The Student Room Group

maths and economics courses

I'm currently in year 12 and I want to do a degree in maths and economics/maths at the following universities:

Oxford
Imperial
UCl
UECL

what do I have to do to get there?
At oxford there's a MAT and they' encourage students to take what mathematical extension is available to then (e.g. STEP/AEA)' so should I do the STEP exam?
Reply 1
Original post by Banana's Girl
I'm currently in year 12 and I want to do a degree in maths and economics/maths at the following universities:

Oxford
Imperial
UCl
UECL

what do I have to do to get there?
At oxford there's a MAT and they' encourage students to take what mathematical extension is available to then (e.g. STEP/AEA)' so should I do the STEP exam?

STEP and AEA aren't required by Oxford. Imperial have asked some people to do it this year but not everyone. Wouldnt hurt but STEP, especially, is very difficult so unless you're certain you can do so well I would consider aiming lower.

Also what the **** is UECL supposed to be? I know a lot of uni abbreviations but I don't know what that is.

You should think about Warwick, Bath and Bristol too. You also need to be confident that you'll be able to achieve at least A*AA and a further maths A level wouldn't hurt either.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by alexs2602
STEP and AEA aren't required by Oxford. Imperial have asked some people to do it this year but not everyone. Wouldnt hurt but STEP, especially, is very difficult so unless you're certain you can do so well I would consider aiming lower.

Also what the **** is UECL supposed to be? I know a lot of uni abbreviations but I don't know what that is.

You should think about Warwick, Bath and Bristol too. You also need to be confident that you'll be able to achieve at least A*AA and a further maths A level wouldn't hurt either.

okay thanks :smile:
sorry I meant LSE
How many am I allowed to apply to? And I'm doing further maths :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Banana's Girl
okay thanks :smile:
sorry I meant LSE
How many am I allowed to apply to? And I'm doing further maths :smile:

You seem to be centred around London which is both good and bad. London does have some great unis BUT unless you're a top top student it's difficult to get in, not forgetting there are some great alternatives outside of London that are better than your current choices.

You will have 5 choices. Considering you're looking to do maths AND econ I would suggest Warwick, LSE, Oxford/Cambridge and two more. LSE and Warwick are excellent for econ, Warwick is excellent for maths, I'm not certain how good LSE is for maths but it's likely to be reasonably good. Perhaps consider Nottingham as they are pretty strong for maths and econ too. UCL would be a good choice too I suppose....(it seems your choices were pretty good to start with but consider these other ones too, I don't know if they offer your combinations or not but they do have strong departments for both parts of your course). Durham, Bristol, Bath, Exeter.

Excellent, FM will help you in a number of ways. Doing further maths tends to lower the typical offer you're likely to receive on application and will be loved for both parts of your course - econ depts like maths and further maths as do maths depts.

NB: Aim realistically. These suggestions are the best of the best and if you can't achieve the typical offers you could be in a lot of trouble

Do some research into offers given for your course and which unis offer it from those I've suggested before you decide to do STEP/AEA - I know some of my suggestions ask for STEP/AEA for maths but not sure about whether they want it for the combination

PS: Apps for Oxford have a deadline of October 15th so you need to be prepared.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest