The Student Room Group

Oxford Living Costs.. how much, really??

Hey all,

I have just been accepted to Oxford for my masters, and I am wondering how much I am going to spend per month there (approximately). My college (Green Templeton) has calculated something around 12,500 pounds (per year) which I assume includes accommodation plus meals and other costs (books, social life, etc). I have neither studied nor ever lived in the UK so I can't really estimate.

What is your experience in this regard? How much do you spend per month? I am a guy that likes to eat nice but simple meals, I go out normally once a week for a couple of pints with friends, I am looking to get a single small room in college (avg. 400 pounds/month), I like to buy a t-shirt every now and then... in other words, I guess I'm quite the average student when it comes to spending money.

Also, how does the eating part works? is there a meal plan I can subscribe to? or am I expected to cook three meals for myself everyday? Or is it a mix between the two? How does this work? If this varies between colleges, any experience with Green Templeton?

Cheers and thank you for your help! :gthumb:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I was pretty staggered by the £12,500 figure in all honesty when i received it, so much so i started a thread about it. There may be some set up costs for someone like yourself but personally i do not anticipate spending more than £9,000 at an absolute top estimate as a graduate like yourself anticipating similar accommodation costs. That budget includes some £71 per week on food alone - you'd have to be eating such expensive food to manage that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by der.verrueckte
Hey all,

I have just been accepted to Oxford for my masters, and I am wondering how much I am going to spend per month there (approximately). My college (Green Templeton) has calculated something around 12,500 pounds (per year) which I assume includes accommodation plus meals and other costs (books, social life, etc). I have neither studied nor ever lived in the UK so I can't really estimate.

What is your experience in this regard? How much do you spend per month? I am a guy that likes to eat nice but simple meals, I go out normally once a week for a couple of pints with friends, I am looking to get a single small room in college (avg. 400 pounds/month), I like to buy a t-shirt every now and then... in other words, I guess I'm quite the average student when it comes to spending money.

Also, how does the eating part works? is there a meal plan I can subscribe to? or am I expected to cook three meals for myself everyday? Or is it a mix between the two? How does this work? If this varies between colleges, any experience with Green Templeton?

Cheers and thank you for your help! :gthumb:

Hey, I was also accepted at Green Templeton, and indeed the costs are staggering. However I am an international student accepted for the MSc. Global health science and I'm really hoping to get a scholarship.
What course were you admitted for? How are you planning to pay for your masters. It's nice to meet someone who'll be in my college...
Reply 3
Original post by nexttime
I was pretty staggered by the £12,500 figure in all honesty when i received it, so much so i started a thread about it. There may be some set up costs for someone like yourself but personally i do not anticipate spending more than £9,000 at an absolute top estimate as a graduate like yourself anticipating similar accommodation costs. That budget includes some £71 per week on food alone - you'd have to be eating such expensive food to manage that.

Thank you! this is the type of observation I needed. Are the £71 included in the 9,000 or 12,000 budget?
Also, any info on the meal system question? Thanks nexttime.

Original post by someday soon
Hey, I was also accepted at Green Templeton, and indeed the costs are staggering. However I am an international student accepted for the MSc. Global health science and I'm really hoping to get a scholarship.
What course were you admitted for? How are you planning to pay for your masters. It's nice to meet someone who'll be in my college...

Hey someday soon! I got into the MPhil in Development Studies, I could not be happier with Green Templeton. It seems like a lot of interesting and related programmes (like yours) will be coexisting within the same walls. I am planning to use some savings, and the rest through a private loan. Although I am competing for scholarships, I am really not counting on getting them.

As of which loan, I am not exactly sure. I need to do more research on this. How about you??

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by der.verrueckte
Thank you! this is the type of observation I needed. Are the £71 included in the 9,000 or 12,000 budget?
Also, any info on the meal system question? Thanks nexttime.

That's in the £12,500. Its breakdown is available here.

The meal system varies between colleges. Some have a system where you either subscribe to all college meals in a term or go on a pay-as-you-go basis. Whichever plan is used, i think most if not all colleges offer breakfast lunch and dinner most days. Having said that, Green is a bit special as a graduate college so maybe its different. Certainly on the plus side, graduates seem to uniformly have better access to kitchens than undergrads even within undergraduate colleges.

But as i say, i can only make generalizations. If you want to know for sure i'd suggest dropping their admissions officer an e-mail.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending