The Student Room Group

Quick biology question

is protein synthesised in ribosomes or rer

Scroll to see replies

proteins are synthesised by ribosomes, but these can be attached to the RER
so if asked where protein is synthesised saying RER wouldn't be wrong?
Original post by jonnyboy1993
proteins are synthesised by ribosomes, but these can be attached to the RER
Yes it would be wrong, just like saying protein is synthesised in the cell :lol: It's the ribosomes my friend.
Original post by Flying Cookie
Yes it would be wrong, just like saying protein is synthesised in the cell :lol: It's the ribosomes my friend.

So what the hell does RER do.
Reply 5
I think the RER concentrates and modifies the proteins.
Original post by jaheen22
I think the RER concentrates and modifies the proteins.

Isn't that what the Golgi apparatus does.
Reply 7
Original post by The Smeezington
Isn't that what the Golgi apparatus does.

Possibly :confused: Biology wouldn't be my strongest subject!
So what the hell does RER do.

The RER provides a large surface area for all the synthesising reactions to take place... and probably some other things :lol:
Reply 9
Ribosomes are responsible for protein synthesis and the Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum contains ribsomes and its role is to process proteins that have been made at the ribosomes.
Reply 10
The way i understand the basics of it all is that the ribosomes on the membrane of the RER make the proteins and pass them into the RER, the RER processes the proteins and folds them into their required shape and them secrete them, using their membranes to create a bubble around the protein, i.e. a vesicle. The vesicles are then transported to to the golgi apparatus where bits and bobs get added to the protein (e.g. carbs, other proteins and inorganic molecules).

Ribosomes - make proteins
RER - Folds proteins
Golgi apparatus - adds to proteins
Original post by jimmy303
The way i understand the basics of it all is that the ribosomes on the membrane of the RER make the proteins and pass them into the RER, the RER processes the proteins and folds them into their required shape and them secrete them, using their membranes to create a bubble around the protein, i.e. a vesicle. The vesicles are then transported to to the golgi apparatus where bits and bobs get added to the protein (e.g. carbs, other proteins and inorganic molecules).

Ribosomes - make proteins
RER - Folds proteins
Golgi apparatus - adds to proteins

How do the free ribosomes get folded?
is protein synthesised in ribosomes or rer

I'm glad you did this question, I would have went strolling into the exam think it is the RER :biggrin:
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
I'm glad you did this question, I would have went strolling into the exam think it is the RER :biggrin:

You're welcome.
Reply 14
Ribosomes are sites of protein synthesis (they are either free in the cytoplasm or are attached to the endoplasmic reticulum)

Rough endoplasmic reticulum contains ribosomes on its surface and the rough endoplasmic reticulum synthesises and transports materials (which can be proteins and glycoproteins etc)
Reply 15

I think it is dependant on the sequence of amino acids
not sure though
Original post by me007

I think it is dependant on the sequence of amino acids
not sure though

So would ribosomes which are free make proteins for the actual cell itself but the ones on the RER make proteins to be used elsewhere.
Reply 17
So would ribosomes which are free make proteins for the actual cell itself but the ones on the RER make proteins to be used elsewhere.

Pretty much. Ribosomes are the site of protein synthesis. If a protein needs to be secreted from the cell, then a signal sequence in the protein causes the ribosome to move to the RER. The protein enters the RER, is modified and passed on to the Golgi for secretion.
Original post by BioSam
Pretty much. Ribosomes are the site of protein synthesis. If a protein needs to be secreted from the cell, then a signal sequence in the protein causes the ribosome to move to the RER. The protein enters the RER, is modified and passed on to the Golgi for secretion.

Thanks. It all makes sense now.
Proteins are synthesised on/in the ribosomes. These always start off free and remain free for proteins to be used inside the cell. If they are for proteins to be released, then they will immediately/very soon bind to the RER.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending