The Student Room Group

What are the isomers of c6h14

I found 11: hexane, 2-methly pentane, 1,4, dimethlybutane, 1,3, dimethylbutane, 2,3,dimethylbutane , 2-ethylbutane , 2-propylpropane, 2,4dimethylbutane, 1-ethyl-2-methyl propane, 3-ethyl 2-methylpropane, 2-ethyl-2methylpropane etc.

I searched online and there are only supposed to be 5 isomers?!I'm so confused!
Reply 1
Original post by annathecat
I found 11: hexane, 2-methly pentane, 1,4, dimethlybutane, 1,3, dimethylbutane, 2,3,dimethylbutane , 2-ethylbutane , 2-propylpropane, 2,4dimethylbutane, 1-ethyl-2-methyl propane, 3-ethyl 2-methylpropane, 2-ethyl-2methylpropane etc.

if you do them systematically, you need to discount the fact that due to symmetry, you might have two identical structures - these should only be counted as one.
2-ethylbutane is actually 3-methylpentane as by adding the ethyl group to the butane, you create a longer chain of 5 carbons.
Also, if you add a methyl group to the first carbon in the chain, like in 1,4, dimethlybutane, 1,3, dimethylbutane, this isn't a group any longer as you've increased the longest carbon chain, so 1,4, dimethlybutane is actually just hexane.
Reply 4
hexane
2-methylpentane
3-methylpentane
2,3-dimethylbutane

I can't think of the other one.
Reply 5
Original post by annathecat

Original post by mobius323
hexane
2-methylpentane
3-methylpentane
2,3-dimethylbutane

I can't think of the other one.

2,2 dimethylbutane
Reply 6
Original post by QUWERTY
2,2 dimethylbutane

That's the ticket.
Reply 7