The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aliluvschoc
I'm out of rep, but the Desire gets my vote.

oh ok then ill wait till u get rep lol :tongue:
Reply 3021
Original post by blueray
HTC or galaxys ? Which one?
I reckon desire ? Thumbs up if you agree or down (ouch my rep)

having had both the desire and the galaxy s now, i much prefer the galaxy s.

much larger 4" screen, despite being a similar size phone to hold

super amoled screen - the best screen on any phone in the world, images pop out at you, true blacks, no sunlight glare

faster processor, and most powerful graphics chip on any phone in the world

front facing camera, much better speaker, better rear facing camera

thinner.

The only thing better on the desire is the customised skin out of the box, however you can easily customize the galaxy s so its user interface looks the same as the desire, with the same type of widgets..

here is my desire and my old iphone4 (which i found was not as good)

One bad thing is their is no flash light on galaxy s is there??
Reply 3023
Nope, that can be a deal clincher for some. For me personally, i found the camera on the HTC Desire so awful that i just stopped taking pictures whenever i went out, and even in restaurants using the LED Flash, it made close up shots of faces look haunted lol. With the galaxy s, yes there is no flash, but the camera lense is significantly larger, with a larger low light sensor and a night shot option, that means in dimly lit restaurant shots, a photo actually comes out better on the galaxy s with no flash than a blurry haunted ghost pic of the desire.

The desire camera is OK in bright outdoor light tho. Its just we live in the UK, which means its rare ha
I was planning to get the Orange San Francisco - loved the spec it had for its price as well as the fact that it had android OS.
But I have now found out that Orange stopped making it with an AMOLED screen and now use a WVGA TFT one instead - and judging by reviews of the phone the AMOLED was a real plus point.

Is is still worth buying the phone (~£120 incl. topup) if it has the TFT screen instead?
Are there any other close alternatives to the Orange SF? (PAYG or 18month contract)

Does anybody know if a new orange SF will be coming out soon with a better screen?
Despite what widgets you get you can't mimmick sense, out really is more than just a clock.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3026
Sense in real terms is just a series of widgets (all of which similar ones are available on the android market), as well as the sense background. There really isnt anything else in terms of every day use, other than some select hidden options within the menus.. of which there are similar hidden select options on samsungs touchwizz UI.

Ohh.. the only other thing is the HTC keyboard, which again is easily loaded as an app to any phone.

the only other adition with sense than what is stated above is the facebook matching integration and smart dialer.. both things the samsung galaxy s has too anyway. Infact, i persnonally prefer the samsung UI colours and transitions as the dark theme looks more cleaner, and modern. Sense looks a little toy like and hasnt changed in look from my htc hero. it feels dated in "look" to me.
My HTC Desire is being delivered tomorrow. :dance:

I read that you can get FF7 on some Android phones, does it work on the Desire and if so, how would I do it?

Plus could you recommend me any apps to start off with?

did you get the £15 a month one?
if yes, can you give me the website, i might also get a desire.
How much is the san franciso?
Original post by blueray
How much is the san franciso?

Standard price is £99 plus £10 top-up from Orange and various other etailers. You can find it a little cheaper if you look around (check out Hot UK deals).

I got mine from Orange a few weeks back for £109 minus £12 quidco cashback (and yes it's AMOLED :biggrin: )
(edited 13 years ago)
Why dont people get a bigger branded phone for that much ?
Original post by markuk99
I actually dont have the HTC Desire anymore, I have the samsung galaxy S,

if you look at this clip you can see when the app drawer is clicked, the scrolling of apps is super smooth, and much more swish/modern than the static grid list of the iphone4

That personally looks interesting. The style of it. I like that.
Original post by blueray
Why dont people get a bigger branded phone for that much ?

which ones would you suggest for that price? Also bear in mind the specs for the Orange San Fran for £100, it certainly seems like a good deal. Can you recommend anything else?
Original post by Cravez
did you get the £15 a month one?
if yes, can you give me the website, i might also get a desire.

Yes. It's the best deal out there, there was a similar one on Orange you might have seen if you look on any price comparison websites, but the deal is completely sold out. :sigh:

Here's the T-mobile deal
I hate the fact it's white though, so I'm getting a skin made from here.
Reply 3035
x

You use Darky's ROM too? :wink2: Someone made a tutorial on how to cook your own ROM on XDA, looks sweet...am gonna try it if I get some free time :awesome:

Original post by MikeeyMon
That personally looks interesting. The style of it. I like that.

You want to see that ROM fully in action and use it, it's actually jizz worthy :sogood:
Guys, what size MicroSD Card do you recommend I buy for the Desire?

Guys, what size MicroSD Card do you recommend I buy for the Desire?

16GB is about the largest you can get cheaply. 32GBs are available but they are above £60 so I'd say get a 16 for now

Sense in real terms is just a series of widgets (all of which similar ones are available on the android market), as well as the sense background. There really isnt anything else in terms of every day use, other than some select hidden options within the menus.. of which there are similar hidden select options on samsungs touchwizz UI.

Ohh.. the only other thing is the HTC keyboard, which again is easily loaded as an app to any phone.

the only other adition with sense than what is stated above is the facebook matching integration and smart dialer.. both things the samsung galaxy s has too anyway. Infact, i persnonally prefer the samsung UI colours and transitions as the dark theme looks more cleaner, and modern. Sense looks a little toy like and hasnt changed in look from my htc hero. it feels dated in "look" to me.
It really is much more than that, I'm not sure how sense was on the Desire but after seeing all the wigdets use to replicate it I can say they don't even come close. But things like the notification bar having your last 15 apps, a great keyboard, being able to personalise the phone with a straight forward menu. As bad as this sounds but it's the cleanest and most user friendly UI, after using the nexus S I don't think it beats it. Most people on Xda seem to use custom rom which are basically clean Sense Roms, if the mod community feel the UI is great enough to have to flash CM or other ROMs then that says a lot. Obviously this is personal experience, some people can't stand sense.
Original post by wizard710
16GB is about the largest you can get cheaply. 32GBs are available but they are above £60 so I'd say get a 16 for now

Would I need class 6? Or is lower ok?

Latest

Trending

Trending