The Student Room Group

Am I aro, ace, or both

So... I'm pretty sure I'm ace - i.e. I have zero desire to have sex 99% of the time. That one percent of the time nature prevails and I feel horny etc, but the idea of a p entering my v makes me wanna throw up. I have no doubt it'd probs be pleasurable, but again the idea of the act itself sickens me. I do like all the stuff leading up to it like touching and making out and all that stuff.
But the thing that makes me suspect I'm aro (or at least on the aro spectrum) is, I see no link between sex and love. I don't think I'd be upset if I had a partner who cheated and slept with someone else, nor that it'd be a big deal if I went and slept with someone else (putting aside my repulsion of the act itself). Like I don't see how a physical act can cause love. It's just weird.
I think I'd be more upset if my partner became distant from me or we stopped hanging out and grew apart, similarly, I think that if I became distant from my partner and started going to other guys more, maybe that'd constitute 'cheating' more.
tldr; I don't understand why doing the physical act with someone else is any different to say, going to the movies with someone else rather than your partner. Like why is sex this big emotional thing? What would hurt me is them distancing from me or keeping secrets or us longer being close or confidantes or something like that.

Really needed to get this off my chest bc I never have been able to express this stuff to anyone in my life - they'd prob think I'm crazy or weird since everyone I've ever met feels precisely the opposite to everything I've just said on the topic

Thoughts?
Hiya! Aspec lesbian here!

From what you’re describing, that sounds pretty ace to me:smile: one thing to consider, though: is it just p and v that repulses you? or is v and v the same? I only mention it because that’s something I got hung up on for a long time haha!! The disconnect between sex and intimacy does read as very ace though, so I’m fairly certain you’re on the right lines:smile:)

From your descriptions I also think you’re unlikely to be aro because you’re fine with making out and emotional closeness etc etc, but that’s always harder to tell. It depends where you draw the line between platonic and romantic bonds, I guess!

that makes you (possibly) alloromantic and asexual! yippee!!

Not every aspec experience is the same, and I definitely don’t speak for every aspec person I know. I’m not even sex-repulsed! There’s variety! If you look at the term asexual and think “huh, that explains a lot”, 9/10 you’re probably correct:smile:

Welcome to the team!!! 💜
Reply 2
Original post by furtherfrommaths
Hiya! Aspec lesbian here!

From what you’re describing, that sounds pretty ace to me:smile: one thing to consider, though: is it just p and v that repulses you? or is v and v the same? I only mention it because that’s something I got hung up on for a long time haha!! The disconnect between sex and intimacy does read as very ace though, so I’m fairly certain you’re on the right lines:smile:)

From your descriptions I also think you’re unlikely to be aro because you’re fine with making out and emotional closeness etc etc, but that’s always harder to tell. It depends where you draw the line between platonic and romantic bonds, I guess!

that makes you (possibly) alloromantic and asexual! yippee!!

Not every aspec experience is the same, and I definitely don’t speak for every aspec person I know. I’m not even sex-repulsed! There’s variety! If you look at the term asexual and think “huh, that explains a lot”, 9/10 you’re probably correct:smile:

Welcome to the team!!! 💜

Thank you for that <3 It is all so, so confusing, and there's alot of issues mixed in there bc of my childhood and certain experiences that it's all become quite a confusion soup! I'll def have to talk about this with a professional.

I think it's just generally part of any like... interaction? LOL probs the wrong word, but let's say interaction between genitalia (like someone else's and mine). like I say, the act repulses me, and I think it's in any way that it occurs if u get me.
The other thing is, I don't really like the idea of romantic feelings tbh, it feels too forced for me. idk if i'm capable of feeling them. For me, I think a relationship would look most like basically having a close friend with flirty elements ig? I'd care for them the exact same way I care for my close friends, and would not give them any more than what I'd give close friends. Like the emotional closeness to my partner would be nearly identical to what I'd have with my close friends, only difference being this person is an attractive male who I make out with ig. But then I wouldn't be against doing the same with other guys too, so is this even a partner? Lol I'm so confused about what my boundaries are and if a partner is still a partner within my definition.
I'm quite certain I'm hetero though, because I've only ever found guys attractive. I will think other girls are really pretty, but like not in a way that I'm attracted to them.

So I'm not aro? the reason I thought I am is I struggle to understand the link between sex and love/relationships. Like why is it 'something that couples do' (by and large) and why is it an 'important' element in relationships? Why do couples need to have sex to connect? I just don't get it. Like why can't anyone have sex with anyone and still with their partner if they want and it be normal or just not have sex if they want that? I don't quite understand why it's 'special' between a couple or the jealousy around doing it with others (I'd understand the jealousy if it was like your partner is doing it only with others and not you but bar that I don't see why it's any different to, say, going to the movies or idk like doing drugs lol, with someone else). Then again, I'm probs just not a jealous person. The only way I'd be upset is if my partner was icing me out or blowing me off keeping secrets from only me (like opening up to everyone but me) and stuff like that (which is also the same stuff I'd be upset by from friends so...)
Original post by Anonymous #1

Thank you for that <3 It is all so, so confusing, and there's alot of issues mixed in there bc of my childhood and certain experiences that it's all become quite a confusion soup! I'll def have to talk about this with a professional.

I think it's just generally part of any like... interaction? LOL probs the wrong word, but let's say interaction between genitalia (like someone else's and mine). like I say, the act repulses me, and I think it's in any way that it occurs if u get me.
The other thing is, I don't really like the idea of romantic feelings tbh, it feels too forced for me. idk if i'm capable of feeling them. For me, I think a relationship would look most like basically having a close friend with flirty elements ig? I'd care for them the exact same way I care for my close friends, and would not give them any more than what I'd give close friends. Like the emotional closeness to my partner would be nearly identical to what I'd have with my close friends, only difference being this person is an attractive male who I make out with ig. But then I wouldn't be against doing the same with other guys too, so is this even a partner? Lol I'm so confused about what my boundaries are and if a partner is still a partner within my definition.
I'm quite certain I'm hetero though, because I've only ever found guys attractive. I will think other girls are really pretty, but like not in a way that I'm attracted to them.

So I'm not aro? the reason I thought I am is I struggle to understand the link between sex and love/relationships. Like why is it 'something that couples do' (by and large) and why is it an 'important' element in relationships? Why do couples need to have sex to connect? I just don't get it. Like why can't anyone have sex with anyone and still with their partner if they want and it be normal or just not have sex if they want that? I don't quite understand why it's 'special' between a couple or the jealousy around doing it with others (I'd understand the jealousy if it was like your partner is doing it only with others and not you but bar that I don't see why it's any different to, say, going to the movies or idk like doing drugs lol, with someone else). Then again, I'm probs just not a jealous person. The only way I'd be upset is if my partner was icing me out or blowing me off keeping secrets from only me (like opening up to everyone but me) and stuff like that (which is also the same stuff I'd be upset by from friends so...)

Ahh oops! based on what you said here, yeah that does sound a lot more aro actually 😅 sorry if that was confusing haha! aroace it is 💜 I hope this was helpful to you; putting it all in words really puts things into perspective. I hope you can find people in your area to bond over this with, or at least some friends online:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by furtherfrommaths
Ahh oops! based on what you said here, yeah that does sound a lot more aro actually 😅 sorry if that was confusing haha! aroace it is 💜 I hope this was helpful to you; putting it all in words really puts things into perspective. I hope you can find people in your area to bond over this with, or at least some friends online:smile:

well tbh I'm open to any opinions, because I barely understand it myself and it gets so confusing in my head. idkkkk it's genuinely shifted back and forth over the years. It has been helpful to just get it all out, esp because I don't think I could talk to anyone in my life about it, like my friends have mostly lost their Vs and some still are going to, and they all describe sex as like this awesome thing and I just feel gross tbhh, so I don't think I can explain it to them. I also can't say out loud that I don't feel a problem in like sleeping with others bc I don't connect sex to relationships bc everyone around me does. It's uggggh just weird, like I can't wait to be able to afford a therapist one day so I can understand all this. I'd defo love to connect with more aros/aces online.
Reply 5
@CatusStarbright I saw your thread (not sure if it's still active), and was hoping maybe you could weigh in on this? I kind of need a few diff points of view from people who know about these topics since I'm quite confused. I'm sorry for tagging you if you are too busy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending