The Student Room Group

Did you think the Come Fly with Me racial impersonations were racist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vanny17
lol. I know right, i love listening to music, it makes me feel alive lol. I totally get the picture. :smile: Thanks for the tip, off to watch it on BBC iplayer now, can't believe i never though of this before. It sure is the next best thing :smile:

Haha yeh deffs get what you mean, I lovee it! :smile: and yeah no probs, did you like it in the end? its way better with the voices so when ya get your speakers back try watch it with sound, i'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot more lol :L
Reply 41
The Daily Mail insinuating that others are racist :rofl:

It wasn't at all racist, if you think it is you're taking yourself too seriously.
Reply 42
The 'Japanese Schoolgirls' bit was so bad it was painful...

I have no objection to actors 'blacking up' if it's for a good reason (Lawrence Olivier/Orson Welles in Othello, Michael Bates in 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum - yes two radically different examples I know). But a lot of the sketches were completely pointless - and it's painfully awkward sitting through a white guy being a heavily stereotyped Jamaican woman with no punchline other than that that he is a heavily stereotyped Jamaican Woman...
Reply 43
Oh God - that last post made me sound like one of those types who complains to the BBC if a character's skirt is over ten centimetres over the knee, or something...

Eww
'Racist' and 'funny' are not mutually exclusive.
Reply 45
I think the people complaining are clearly the people who don't get out or have never seen Airport. Everyone must know a Taaj type character, Moses was practically a well honed rip off of the Liason Officer in Airport. I'd say the people calling it racist, are in fact the racists themselves.
Reply 46
No, not at all. They were hilarious tbh. They are great observers of people for them to have portrayed every every race in such a stereotypical accurate manner lol. Will definately be watching the next episode. :biggrin:
Reply 47
Original post by xTurninggMySwagOnx
Haha yeh deffs get what you mean, I lovee it! :smile: and yeah no probs, did you like it in the end? its way better with the voices so when ya get your speakers back try watch it with sound, i'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot more lol :L

I watched it on the TV yesterday on BBC three, so i did watched it with sound after all. It was hilarious :lol:. I enjoyed it, can't wait for the next episode. Love it. :biggrin:
Original post by Vanny17
I watched it on the TV yesterday on BBC three, so i did watched it with sound after all. It was hilarious :lol:. I enjoyed it, can't wait for the next episode. Love it. :biggrin:

Wheeyy haha yeah it is pretty funny :lol: and same! I think it's tonight? Idk what time though?!

Okay found out it's on at 9 :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 49
Wheeyy haha yeah it is pretty funny :lol: and same! I think it's tonight? Idk what time though?!

Okay found out it's on at 9 :smile:

I was laughing all through :lol:. Was it the second episode they showed on at 9?
Original post by Vanny17
I was laughing all through :lol:. Was it the second episode they showed on at 9?

Hahaa was good wasn't it?! lmao and yesss it was the second episode-the one tht was just on :lol:
Reply 51
Hahaa was good wasn't it?! lmao and yesss it was the second episode-the one tht was just on :lol:

Yes it was! No!! I missed it, will watch it online then. I have their funny voices ingrained in my memory so would still love it with no sound on. :lol:
Original post by Vanny17
Yes it was! No!! I missed it, will watch it online then. I have their funny voices ingrained in my memory so would still love it with no sound on. :lol:

lmao ooohhhh noo! so did ya just watch the first episode?!! :lol: ahaha yeah its classic lol
Reply 53
I thought it was hilarious, I'm from an Asian descent and I wouldn't say it was racism just a bit of fun with no hidden 'racist' agenda :rolleyes:

Edit- ooh is the second one out, I'll watch it on iplayer!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 54
lmao ooohhhh noo! so did ya just watch the first episode?!! :lol: ahaha yeah its classic lol

I watched the first episode yesterday. :lol: It was so funny lol
I don't think it's necessarily racist, but I am surprised that the same idiots who watch the tv wit their hands poised over the phone, ready to complain to ofcom have not already done so. Then again, it's probably because people would let david walliams and matt lucas get away with murder, simply because it's 'funny' and entertainment and because its how theyre known and their position in showbiz :dontknow: it's stupid, but then people are stupid soooo
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 56
It's only an issue if the friggin media make it out to be one..
Original post by Vanny17
I watched the first episode yesterday. :lol: It was so funny lol

hahaa ahhh yeaah it iss pretty hilarr:smile: idk if its being continuedd though? or if it was just for Christmas n New Year?! :frown:!
Reply 58
hahaa ahhh yeaah it iss pretty hilarr:smile: idk if its being continuedd though? or if it was just for Christmas n New Year?! :frown:!

I think it would still be continued. Check on this website:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x9xm3/Come_Fly_With_Me_Episode_2/

I think it would still be continuing but i amn't too sure. Watch the second episode if you didn't watch it :lol:
Original post by Vanny17
I think it would still be continued. Check on this website:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x9xm3/Come_Fly_With_Me_Episode_2/

I think it would still be continuing but i amn't too sure. Watch the second episode if you didn't watch it :lol:

you think? oohh yesss:smile: and awww thankyouu yeah just seen that now after eastenders:smile: ahaa good tv night :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest