The Student Room Group

Getting ignorance off my chest, anyone else wanna join?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vampygirl666
actually is it debatable whether those are facts or not.
For instance whether all White girls are slags we first need to judge an appropriate universal definition of 'slag' and then whether you were correct in judging the White girl you met you judged correctly.

Wait wait, you so actually want to say that all white girls are slags?

Can you say the opposite is true?

I've obviously defined slag already too,- to form my opinion/that sentence.

I'd say it's certain that not even a huge proportion of white girls are slags.

Just like not every black person carries a knife.
Well aren't you clever. Oh wait, no you're not:

Original post by super.teve

The Coalition:

Like it or not,- it's not wrong. Our constitution allows for this.

The United Kingdom doesn't even have a written constitution, as shown in this quote from the good people at the BBC...

In all but a handful of democracies in the world, the nation's constitution can be found in a single document. The exceptions are Israel, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.

Reply 22

There are over 1.5 billion Muslims in the world,- obviously not every single one is the same/thinks the same.

I know a white girl, even if it's just one, she's not a slag. Therefore, not ALL white girls are slags.

I agree with you pretty much, but sometimes I think you have to generalise, at least somewhat, as there usually are exceptions. If every white girl WAS a slag EXCEPT one, I still think it would be fair to say that white girls are slags. Just an example of course, there is obviously no given criteria, such as if the statement applies to more then 80% of the population/object in question then it is not generalising, do you get my point? I'm ill and tired and it's xmas so this has taken stupidly long to write and a lot of effort trying to word it in a comprehensible way, with little success >.<
Wait wait, you so actually want to say that all white girls are slags?

Can you say the opposite is true?

I've obviously defined slag already too,- to form my opinion/that sentence.

I'd say it's certain that not even a huge proportion of white girls are slags.

Just like not every black person carries a knife.

I want to say whatever is logically and reasonable.
And who says your definition of slag is correct? As a corrupted form of English it isn't exactly a solid word.
Just because I cannot say the opposite is true does not mean your statement is true.
Original post by vampygirl666
I want to say whatever is logically and reasonable.
And who says your definition of slag is correct? As a corrupted form of English it isn't exactly a solid word.
Just because I cannot say the opposite is true does not mean your statement is true.

Stop being so pedantic.
It's alkwardness.

Do you lack social skills?

Not every white girl is a slag, it is a fact, otherwise you're simply ignorant.

It's like saying every Muslim is a terrorist.
Original post by TheGrandmaster

The United Kingdom doesn't even have a written constitution, as shown in this quote from the good people at the BBC...

It still has a constitution with written sources,
YES WE DO HAVE A CONSTITUTION.

Oh look; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/88136.stm
Yes we do.

Want another 10000 links showing that we have one?

aha, you've negged this because I am right and you are wrong, sorry :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Congrats, you successfully made it to your moral high ground. :rolleyes:
Stop being so pedantic.
It's alkwardness.

Do you lack social skills?

Not every white girl is a slag, it is a fact, otherwise you're simply ignorant.

It's like saying every Muslim is a terrorist.

What do my social skills have to do with it?
And maybe being pedantic is good because if you were you might not have missed the blatantly obvious fact that I wasn't saying all White girls are slags. I was giving an arguement for it. Doesn't mean I support it.
And I know not every Muslim is a terrorist. Stop giving endless examples of stereotypes that everyone knows are not true. Not every being belonging to a particular group share all of the characteristics. We have established that.
It still has a constitution with written sources,
YES WE DO HAVE A CONSTITUTION.

Well, now you've written it in big writing you must be correct :rolleyes:
It is true that unlike almost every other nation on Earth the United Kingdom does not have a constitutional document. It could be argued that the United Kingdom has an 'unwritten constitution' but Professor Vernon Bogdanor of Oxford University dismisses this as a 'misleading platitude'.
If you choose to continue this debate by typing your argument in increasingly large fonts sizes I'm not going to continue entertain your simple brain by replying to you.

Goodnight and Happy Christmas.

EDIT:

aha, you've negged this because I am right and you are wrong, sorry :smile:

Lol, funnily enough that wasn't me :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
Congrats, you successfully made it to your moral high ground. :rolleyes:

It's where I wanted to be :')

No i'm joking, I just hate people who say silly things without thinking at the expense of others.
Maybe if three people saw this and realised it would be stupid to post about all Muslims being terrorists, the world would be a better place.

The UK does have a constitution, it's just uncodified.
Well, now you've written it in big writing you must be correct :rolleyes:
It is true that unlike almost every other nation on Earth the United Kingdom does not have a constitutional document. It could be argued that the United Kingdom has an 'unwritten constitution' but Professor Vernon Bogdanor of Oxford University dismisses this as a 'misleading platitude'.
If you choose to continue this debate by typing your argument in increasingly large fonts sizes I'm not going to continue entertain your simple brain by replying to you.

Goodnight and Happy Christmas.

Silly person, it's a fact we have a constitution,- find out what one is, and then come back to me.
I can prove it to you, as can every other person who is not as pedantic as you.

Yes, it's not written, but it still exists,- there are " a list of rules and customs which..."

Ohhhh just because an Oxford professor says something it has to be true...aha
So thank you, and goodnight.
Reply 32

Tbh, you can't claim any of those things as fact. It's all perception and based on your morals. Yours is not ours. This thread would have been a success had you not tried to put it across in such a manner.

should've left it at your opinion.

Having said that I do agree with the majority of what you wrote.
It's where I wanted to be :')

No i'm joking, I just hate people who say silly things without thinking at the expense of others.
Maybe if three people saw this and realised it would be stupid to post about all Muslims being terrorists, the world would be a better place.

The thing is, a lot of stereotypes hold some truth or they wouldn't be stereotypes. But you are right in pointing out that they don't apply to every person within that group, country, organisation, etc - but who is stupid enough to believe that anyway?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Yawn11
Tbh, you can't claim any of those things as fact. It's all perception and based on your morals. Yours is not ours. This thread would have been a success had you not tried to put it across in such a manner.

should've left it at your opinion.

Having said that I do agree with the majority of what you wrote.

I understand that, I did say somewhere that it's no void of fact, although in my opinion it is.
I can find facts to support what I wrote:

The welfare system was created to be by everyone for everyone,
There are X amount of Muslims in the world,
Terrorism pre-dates 9/11
The UK does have a constitution which through tradition and custom of Parliament, does allow for Coalitions to be formed.

I accept that everything I have written relies on definition and perception though.

I didn't mean it to be fact, or accurate, just getting things off my chest, but hoping to remain as factual and correct as possible.
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
The thing is, a lot of stereotypes hold some truth or they wouldn't be stereotypes. But you are right in pointing out that they don't apply to every person within that group, country, organisation, etc - but who is stupid enough to believe that anyway?

Many, many people.
It's just something I wanted to get off my chest, there are many people who believe that every Muslim is a terrorist,- someone even said that here, yesterday I believe.
Silly person, it's a fact we have a constitution,- find out what one is, and then come back to me.
I can prove it to you, as can every other person who is not as pedantic as you.

Yes, it's not written, but it still exists,- there are " a list of rules and customs which..."

Ohhhh just because an Oxford professor says something it has to be true...aha
So thank you, and goodnight.

Are you mentally deficient?
Original post by Young Pretender
Are you mentally deficient?

Are you?

It's annoying to see someone telling you you're wrong, in a smart-arse way, when it is so painful that they are wrong.

Citing some Oxford professor means nothing

That's not a collection of incontrovertible facts, more a collection of carefully chosen statements revealing a centre/liberal/moderate political view that roughly matches up with what the average UK A-level or university student believes.
Original post by James Gregory
That's not a collection of incontrovertible facts, more a collection of carefully chosen statements revealing a centre/liberal/moderate political view that roughly matches up with what the average UK A-level or university student believes.

Okay maybe I just agreed that, this was the case.
I'm sorry for thinking it to be fact, much is based on facts, granted.

Sorry for saying it was fact, I meant to post a thread of fact and created a very different one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending