The Student Room Group

Help - Stuck on A Level Choices. Physics Maths Economics and/or Biology

So my predicted grade for all the subjects I’ll mention is an 8.
Currently, I’ve put Physics, Maths and Economics down for my choices. However, I’m aware that I can change this on enrolment and rly don’t know what to do. I love biology and would love to do it more than economics, however I can’t see myself in a biology career (don’t want to go into medicine) but I guess I can see myself In an economics career more easily. Btw I did gcse economics. That’s also not to say I don’t like economics, I just enjoy studying biology more.
I have no idea what degree I want to do (I know that I wouldn’t do a Mathematics degree though)

So do I do physics maths economics or change to physics maths biology. Or even maybe a fourth? But idk about that.

Thoughts?
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by f10145
Currently, I’ve put Physics, Maths and Economics down for my choices. However, I’m aware that I can change this on enrolment and rly don’t know what to do. I love biology and would love to do it more than economics, however I can’t see myself in a biology career (don’t want to go into medicine) but I guess I can see myself In an economics career more easily. Btw I did gcse economics. That’s also not to say I don’t like economics, I just enjoy studying biology more.
So do I do physics maths economics or change to physics maths biology. Or even maybe a fourth? But idk about that.

Thoughts?

What might you study at uni?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
What might you study at uni?

Tbh I’ve got no idea lol sorry ik that doesn’t help
Original post by f10145

Thoughts?

Assuming you want to study economics at university, for most of them, the only A level entry requirements is maths, as economics at university is very maths intensive. There's no entry requirement that specifies that you must do economics at A level. Hence, you could probably do biology at A level if you really like it, as it'll give you the flexibility to study a biology-related degree at university if you change your mind. Here, biology will be an A level entry requirement. You're not really missing anything by not studying econ at A level, especially considering you've done it at GCSE. Just bear two things in mind - if you do economics at uni, the entry requirements at some elite unis may require you to take further maths too, and some also prefer a humanities related subject as part of your A levels (such as econ or history).
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SquidTheMaster
Assuming you want to study economics at university, for most of them, the only A level entry requirements is maths, as economics at university is very maths intensive. There's no entry requirement that specifies that you must do economics at A level. Hence, you could probably do biology at A level if you really like it, as it'll give you the flexibility to study a biology-related degree at university if you change your mind. Here, biology will be an A level entry requirement. You're not really missing anything by not studying econ at A level, especially considering you've done it at GCSE. Just bear two things in mind - if you do economics at uni, the entry requirements at some elite unis may require you to take further maths too, and some also prefer a humanities related subject as part of your A levels (such as econ or history).

Firstly thanks for the advice. But secondly, say I wanted to go to Oxbridge or LSE for economics, would the students who had done a level economics be far more likely to be awarded a place? Also I don’t want to do economics for my degree, not as in I wouldn’t do it but I just have no idea what degree I want to do.
Original post by f10145
Firstly thanks for the advice. But secondly, say I wanted to go to Oxbridge or LSE for economics, would the students who had done a level economics be far more likely to be awarded a place? Also I don’t want to do economics for my degree, not as in I wouldn’t do it but I just have no idea what degree I want to do.

You won't be discriminated against for not doing A level economics. For economics and economics related degrees, the only entry requirement those two usually have is an A* in A level maths and certain other grades. Though I will say doing economics at A level may help you write your personal statement, and a humanities subject is usually a requirement/preferred for Oxbridge, but I'm not completely sure. It's best you have a look at uni courses for subjects you're interested in (such as economics) on their websites, read the modules and see if they're topics you'd be interested in studying, which might help you choose what you want to do. Importantly, pay attention to the entry requirements the courses have - you'll find these on the course page and they will provide clarity as to the subjects you need to take/should/could consider taking.
Reply 6
You won't be discriminated against for not doing A level economics. For economics and economics related degrees, the only entry requirement those two usually have is an A* in A level maths and certain other grades. Though I will say doing economics at A level may help you write your personal statement, and a humanities subject is usually a requirement/preferred for Oxbridge, but I'm not completely sure. It's best you have a look at uni courses for subjects you're interested in (such as economics) on their websites, read the modules and see if they're topics you'd be interested in studying, which might help you choose what you want to do. Importantly, pay attention to the entry requirements the courses have - you'll find these on the course page and they will provide clarity as to the subjects you need to take/should/could consider taking.

Ok thank you. Also, I’ve been looking at degrees/careers in space as I’ve always been passionate in that since I was v young (maybe like Astro engineering - which would mean I study aeronautical engineering/normal engineering at uni). In that case, what would you recommend? Also would it still be good to have a humanities in engineering/physics at uni? As in like would doing bio or economics be better when applying to those degrees?
Thanks
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by f10145
Ok thank you. Also, I’ve been looking at degrees/careers in space as I’ve always been passionate in that since I was v young (maybe like Astro engineering - which would mean I study aeronautical engineering/normal engineering at uni). In that case, what would you recommend?

For those courses, I think the only thing that would matter is taking maths and physics at A level. You might need to take further maths too, but it's best you look at courses on uni websites as I mentioned earlier to clarify. Generally maths and physics would open up a lot of pathways for uni.
Reply 8
For those courses, I think the only thing that would matter is taking maths and physics at A level. You might need to take further maths too, but it's best you look at courses on uni websites as I mentioned earlier to clarify. Generally maths and physics would open up a lot of pathways for uni.

Cool thanks for the help.
Reply 9
Original post by f10145
Ok thank you. Also, I’ve been looking at degrees/careers in space as I’ve always been passionate in that since I was v young (maybe like Astro engineering - which would mean I study aeronautical engineering/normal engineering at uni). In that case, what would you recommend? Also would it still be good to have a humanities in engineering/physics at uni? As in like would doing bio or economics be better when applying to those degrees?
Thanks

Hey! For my case I did maths, bio, chem and got into aerospace engineering Meng at all my choices. Therefore, they more more about your final grades, and the fact you did maths and physics. I wanted to do dentistry at start and was afraid this change won't be favourable as I didn't do physics. However, the likes of Bristol, Sheffield, Leeds etc require maths and a either chemistry or physics.
Reply 10
Original post by Ajdj12
Hey! For my case I did maths, bio, chem and got into aerospace engineering Meng at all my choices. Therefore, they more more about your final grades, and the fact you did maths and physics. I wanted to do dentistry at start and was afraid this change won't be favourable as I didn't do physics. However, the likes of Bristol, Sheffield, Leeds etc require maths and a either chemistry or physics.

Ok cool, thank you.
Reply 11
Original post by f10145
I have no idea what degree I want to do (I know that I wouldn’t do a Mathematics degree though)

Thoughts?

Boost
i would do biology maths economics
i’ve just seen that you also like space. Biology, aeronautial engineering and econ are very different degrees. PLEASE DO MORE RESEARCH. But, if you still like all of them you’re going to have to study physics, maths and biology or take 4 by adding economics (i would recommend you doing more research tho).
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by lanky_giraffe
i would do biology maths economics

Physics is the only one I’m definite on, and then so is maths because you have to take both
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 15
i’ve just seen that you also like space. Biology, aeronautial engineering and econ are very different degrees. PLEASE DO MORE RESEARCH. But, if you still like all of them you’re going to have to study physics, maths and biology or take 4 by adding economics (i would recommend you doing more research tho).

Ok thank you, will do more research. Also just checking, your recommendation is do physics maths bio if I want to do 3?
Reply 16

Also do more research into what? The degrees or like careers or the a levels etc? I’m not sure where I haven’t researched enough lol sorry
Original post by f10145
Ok thank you, will do more research. Also just checking, your recommendation is do physics maths bio if I want to do 3?

yes
Original post by f10145
Also do more research into what? The degrees or like careers or the a levels etc? I’m not sure where I haven’t researched enough lol sorry

the degrees and careers
Reply 19
the degrees and careers

Ok cool, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest