The Student Room Group

Television Is Bad.

Poll

Is Television Bad For Us.

Discuss.

I stopped watching it since last summer - not intentionally, just because I had no time due to travelling and jobs. However, I noticed a change in myself: e.g. doing more tangible things, working my own imagination by myself, not being conditioned, being more in control of my frontal lobe etc etc. Thus, I decided to check the internet (and to also boost my ego! :lol: ) and there seems to be a wealth of information about television (some of which I will supply below).

So, vote in the poll and discuss your opinions in the thread.

Are you addicted to it? When you sit down to watch one programme, do you end up watching 5 programmes instead? Do you daydream excessively? etc etc.

Discuss what YOU think.

http://www.jakeg.co.uk/essays/television.htm

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Television-is-bad-for-children-17547.shtml

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/negative-effects-of-television.html

http://www.eruptingmind.com/effects-of-tv-on-brain/
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If I watch TV then I usually watch documentaries or BBC News/Newsnight/Questiontime. In that respect, I think you're cutting yourself off from a very useful source of information if you don't watch telly. Obviously, there are advantages to not watching TV if you usually spend your days watching Big Brother (well not anymore) or other mindless reality programmes.
Reply 2
Mmkay.
Reply 3
You need a job
Jibba jabba
Reply 5
You think television is bad for you?!

Living is much worse.
Reply 6
Don't you DARE insult TV!...... It has given me the best years of my life.
Yeah T/V is complete bull****, the amount of mindless utter crap that's spewed out is horrendous. No wonder this country has too many troubles with Americanisms, they're all that are on T/V.

Imo people should be forced to read and gain an acceptable level of basic understanding before being allowed to sit in front of a T/V for hours on end, days on end, weeks on end, months on end, years on end.

Find something productive to do you lazy ****e, it's better than SUPPORTING AND ADVOCATING ALL THAT AMERICANISMS AND IMPERIALISTIC REMARKS FROM OUR FRIENDS ACROSS THE POND.

This is turning us into AMERICA #2!
Original post by B-Man.

Original post by B-Man.
Don't you DARE insult TV!...... It has given me the best years of my life.

"best" - that is what I thought before... until I stopped watching it. It sapped my childhood - if you ask me to remember my childhood memories, it is mostly revolved around memories of "favourite" television programmes and whatnot - Television, the greatest lie for "fun" and "happiness".
I've also found myself watching less TV as time has gone on, all I watch these days are the news although there is a show or two that has my attention.
hmmm.. intriguing it is a paradox about the childhood dilemma being children's programme (i.e Barbie doll, sesame street, teletubies), but isnt that what we give children to keep silent/behave/listen while we work sleep etc ??(but thats not the argument!) i came to the same conclusion as you during my gap year when reading on many topics and expanding my subjugated mind! at the end of the day it used to distort the opinion of the masses
> > TV, why would so many corporate organisations whether directly or indirectly linked to the government be so interested in promoting the culture of tv? this opium (i.e 3d tv/hd tv < every one has to have one to be modern!) simple
>>> MIND MANIPULATION
whether or not you disagree i believe the tv is a medium that is used to twist people's views and perception (i.e if it is repeated enough times that russia is invading poland on 5 different channels what are the odds you'd dare raise an eye brow to it O_o?) and i am adamant that if you look closely enough below the surface you might be able to see the sketches in place!

lool, i am expecting a fair few people to say it is nonsense well dont be shy let em hear your views on tsr P:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
I believe I once told you that a poll you created was the worst poll I had ever seen. That poll has now been beaten by this poll.

Also, without TV we wouldn't have Doctor Who. TV is a force for good.
Since coming to uni, I've been watching less TV. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything to be honest. I know I'll just catch the latest gossip still from Facebook or twitter or wherever. If I do watch tv it's tends to be the news now more than anything =/
Original post by mohamed aden

Original post by mohamed aden
hmmm.. intriguing it is a paradox about the childhood dilemma being children's programme (i.e Barbie doll, sesame street, teletubies), but isnt that what we give children to keep silent/behave/listen while we work sleep etc ??(but thats not the argument!) i came to the same conclusion as you during my gap year when reading on many topics and expanding my subjugated mind! at the end of the day it used to distort the opinion of the masses
&gt; &gt; TV, why would so many corporate organisations whether directly or indirectly linked to the government be so interested in promoting the culture of tv? this opium (i.e 3d tv/hd tv &lt; every one has to have one to be modern!) simple
&gt;&gt;&gt; MIND MANIPULATION
whether or not you disagree i believe the tv is a medium that is used to twist people's views and perception (i.e if it is repeated enough times that russia is invading poland on 5 different channels what are the odds you'd dare raise an eye brow to it O_o?) and i am adamant that if you look closely enough below the surface you might be able to see the sketches in place!

lool, i am expecting a fair few people to say it is nonsense well dont be shy let em hear your views on tsr P:

I totally agree. It sticks one's mind in neutral and literally imparts information into their subconscious without any resistance. Television - disguised hypnosis and brainwashing.
Original post by Bobifier

Original post by Bobifier
I believe I once told you that a poll you created was the worst poll I had ever seen. That poll has now been beaten by this poll.

Also, without TV we wouldn't have Doctor Who. TV is a force for good.

The Western Coalition attacking Libya are also a"force of good" too?

P.S. Please, do enlighten me on the art of poll-making. :pierre:
Original post by Ducklighter
Since coming to uni, I've been watching less TV. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything to be honest. I know I'll just catch the latest gossip still from Facebook or twitter or wherever. If I do watch tv it's tends to be the news now more than anything =/

I tend to read the news - why watch it?
Reply 16
It depends what you watch and how much of your life it takes up. I've learnt a vast number of things from educational programs, hell I've even learnt a bit from comedy and films.

You can't say it's all bad, that's just ignorant.
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
I totally agree. It sticks one's mind in neutral and literally imparts information into their subconscious without any resistance. Television - disguised hypnosis and brainwashing.

Did you know that the rockefellas actually had german scientist listen to Hitler speech over radio during WW2? to learn and implement effective propraganda! the thing is yes only a few can look at how the media as a whole is not neutral!

> but whats the way forward in counteracting it... you cant keep your logical mind active for 2 hours while watching a movie for entertainment o_0, what is the way forward in finding the correct blend ???
I used to watch lots, however since being at Uni all i miss is the sport, and only the cricket i have gone out of my way to find a means of watching. I do, however, watch a lot of films and play games. In a sense i feel quietly superior, even though it is essentially the same thing : P
Reply 19

If your mind is 'in neutral' when watching tv then you need to be more selective in what you watch. Shows like The Wire and Arrested Development require you to be alert and engaged.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending