The Student Room Group

How much is 1gb of internet?

I'm thinking of getting an iphone contract and they're offering me 1gb internet.. and i'm just confused as to how much that is?! Is that a lot? Obviously it depends on how much and how often you use it.. i would say I am a regular user. I use it just to google things, facebook and maybe check out videos or something if I've got an iphone. plus, i use emails, so how would that be counted?

All this confusion is putting me off the iphone contract, although I really want it!!!! and thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy GS which gives me unlimited internet.. howeverrrr, this contract is 24months whereas the iphone one was for 12 months only.. ahhh confusion!!!
Reply 1
Way I was told to look at it [grossly simplified, I admit] was that one page of information = 1mb.

Calculate that upwards as you see fit.
Original post by sdiana91
I'm thinking of getting an iphone contract and they're offering me 1gb internet.. and i'm just confused as to how much that is?! Is that a lot? Obviously it depends on how much and how often you use it.. i would say I am a regular user. I use it just to google things, facebook and maybe check out videos or something if I've got an iphone. plus, i use emails, so how would that be counted?

All this confusion is putting me off the iphone contract, although I really want it!!!! and thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy GS which gives me unlimited internet.. howeverrrr, this contract is 24months whereas the iphone one was for 12 months only.. ahhh confusion!!!

You mean, how much is 1GB of bandwidth for your data plan.

Right, page views and stuff,- it's ALOT.

Orange sold me 500MB as being practically unlimited for people who use mobile internet casually. Indeed, 1GB and 500MB plans seem standard and are fit for purpose as far as I have seen.

Streaming TV from TV Catchup will eat this like crazy, as will heavy youtube steaming for instance.

But 1GB for normal usage is enough.
(edited 13 years ago)
For the average user that would be more than enough. I use about 300-400mb a month and that's with a lot of browsing the internet on my phone at breakfast and a fair use of twitter.

I'm not very knowledgeable but I thought the average page of information was more like 5kb, but I could be wrong.

Either way unless you're on the phone's internet for 12 hours a day you'll be fine :wink:
Reply 4
1024 mb!!!!
Any one of the following:

10,000 pages (text) OR
3,000 pages (image-heavy) OR
1,000,000 emails OR
2,000 emails + attachments OR
200 songs OR
2 hours video

Thanks to this handy website: http://cow.neondragon.net/index.php/what-does-500mb-or-1gb-internet-actually-mean-explaining-mobile-data-limits
Original post by Sheepmaster317
For the average user that would be more than enough. I use about 300-400mb a month and that's with a lot of browsing the internet on my phone at breakfast and a fair use of twitter.

I'm not very knowledgeable but I thought the average page of information was more like 5kb, but I could be wrong.

Either way unless you're on the phone's internet for 12 hours a day you'll be fine :wink:

Depends how the page has been created and content. I'd probably suggest that because most modern websites are highly graphical, most pages would be near to 1MB, with the average being around half of that.

So average, as a good estimate = 500kb
Unless you're going to do a hell of a lot of streaming and downloading huge files then 1gb should suffice :smile:

I use emails everyday plus a lot of similar sites like ebay etc, I download quite a lot of songs and I stream occasionally. I've never gone over 1gb.
12 month contract, is that with Tesco?
Reply 9
just about enough when using phone as sat nav and youtube
more than enough if using either, including fb msn and other internet use
This much: [.........................]
Reply 11
Original post by trojan10_om
12 month contract, is that with Tesco?

yessssur :smile:
Quite alot, I'm paying £10 a month for my iPhone with 500 mb of data, unlimited texts etc and it's fine and i use the internet ALOT.
Reply 13
yh it's alot. Basically if you have to ask how much it is - you probably won't use anywhere near that amount.

I once streamed music for most of the day, daily for a month (last.fm) and that used just over 1GB.

Also, any plan that tells you it gives you "unlimited" internet is misleading. There is usually a fair usage policy which effectively limits your internet usage. The only plan that gives you genuine unlimited internet even when using your phone as a modem (i.e. accessing internet on your pc through your phone) is Three Mobile's ONE PLAN with all-you-can-eat data.

btw the potential uses of this particular plan are incredible. You can use it as your home broadband for instance, as well as internet for your phone, even online gaming! ...potentially
Original post by payday5950
..even online gaming! ...potentially

..would hate to play anything with the latency on that thing :tongue:
Reply 15
I swear Tesco are the operator that include wifi in the 1Gb per month?

I'd go with 3. They offer unlimited internet I think. The whole point of a smartphone is the connectivity with internet and the 'do anything' idea which means if you need a smartphone like the iPhone, designed for use with the internet, you need unlimited internet.
Original post by sdiana91

Thats a bit like asking how much is 1L of water :tongue:

As long as your not streaming video, you will be fine with 1gb...
I'd say 99% of people are.

But if your anything like me, you'll be going through 5-6gb mobile data alone!
Reply 17
Original post by chaz1992
I swear Tesco are the operator that include wifi in the 1Gb per month?

I'd go with 3. They offer unlimited internet I think. The whole point of a smartphone is the connectivity with internet and the 'do anything' idea which means if you need a smartphone like the iPhone, designed for use with the internet, you need unlimited internet.

yeaaah, but iphone contracts never offer unlimited anymore, it sucks! but yeah, tesco do offer wifi so tis good :smile:
i'm on a 500mb plan and i never really come close to going over. I only use youtube when i have wifi though, just cause otherwise it can be really slow if theres not 3g signal)

Also, i have an app that monitors how much i've used up which is useful, this is on android but theres proabably somethign similar for iphone.
Most people never go over 500mb, even if they have email constantly on and check Facebook multiple times a day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending