The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brendan.
Hah! :biggrin:
I know that if I get 3 As this summer, my school will make a big writeup about me going to Oxford, and there'll probably be a picture of me with two students who I expect will be getting their grades for Cambridge (.. scum. :grin:), with some sort of corny caption.

Haha, same here, the local newspaper always has a field day with Oxbridge people on results day...they're normally fixated on the other state school in my area, which normally has more successful applicants than my school...not this year though. The other school only had one person get in, to Cambrdige, and that was with about 4 times as many applicants :tongue:

Although we only had 2 people get in, both to Oxford. BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT.
Original post by rohitronaldo
Oh god....exactly the same thing here. Horribly embarrassing really. Everytime one of those conversations crop up, the first thing I say is CONDITIONAL. It's not like most of us (excluding you lovely unconditional fellows) are even in yet.

Yeah, and us unconditional fellows don't go to school any more so even if our old teachers were talking about it in the staff room, we probably wouldn't know.

Not that there's not enough gossip to go around about us, so that's okay.
Original post by freezombie
Yeah, and us unconditional fellows don't go to school any more so even if our old teachers were talking about it in the staff room, we probably wouldn't know.

Not that there's not enough gossip to go around about us, so that's okay.

I sent an email to a couple of teachers to let them know I'd got in and it got forwarded around to other teachers! Got lots of lovely congratulations though - from my history teacher: "Isn't it funny the way that things work out in the end? A year ago it all must have seemed a bit bleak and now you can look forward to indulging in a few daydreams about your future at Oxford." :biggrin:

edit: neg repper - sorry if this offended, did it come across as overly smug or something?
I guess it just means a lot to me to make my teachers proud, especially after a horrible experience with Cambridge last year which my teachers really helped me through (this time last year, almost to the day, i finally got rejected from Cambridge via a horrible letter after having been accidentally rejected, pooled, had the deadline extended and been told I had a good chance at another college).
(edited 13 years ago)
French and Italian at Keble, unconditional (gap yah), WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! So excited, apart from the minor detail of ****loads of work...
Reply 844
Does anybody know if the person who wrote their letter of recommendation was sent a letter about your acceptance?? I was a bit surprised when my teacher was telling me about the letter since I'd never read about it ANYWHERE ? Just wondering if this is normal practice or not...
Original post by TurnerE
Does anybody know if the person who wrote their letter of recommendation was sent a letter about your acceptance?? I was a bit surprised when my teacher was telling me about the letter since I'd never read about it ANYWHERE ? Just wondering if this is normal practice or not...

I think they send feedback to your referee. My school got an email.
Original post by TurnerE

Hmmm, I haven't heard anything from mine. What did yours say?
Original post by TurnerE

mine referent too recieved a letter...i think is a standard thing...
Ah, I thought only candidates who were rejected got a response to their referee. I wonder what these ones about offers say in them? :biggrin:
Reply 849
Original post by marieparis22
I think they send feedback to your referee. My school got an email.

Original post by riotgrrl
Hmmm, I haven't heard anything from mine. What did yours say?

Original post by moritzplatz
mine referent too recieved a letter...i think is a standard thing...

Oh okay, it seems pretty standard then :smile: I haven't actually seen the letter that they sent to my referee (he lives about a thousand miles away :biggrin:), but he said that they talked about the interviews and then said that they were looking forward to teaching me... Gosh, that sounds very conceited, but I promise I don't mean it that way! :h:
Original post by TurnerE
Oh okay, it seems pretty standard then :smile: I haven't actually seen the letter that they sent to my referee (he lives about a thousand miles away :biggrin:), but he said that they talked about the interviews and then said that they were looking forward to teaching me... Gosh, that sounds very conceited, but I promise I don't mean it that way! :h:

Oooh, that's a good sign! :smile: I'll ask about mine on Monday
I seriously can't wait until October now :s-smilie: It's going to be such a nice change to move somewhere else. I'm sick of my little village!!
Original post by soutioirsim
I seriously can't wait until October now :s-smilie: It's going to be such a nice change to move somewhere else. I'm sick of my little village!!

Haha, same here - except I'm sick of my enormous city (London)

I guess Oxford is a nice compromise :biggrin:
Reply 853
Still doing the list? Im have an offer for PPE at St Peters
Hey, I am from China, w/ an offer for PPE at Somerville.

Anybody applying to Reach Oxford Scholarship?
Anyone else not accepting their offer until they see their module results from the January exams?
Original post by guitarmike456
Anyone else not accepting their offer until they see their module results from the January exams?

Nah, if I have done bad or good in my january exams, I will still be gunning towards the "AAA"s like a steam train :yep:
Reply 857

Im waiting ^^

But thats because I don't know if I should insure Sheffield (AAB) or Leicester (ABB), though AAB seems a little risky at the moment, incase I have some sort of breakdown and be forced to reapply with £9k fees :frown:

Predicted 4A*s and worried about module results--with an offer of AAA? Seems a bit underconfident of you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by NapoleonXV
Hey, I am from China, w/ an offer for PPE at Somerville.

Anybody applying to Reach Oxford Scholarship?

Heyy im applying to Reach Oxford as well (I'm from Argentina)... still haven't written my essay thing, and literally have no ideas about what to write. In case you didnt notice, Im freaking outttttt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending