The Student Room Group

Muhammad Ali plea to Iran for release of hikers

The former world heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali has asked Iran to release two American hikers held since 2009 on charges of spying.

Muhammad Ali, arguably the most prominent US Muslim, sent a letter to supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in February and released it publicly yesterday to the Associated Press news agency.

The letter asks the Ayatollah to release Josh Fattal and Shane Bauer, who were arrested while hiking in northern Iraq near the Iranian border. A third hiker, Sarah Shourd, was released on bail in September, shortly after Ali first wrote to Khamenei.

The three met while studying at the University of California at Berkeley. Mr Fattal joined the other two in Damascus, where they were living at the time, and they set off for what they and friends insist was a perfectly innocent walking expedition. The falls on the border, though remote, are famous for their beauty.

The predicament of the accused men is complicated by America's deeply strained relations with Iran.

The US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has repeatedly called for Iran to release the prisoners.

Ali's letter asks Ayatollah Khamenei as a brother in Islam to show the same mercy and compassion for the two men. Ali founded his centre for world peace in Louisville, Kentucky, where he grew up and launched a career that included three world heavyweight titles.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/muhammad-ali-plea-to-iran-for-release-of-hikers-2244016.html

:love:
Reply 1
Wonder if it will make any difference
Reply 2
I didn't realise Muhammad Ali was still politically active these days. Good on him though, he will live on in history for his inspirational bravery and achievements in his life.
Reply 3
Love for Ali.
Reply 4
Original post by RadioHawk
doubt it will do anything
Please mr Iran sir, please release the hikers, i am a famous person in America and therfore i am writing to you to look cool :smile:

Don't insult the greatest.... :colonhash:
Reply 5
Original post by Sushidelight
Don't insult the greatest.... :colonhash:

i'm not a fan
Reply 6
i'm not a fan

You WILL be a fan. :damnmate:
Reply 7
Original post by Swell
You WILL be a fan. :damnmate:

oh noes it's like catholic school all over again :frown:
Reply 8
oh noes it's like catholic school all over again :frown:

:colone:
I actually love him.

Greatest of all time! and yes he's a Muslim :u:

Great to see him being politically active, despite having to fight off Parkisons
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
doubt it will do anything
Please mr Iran sir, please release the hikers, i am a famous person in America and therfore i am writing to you to look cool :smile:

Don't be stupid.He's not one of those people who does it, who speaks out "just to look cool" otherwise he would have done this in other international incidents.

Anyway good for him. Even if it doesn't have a big effect good for him.
Reply 11
It would be great if they actually released them.

I wouldn't hold my breath though.
:s-smilie: Why would americans take a hike in IRAN?

Fair enough if they are though.
LOL who cares what Muhammad Ali says, when he said the war in Vietnam was wrong the US government didn't listen?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending