The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3380
Original post by bigmo7
Custom ROMs basically aim to improve and build on Froyo and optimise the phone and fix as many problems as possible. Using different launchers for the homescreen and general customisations like the lockscreen, the themes for the icons and so on...you can have a look at one of the popular ones here clicky, scroll down for screenshots...

The Kernels fix other problems, for example the filesystem that the SGS uses is slow, you can convert it to a different filesystem (EXT4) to improve responsiveness of the phone dramatically, I mean when you do it you will notice a lot less lag and the phone will be faster. One of the other problems is the sounds quality of the phone through speakers and the bass on the FM radio.

You're not missing something per se but you haven't seen how fast the phone can be yet. If you don't want to use a custom ROM you should at least update to the latest firmware if you haven't already done so. You can have a look in Settings --> About phone and then go down to Baseband version to see which version you have.

I see, so I assume i'll need to use a pc to install it?

Atm I'm using android 2.2, seems, like it's possible to upgrade to a 2.3 version? Im wondering what improvements that'll offer.

I'm guessing doing all of this comes at a risk or a price-
Reply 3381
Original post by G8D
Once rooted you don't technically need a computer, just download the ROM and install from recovery mode :smile:

What phone is it you have?

The only risk is that your warantee becomes void in certain circumstances.

I have a samsung galaxy s!

And yeah I think I read somewhere about warranty becoming void.
Reply 3382
Original post by G8D
You can undo root though. So you CAN revert back if the risk becomes too unbearable.

Check this thread for ROMs for SGS.

Currently there are no fully featured 2.3 ROMs as far as I can see.
I've heard good things about Darky's though.

Alright thanks man, I'll have a read through this and other stuff on xda.
Reply 3383
Can anyone tell me how to transfer my texts to a memory card or to my laptop from my HTC Desire. I need to clear up memory for updates :frown:.

Many thanks!
Original post by Carlos.D
Can anyone tell me how to transfer my texts to a memory card or to my laptop from my HTC Desire. I need to clear up memory for updates :frown:.

Many thanks!

http://www.appbrain.com/app/sms-backup-restore/com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore
Original post by G8D
You can undo root though. So you CAN revert back if the risk becomes too unbearable.

Check this thread for ROMs for SGS.

Currently there are no fully featured 2.3 ROMs as far as I can see.
I've heard good things about Darky's though.

Isnt that hard or is it easy to do ?
Reply 3386
Original post by Yawn11
Alright thanks man, I'll have a read through this and other stuff on xda.

Darky's ROM is great for SGS tho it is a bit of a scary few minutes when flashing the phone. There is some Video walkthroughs which help
Reply 3387
Hi everyone, i got my first android phone today (SE Xperia X8) and i have some questions to ask regarding it.

1. What is the best way of importing the contacts from my nokia 5800 to this phone?

2. I notice that when i hold the home key some applications pop up, are these running, and how would you close them?

3. How do you open the internet from 2g/3g? I cant find anything that turns it on, my wifi at home is absolutely crap.

Thanks in advance, i might be back with more questions though :rolleyes:
Reply 3388
Original post by gt-ere
Hi everyone, i got my first android phone today (SE Xperia X8) and i have some questions to ask regarding it.

1. What is the best way of importing the contacts from my nokia 5800 to this phone?

2. I notice that when i hold the home key some applications pop up, are these running, and how would you close them?

3. How do you open the internet from 2g/3g? I cant find anything that turns it on, my wifi at home is absolutely crap.

Thanks in advance, i might be back with more questions though :rolleyes:

1- Save ur contacts that are on your nokia, to your simcard & then import them in Contacts on your X8

2- No those are the recently apps you have been using. Say if you opened that browser, then you opened messaging, then music. They will appear in that order, first being the last app you used.

3- Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> scroll to Mobile Networks -> Check Data Enabled & should turn on your 2g/3g
Reply 3389
Original post by mzmo
1- Save ur contacts that are on your nokia, to your simcard & then import them in Contacts on your X8

2- No those are the recently apps you have been using. Say if you opened that browser, then you opened messaging, then music. They will appear in that order, first being the last app you used.

3- Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> scroll to Mobile Networks -> Check Data Enabled & should turn on your 2g/3g

Ok for the first two

But there is no Check Data Enabled in mobile networks, there is: Data roaming, Network mode, access point names, network operators, and Sms centre
Reply 3390
Original post by gt-ere
Ok for the first two

But there is no Check Data Enabled in mobile networks, there is: Data roaming, Network mode, access point names, network operators, and Sms centre

go to access point names & tell me if you see anything
Reply 3391
Original post by mzmo
go to access point names & tell me if you see anything

Theres two options: Virgin Media Int and Virgin MMS. Both have the same addresses
Reply 3392
Original post by gt-ere
Theres two options: Virgin Media Int and Virgin MMS. Both have the same addresses

So your on a Virgin Mobile sim card right?

Go back into the access point names & press the menu button & choose new APN & just type these settings into the categories:

Name = Virgin Mobile UK
APN = goto.virginmobile.uk
Proxy = Not Set
Port = 8080
Username = wap
Password = wap
Server = Not Set
MMSC = http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy = 193.030.166.002
MMS Port = 8080
MMC = 234
MNC = 30
Authentication Type = Not Set
APN Type = default,mms
Getting the HTC Desire HD in a week or so. Maybe I should plump for the HTC Desire, it is smaller after all. Have a Hero right now.
Reply 3394
Original post by mzmo
So

Yes, im on VM

So Ive done that, but the internet doesnt work.
Original post by Madjackismad
Getting the HTC Desire HD in a week or so. Maybe I should plump for the HTC Desire, it is smaller after all. Have a Hero right now.

imo go instore and check which size works for you. They're more or less the same hardware/software wise.

i chose the desire due to it being a nicer form factor for me to use and ultimately cheaper. :smile:
Original post by ?!master?!mini?!

imo go instore and check which size works for you. They're more or less the same hardware/software wise.

i chose the desire due to it being a nicer form factor for me to use and ultimately cheaper. :smile:

Not really. Have you seen the 720p the HD takes. Its ****ing epic, took amazing photos and videos while skiing. More ROM too. Apart from that the same-ish but why opt for last gen unless youre on a budget?
Original post by rorydaredking
Not really. Have you seen the 720p the HD takes. Its ****ing epic, took amazing photos and videos while skiing. More ROM too. Apart from that the same-ish but why opt for last gen unless youre on a budget?

Well think about the battery too. I want a phone that lasts through the day whilst I browse the internet take photos and pllay videos and talk/text people. I dont want the puny battery beong used on 720p video recording. (By the end of the day I usually have 10pcent of battery left)

I have a camera and a hd camcorder to do thos + 720p isn't really a big deal. On a side note, the nexus one and desire in custom roms can record in 720p.

Don't start about last Gen. How do you define last gen? Just because the desire hd has a bigger screen, can record in 720p natively, Dolby sound (isn't really impressive) means its a new and better generation?

But don't worry the desire hd will be outdated in a few months.

Imo with phones it doesn't matter what you get as long as it suffices YOUR needs.
(edited 13 years ago)

Well think about the battery too. I want a phone that lasts through the day whilst I browse the internet take photos and pllay videos and talk/text people. I dont want the puny battery beong used on 720p video recording. (By the end of the day I usually have 10pcent of battery left)

I have a camera and a hd camcorder to do thos + 720p isn't really a big deal. On a side note, the nexus one and desire in custom roms can record in 720p.

Don't start about last Gen. How do you define last gen? Just because the desire hd has a bigger screen, can record in 720p natively, Dolby sound (isn't really impressive) means its a new and better generation?

Imo with phones it doesn't matter what you get as long as it suffices YOUR needs.

The poster is reffering to the slight hardware improvements such as the next generation snapdragon CPU and GPU. Either way the Desire HD is the same gen phone as the Galaxy S, Nexus S or Desire.

Fair point, I wasnt being harsh, just I thought now the HD was basically the same price as the Desire. And the battery has massively improved since I got it. Now easily lasts a day.

Latest

Trending

Trending