The Student Room Group

Quick help - Trigonometric equations:

How do you solve trigonometic equations such as secØ=3 where 0<Ø<2pi

I know you use the trigonometric functions where you do the inverse of cos(1/3)
But how do you find out the other value without drawing a graph?
How do you know if you have to take it away from 2pi or just pi, or add it to pi to get the other value? :\
Reply 1
Well secθ=3\sec \theta = 3 if and only if cosθ=13\cos \theta = \dfrac{1}{3}, so the set of values of θ\theta in the range 0θ2π0 \le \theta \le 2\pi which satisfy the equation is the same in both cases. So you don't need to worry about adding, subtracting, etc... you can just solve the cosine equation.

For what it's worth, though, the same rules apply for sec as for cos. For example cos(θ)=cosθ    1cos(θ)=1cosθ\cos (-\theta) = \cos \theta \implies \dfrac{1}{\cos (-\theta)} = \dfrac{1}{\cos \theta}, and so sec(θ)=secθ\sec (-\theta) = \sec \theta. Similarly, sec(θ+π)=secθ\sec (\theta + \pi) = -\sec \theta... and so on.
(edited 13 years ago)
You can always sketch out a little graph in the margin or somewhere if it helps you, I do that sometimes
Reply 3
Original post by nuodai
Well secθ=3\sec \theta = 3 if and only if cosθ=13\cos \theta = \dfrac{1}{3}, so the set of values of θ\theta in the range 0θ2π0 \le \theta \le 2\pi which satisfy the equation is the same in both cases. So you don't need to worry about adding, subtracting, etc... you can just solve the cosine equation.

For what it's worth, though, the same rules apply for sec as for cos. For example cos(θ)=cosθ    1cos(θ)=1cosθ\cos (-\theta) = \cos \theta \implies \dfrac{1}{\cos (-\theta)} = \dfrac{1}{\cos \theta}, and so sec(θ)=secθ\sec (-\theta) = \sec \theta. Similarly, sec(θ+π)=secθ\sec (\theta + \pi) = -\sec \theta... and so on.

Is it the same when its cot too?
Reply 4
Original post by Nkhan
Is it the same when its cot too?

Yes, except you have to use the rules for tan\tan.
Reply 5
Original post by nuodai
Yes, except you have to use the rules for tan\tan.

Yeap :smile: I get it now cheers
Im just gonna use that trig quadrant thing to work em all out

Quick Reply

Latest