The Student Room Group

University advice ?? Maybe ?

So I've already applied for university I was sure I wanted to study marketing along side either management or business ,if even the opportunity I would study it along side economics as I'm not too fond about studying management and economics is alot more interesting.
I'm not an mathematical genius, I did get a grade 5 in gcse maths which was the highest grade I achieve doing the foundation paper. While I know economics does not guarantee successs, I am very interested in alot of the modules I'm just scared I'm not smart enough so I didn't apply. But I'm very interested in marketing and the careers. I admit alot of the business degrees modules interest me mainly business of the economics modules even if they are more aimed towards econmics in business.

I haven't seen that much about business economics degrees or what sort if jobs I can get from doing one.

I know currently have 13 days to change my choices or alternative them so any advice would be amazing.

I have currently applied for marketing and business and marketing and management, at university of essex ,university of Kent, University of Hertfordshire and the University of east anglia.
Reply 1
If you feel you’d prefer doing economics then do that because even if it’s harder, you will enjoy it more which will make it easier for you to study for and etc. Also it sounds like you are smart enough. I really don’t know much about these subjects but that’s the approach I would have!
Reply 2
Hey!

Economics, particularly at university, can be relatively maths heavy/ focused. So I would be a little apprehensive if you were to apply for Economics and not have a sturdy foundation of maths skill. I'm afraid I'm less knowledgable on the business management/ marketing, etc side of courses, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Hopefully all will turn out well. All the best!
Original post by Rose_99
So I've already applied for university I was sure I wanted to study marketing along side either management or business ,if even the opportunity I would study it along side economics as I'm not too fond about studying management and economics is alot more interesting.
I'm not an mathematical genius, I did get a grade 5 in gcse maths which was the highest grade I achieve doing the foundation paper. While I know economics does not guarantee successs, I am very interested in alot of the modules I'm just scared I'm not smart enough so I didn't apply. But I'm very interested in marketing and the careers. I admit alot of the business degrees modules interest me mainly business of the economics modules even if they are more aimed towards econmics in business.

I haven't seen that much about business economics degrees or what sort if jobs I can get from doing one.

I know currently have 13 days to change my choices or alternative them so any advice would be amazing.

I have currently applied for marketing and business and marketing and management, at university of essex ,university of Kent, University of Hertfordshire and the University of east anglia.

Hiya @Rose_99 !🤩
At Essex we offer a Business Economics degree where you will have marketing modules through the hole duration of your degree as well as given the opportunity to study abroad or to take a placement year between your second and third year of your studies🎓🌍.

Have a look a the structure of the course here: BA Business Economics - Business Economics Degree | University of Essex

Independently of the degree you choose at Essex you are given the opportunity to choose modules from other departments which helps to complement your studies.📈📚

When I first started my degree at Essex I did business economics which means my degree belongs to the economics department so I will have the main modules all economics students have and also will have the opportunity to study all main modules the business students have.
At the end of my first year I decided to change just to economics degree because I really enjoyed the maths, but if I would have stayed in business economics degree I would be given the opportunity to enrich my knowledge on a series of marketing, management and business modules and still having the ability to have the maths of an economics degree.

With economics modules you can choose some that are more essay based and others heavily maths based so it really depends on your personal preference.
You also have to consider if you want to do an BA witch is less maths or a BSc witch is more maths heavy.
So when looking at degrees consider if is a BA (less maths) or BSc ( maths based) and also have a look at all the modules you can choose from bought departments taking into consideration if you have BSc degree there is mathematical modules you are required to pass otherwise your degree will change to BA.

I hope this help your decision.
If you have any questions don't hesitate in contacting me.

Essex Official Rep- Cat 😉
Original post by Rose_99

Just to add that if you swap any choices via Hub then those will now be flagged as late. This means those courses may be closed to applications or consider you less favourably than 'on-time' apps.

If you are just wanting to change course at one of your existing choices, then you can do that directly by contacting the uni. That kind of change won't affect your application being flagged as on-time or not.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Just to add that if you swap any choices via Hub then those will now be flagged as late. This means those courses may be closed to applications or consider you less favourably than 'on-time' apps.

If you are just wanting to change course at one of your existing choices, then you can do that directly by contacting the uni. That kind of change won't affect your application being flagged as on-time or not.

If I add one course will it flag every course I've applied to as late.
Reply 6
I also wanted to add that when I applied for one of my courses without a placement year but I wanted the placement but it didn't come up as an option on ucas even though its an option on the university website , would this still be a late application
Original post by Rose_99
If I add one course will it flag every course I've applied to as late.

I would check this with UCAS before making any swaps.

Original post by Rose_99
I also wanted to add that when I applied for one of my courses without a placement year but I wanted the placement but it didn't come up as an option on ucas even though its an option on the university website , would this still be a late application

If it's the same course code with and without a placement then it shouldn't make any difference. That kind of swap would jut be done internally at the uni, so wouldn't affect whether it was flagged on-time or not.
Reply 8
Thanks .

I've got in touch with ucas it only affects swapped courses or added courses but I need to speak to University first and the university of Hertfordshire is so hard to get into touch with
Original post by Rose_99

Hi @Rose_99,
Great to hear you've applied to us here at Herts 🙂
Have you looked at the course pages on our website? You'll find some useful info about possible roles of employment for each of the different courses, as well as examples of what our recent graduates have gone on to do. You'll also find detailed descriptions of the module content, so I'd urge you to read through the course pages carefully to see exactly what each course will cover.
In terms of entry requirements, our BSc Business Economics and BA Business and Marketing degrees ask for the same 112-120 UCAS points, so you don't need to worry about not being 'smart enough' for the economics. Our BSc Economics does have a higher entry tariff of 128-136 however.
Hope this helps with your decision-making, but please feel free to ask any other questions you might have once you have read through the relevant course pages.
Wishing you all the best!
Gaynor
Marketing and Communications Team
Reply 10
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi @Rose_99,
Great to hear you've applied to us here at Herts 🙂
Have you looked at the course pages on our website? You'll find some useful info about possible roles of employment for each of the different courses, as well as examples of what our recent graduates have gone on to do. You'll also find detailed descriptions of the module content, so I'd urge you to read through the course pages carefully to see exactly what each course will cover.
In terms of entry requirements, our BSc Business Economics and BA Business and Marketing degrees ask for the same 112-120 UCAS points, so you don't need to worry about not being 'smart enough' for the economics. Our BSc Economics does have a higher entry tariff of 128-136 however.
Hope this helps with your decision-making, but please feel free to ask any other questions you might have once you have read through the relevant course pages.
Wishing you all the best!
Gaynor
Marketing and Communications Team

Thank you . I'm also interested in fashion at ma level does Hertfordshire offer any fashion courses at ma
Original post by Rose_99
Thank you . I'm also interested in fashion at ma level does Hertfordshire offer any fashion courses at ma

Hi @Rose_99,
We don't offer fashion courses any longer I'm afraid. Do take a look at our art and design postgraduate courses in case there is another area of interest.
Thanks,
Gaynor

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending