The Student Room Group

Is it ok to not go out and stay at home on a Friday night?

I'm 19 years old, going into second year of uni. The housemates I'll be staying with next year are amazing people, but they go out pretty much every Friday. As an introvert, I'm really not built for that. I'll go out clubbing and drinking but I can't do it every Friday and need a couple Fridays to myself watching a movie or something. Is it bad if I occasionally stay at home on a Friday night when all of my housemates go out?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 19 years old, going into second year of uni. The housemates I'll be staying with next year are amazing people, but they go out pretty much every Friday. As an introvert, I'm really not built for that. I'll go out clubbing and drinking but I can't do it every Friday and need a couple Fridays to myself watching a movie or something. Is it bad if I occasionally stay at home on a Friday night when all of my housemates go out?

Hello Anon,

That is completely fine, there is no need to worry about taking time for yourself when you need it. I am very much the same and when I would rather stay in and not go out I tell my flatmates exactly that and they're fine with it. If they're amazing people I'm confident they will respect those boundaries and accept that you won't always be in a clubbing/drinking mood.

Hope this helps,
Dom

Hi :h:

This isn't bad at all! Whilst going out every weekend might be for some people, it's certainly not for everyone, and that isn't a bad thing! We're all different! I personally don't really ever go clubbing at all, I don't mind going out for meals/bowling and maybe a drink or two every now and then but it's all about personal preference :smile: staying at home and watching a movie sounds like fun if you ask me. As an introvert, don't feel like you have to bend what makes you happy in order to fit the lifestyle of other people, you are not those people! You are YOU!

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies

Hi there

Final year Cardiff University student here!

In my second year, I would only go out every few weeks because I prioritised my money for travel etc over nights out. This was totally fine! My housemates and I would sometimes watch a film at home instead together which was so much more relaxed.

I hope this helps:smile:

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi!
It is absolutely not bad if you choose to stay in, you should do whatever you feel is best for you. I am sure your housemates will understand and respect your decision as not everyone is the same. I personally have many friends who love to go out as much as possible but, like you, that is not always what I want to do, I've found that good friends don't mind how you want to spend your Friday nights. They may even decide they want to join you and have a night in instead!

I hope this is reassuring, Faye :smile:
It's absolutely fine. I'm also an introvert and going out clubbing, especially on a Friday sounds like my idea of hell. I look forward to a chill Friday evening at home watching a film and eating delicious food!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending