The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3060
Original post by Stacks
I'd recommend any of the HTC top end phones. Purely because HTC seems to 'know' how Android should work.

All of my experiences with Sony and Samsung Android phones have been quite choppy D:

The Nexus S does have some pretty nifty features though which'll probably become standard on most phones within the next year. :rolleyes:

Go back a couple of pages and have a look at the Samsung Galaxy S with a custom ROM installed...it's so smooth.
Reply 3061
Original post by bigmo7
Go back a couple of pages and have a look at the Samsung Galaxy S with a custom ROM installed...it's so smooth.

Oooh, that is pretty impressive!

I'd probably give Samsung a decent chance for my next phone now :tongue:

Damn two year contract ... :banghead:
Reply 3062
Original post by Stacks
Oooh, that is pretty impressive!

I'd probably give Samsung a decent chance for my next phone now :tongue:

Damn two year contract ... :banghead:

The problem with the Galaxy S is the proprietary rfs filesystem used for the /data partition, it's just terrible. You can change it and notice a massive difference in performance, mixed together with clever coding from devs and you get an awesome phone.
Original post by yoyo462001
IMO the Desire HD is the best atm (with a little bias :p: ) but it depends on what you want. If you want the google experience then the Nexus S is by far the best version if you want a more Apple like experience then Sense on the Desire is great. What factors are important for you?

In terms of importance
1. Good battery life
2. Screen at least 3.5 inches
3. Decent camera(dont care at all about hd video recording though)
4. Fast(can have live wallpapers without any really noticable lag)
5. Good music player

Scratch proof screen would be a big plus!

Right now I have a motorola defy, it's great but im thinking of upgrading to something even better in the summer that will last me for like the next 4 years lol.
Whats so good about the nexus?
Reply 3065
Original post by purplefrog
I was planning to get the Orange San Francisco - loved the spec it had for its price as well as the fact that it had android OS.
But I have now found out that Orange stopped making it with an AMOLED screen and now use a WVGA TFT one instead - and judging by reviews of the phone the AMOLED was a real plus point.

Is is still worth buying the phone (~£120 incl. topup) if it has the TFT screen instead?
Are there any other close alternatives to the Orange SF? (PAYG or 18month contract)

Does anybody know if a new orange SF will be coming out soon with a better screen?

Hey I got the TFT model and I'd say for the price it's definately worth it, nothing else approaches it's specs at the price level.

Pros:

800x480 Resolution this is the same as a Desire or Nexus One and the TFT screen still has some pros, while images aren't as nice it's better for text, the screen is also brighter as I believe they upped that to help out all in all the TFT screen is still a really nice screen.

512Mb of RAM this is very very good at this price point again you won't get close for £110-£120

Easily unlockable, seriously takes all of 2 minutes to unlock to all networks and doesn't cost a penny

Good community support over at MoDaCo including custom ROMs left right and centre, it's also upgradable to Froyo through custom ROMs and it gains some legs on Froyo:
http://goo.gl/iXich - A benchmark result for you from my phone

Same GPU as the Nexus One so not the most powerful on the market but heck it's £100 after all

Some minus points are the Camera, it's servicable in good lighting conditions but in low light just forget it after all it doesn't have a flash and as for video, don't go there at all.

CPU is previous gen but it does a good job of running android nicely, it can do a little bit of 3d work but nothing intensive, same as the HTC Hero.

In my honest opinion it's great phone for it's price point, though I'd get it elsewhere from Orange, only £10 top-up needed elsewhere, if you have any more questions feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer them for you.
Original post by Jedders

Original post by Jedders
In terms of importance
1. Good battery life
5. Good music player

Right now I have a motorola defy, it's great but im thinking of upgrading to something even better in the summer that will last me for like the next 4 years lol.

Don't go for the Desire HD if battery is your most important thing. Whilst it isn't bad it certainly isn't the best. As most smart phones it's a charge every night. Then again it depends on your expectations, if you've been using a feature phone that lastest 5 days+ without rehcarging then any smart phone is going to be a real shock.

Once again no one who likes battery life will use a live wallpaper, whilst it's fun to show your Apple friends in reality it's really not worth having. All the top Android phones will run live wall papers with no LAG (Desire range, Galaxy S, Nexus S).

In terms of music player the HTC music player is decent but no one sticks with default. There are many many good ones on the market like power amp or double twist.
Reply 3067
Original post by Jedders
In terms of importance
1. Good battery life
5. Good music player

I can get around 2 days battery life from my SGS while using a live wallpaper, that is with low usage. Otherwise you're looking to recharge every night...which is the same for most other smart phones...live wallpapers get a bit boring anyway after a while...

The SGS does have a gorilla glass display making it resistant to scratches, even key and all sorts...

If you were to get any high end smartphone you wouldn't be disappointed...

Also as someone pointed out above, the native music players generally suck...there's loads of good ones on the market though. :h:
So what phone then?
The battery life on the desire seems pretty ****ty :erm: but it's so responsive. TSR works really well on it :lol:
Is rooting and installing a custom ROM really the only way I can use my university's wi-fi? :frown: Needs proxy settings to work..
Original post by aliluvschoc
The battery life on the desire seems pretty ****ty :erm: but it's so responsive. TSR works really well on it :lol:

How long did it last? *in a patronising tone lol *Were you over using it?:rolleyes:
Reply 3072
Original post by LetoKynes
Is rooting and installing a custom ROM really the only way I can use my university's wi-fi? :frown: Needs proxy settings to work..

Surely not? If you go into settings --> Wireless and network --> Wifi settings then menu and select advanced can you not fiddle around with the proxy settings that way?

It took me a while to set up my Uni's wifi cos it requires a password and username....
Original post by blueray
How long did it last? *in a patronising tone lol *Were you over using it?:rolleyes:

I'm saying once a day charge is pretty much normal for it. Though it's only 3 hours to charge it so it's all good. Coming from a normal phone that will last almost a week on standby it's a bit different!
Reply 3074
I am planning to get the new Android ... LG Optimus 2X!! What you guys think about it? Is it is a good phone compared to the HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy and the IPHONE?
Hey people, I have both Gameboid and GBCoid, neither will play games. I have the bios, what am I doing wrong?
Original post by patra

Original post by patra
I am planning to get the new Android ... LG Optimus 2X!! What you guys think about it? Is it is a good phone compared to the HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy and the IPHONE?

I am going to wait till after CES/MWC but the Optimus 2X is a very good phone and I you can't wait, it is what I would get now
Original post by wizard710
I am going to wait till after CES/MWC but the Optimus 2X is a very good phone and I you can't wait, it is what I would get now

Any pics?
Just gotten me the Samsung Galaxy Apollo. Its not as good as an iphone but dear god are they giving away those things!

Previous phone - Samsung G600
Previous tarriff - T-Mobile £15 per month, Unlimited texts, 300 minutes

Current Tarriff- T-Mobile £15 per month for Unlimited internet, unlimited texts and 300 minutes

There are a few things that Ill need to work out with new Android... lets just say Im definitely going to plug it into my computer and change a few things around... ehem. But I cannot believe Ive gotten a smartphone for such a good deal.

Latest

Trending

Trending