/early 2000s dance music.
(edited 1 year ago)
i listen to a lot of the same music my dad listened to when we were in the car, mainly the prodigy, the chemical brothers, fatboy slim and other bands of that similar vibe.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
My daughter could have written something similar to this.
I was 21 when I had her in 2005, and she's definitely grown up with 90s & early 2000s rock/metal/alternative /indie stuff as a result.
She does have some of her own rather unusual (in my opinion) tastes as well, but a big majority of her musical tastes reflects mine and my husband's.

My boys not so much though.

Gosh my mum is of your parents' age and she was almost 40 when she had me she is an elderly now
Original post by ABBAForever2015
Gosh my mum is of your parents' age and she was almost 40 when she had me she is an elderly now

My parents were 34 & 35 when they had me
Nope.
Original post by emmajk99
i listen to a lot of the same music my dad listened to when we were in the car, mainly the prodigy, the chemical brothers, fatboy slim and other bands of that similar vibe.

Fair enough.
I'm not into Sinhalese baila music (which is what my dad loves) or Elvis, but I do think having 'older' music played at home (The Bee Gees and Boney M mainly) helped get me into ABBA :awesome: And my mum being a classical pianist definitely influenced my love of the piano :moon:
I developed my own music tastes. I like some of the stuff from the 80's, and some of the stuff my mum and dad like. But i like my own stuff.
Original post by Emma:-)
I developed my own music tastes. I like some of the stuff from the 80's, and some of the stuff my mum and dad like. But i like my own stuff.

Brilliant. Me too.
(edited 1 year ago)
my mum was born in 1978 and while i was growing up she very frequently played music such as aerosmith, bon jovi, my chemical romance, bryan adams etc and i can say for certain that it's definitely influenced my music taste. i like almost all types of music but lean heavily towards rock and modern rock :smile:. my dad on the other hand (1979) likes artists such as fatboy slim, muse and linkin park so it's tied in quite nicely with what i like to listen to anyway
I took my dad to a gig of my fav band about 10 years ago and now he's inherited my taste :yep:
My Dad exposed me to metal music whilst I was still in the womb so I've grown up loving it.

My Mum's into 80's music and although it's alright it doesn't hold a candle to my Dad's taste in music.
Original post by ICEcold_Stoic
My Dad exposed me to metal music whilst I was still in the womb so I've grown up loving it.

My Mum's into 80's music and although it's alright it doesn't hold a candle to my Dad's taste in music.

Oh I see. It's interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest