The Student Room Group

Can I cram the LNAT in 3 weeks?

Hi all, I'm thinking of making a very last minute application to Cambridge for Law - just as it is better to be rejected than to have regrets.

Anyway, before I commit, is it possible to cram preparation for the LNAT in 3 weeks time? I am in a gap year, so I have all day everyday, for roughly 23 days.... I will also have to do my Personal Statement, but I really only have to edit the one I had done for the previous application last year.

Is it worth it considering my chances are already extremely slim and I may harm chances of other more realistic universities by having a sub-optimal LNAT score?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by gregregregreg
Hi all, I'm thinking of making a very last minute application to Cambridge for Law - just as it is better to be rejected than to have regrets.

Anyway, before I commit, is it possible to cram preparation for the LNAT in 3 weeks time? I am in a gap year, so I have all day everyday, for roughly 23 days.... I will also have to do my Personal Statement, but I really only have to edit the one I had done for the previous application last year.

Is it worth it considering my chances are already extremely slim and I may harm chances of other more realistic universities by having a sub-optimal LNAT score?

Thanks.

Well I think it would be doable (doing a multiple choice a day or every other day), but more importantly, you'd need to be able to book a test for before the deadline, I did Oxford last year and even though I was booking in mid August, the tests at my nearest centre had already been booked. It would definitely be possible, but time and Pearson definitely won't be on your side, so check if there are any test dates near you soon (I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you it might not be possible).
Good luck if you do manage to find a test!
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Emmie85
Well I think it would be doable (doing a multiple choice a day or every other day), but more importantly, you'd need to be able to book a test for before the deadline, I did Oxford last year and even though I was booking in mid August, the tests at my nearest centre had already been booked. It would definitely be possible, but time and Pearson definitely won't be on your side, so check if there are any test dates near you soon (I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you it might not be possible).
Good luck if you do manage to find a test!

There is, one at 9th October, and that is 16 days away... Idk what to do. If I rush to do it for chances at Cambridge I might harm my chances at other universities (if I get a poor result). It is really annoying because had I just made my decision on what to do before lol... I wouldn't be in my current position.

My other option is to give it time and do it early December - where I will likely get a better result (although idk how much preparation you need). How many hours overall did you do? Did you do well?
Reply 3
There is, one at 9th October, and that is 16 days away... Idk what to do. If I rush to do it for chances at Cambridge I might harm my chances at other universities (if I get a poor result). It is really annoying because had I just made my decision on what to do before lol... I wouldn't be in my current position.

My other option is to give it time and do it early December - where I will likely get a better result (although idk how much preparation you need). How many hours overall did you do? Did you do well?

I really don't know how many hours I did overall, but I had known I would apply to oxbridge (I wasn't sure which one at the time though) in the summer term of lower sixth, so I planned my preparation accordingly and probably did more than I needed to. I got a 29 (the average was 22) and an interview from Oxford, but not an offer and the only other LNAT uni I applied to was kcl for Politics Philosophy and Law which I got into and am doing.
What are the other unis you're considering, and how are you doing at the moment on lnat tests? (maybe try one of the mock ones on the website and see how you're doing to gauge how much preparation you might need, a high 20s, low 30s is definitely enough to get an interview, I know someone who got a Cambridge interview and is now at LSE who got mid to low 20s for the multiple choice, but their essay could have been particularly strong)
Original post by Emmie85
I really don't know how many hours I did overall, but I had known I would apply to oxbridge (I wasn't sure which one at the time though) in the summer term of lower sixth, so I planned my preparation accordingly and probably did more than I needed to. I got a 29 (the average was 22) and an interview from Oxford, but not an offer and the only other LNAT uni I applied to was kcl for Politics Philosophy and Law which I got into and am doing.
What are the other unis you're considering, and how are you doing at the moment on lnat tests? (maybe try one of the mock ones on the website and see how you're doing to gauge how much preparation you might need, a high 20s, low 30s is definitely enough to get an interview, I know someone who got a Cambridge interview and is now at LSE who got mid to low 20s for the multiple choice, but their essay could have been particularly strong)

I was also considering PPL at KCL! How is it? I'm thinking of applying for either Law or PPL at KCL, then others are Manchester, Warwick, and undecided on the rest.

Can I ask what your stats were? I'm quite lost. I finished my A-Levels this year and got A*A*A but in poor subjects (Economics, Media, Business) so yeah I'm not going to Cambridge. I just want to know where my upper limit is really - I really shot myself in the foot with terrible A-Level choices.
Reply 5
I was also considering PPL at KCL! How is it? I'm thinking of applying for either Law or PPL at KCL, then others are Manchester, Warwick, and undecided on the rest.

Can I ask what your stats were? I'm quite lost. I finished my A-Levels this year and got A*A*A but in poor subjects (Economics, Media, Business) so yeah I'm not going to Cambridge. I just want to know where my upper limit is really - I really shot myself in the foot with terrible A-Level choices.

I might be biased and we've only just finished freshers week, but PPL is so much better than straight law! There are about 30 people doing PPL in my year, and we had our own induction as well as the law one, the PPL one was much better because it was a smaller group, the former course director took us on a 'school trip' to find the philosophy and politics departments, they gave us tea and biscuits, and the majority of us went and chatted on the top of Bush house after the induction. I'm sure law is great, but even ignoring the fact you get a qualifying degree and get to do politics and philosophy, PPL has a better community feel because the course is smaller, but both courses are good!
For stats, I was a home student who did the IB, and was predicted 42 with a 766 (equivalent to an A*AA) and ended up getting a 39 and 766. as far as I'm aware, Kings don't look at your LNAT essay, so bear that in mind
Original post by Emmie85
I might be biased and we've only just finished freshers week, but PPL is so much better than straight law! There are about 30 people doing PPL in my year, and we had our own induction as well as the law one, the PPL one was much better because it was a smaller group, the former course director took us on a 'school trip' to find the philosophy and politics departments, they gave us tea and biscuits, and the majority of us went and chatted on the top of Bush house after the induction. I'm sure law is great, but even ignoring the fact you get a qualifying degree and get to do politics and philosophy, PPL has a better community feel because the course is smaller, but both courses are good!
For stats, I was a home student who did the IB, and was predicted 42 with a 766 (equivalent to an A*AA) and ended up getting a 39 and 766. as far as I'm aware, Kings don't look at your LNAT essay, so bear that in mind

Oh right ok thanks! I'm interested in philosophy and law - not quite sure about politics though. Also, can I ask what it's like in London? Did you live there before / commuting? It's a dream to study there but honestly I'm scared of the living costs
Reply 7
Oh right ok thanks! I'm interested in philosophy and law - not quite sure about politics though. Also, can I ask what it's like in London? Did you live there before / commuting? It's a dream to study there but honestly I'm scared of the living costs

So in terms of not being sure about politics, you only have to do it for the first 2 years (and even then its only a quarter of your credits), so it shouldn't be too bad. So far living in London has been ok, but I've only been here a week! I'm living with my grandad because the student accommodation is very expensive, but Kings do have an affordable accommodation scheme, so if you qualify for that, then look into it but London is much more expensive than any of the other university towns/ cities in the UK. But, there are lots of things that you can do for free, and I've so far been able to walk to the majority of places I want to go to, including the 30ish minute walk to campus (I walk past the Royal Courts of Justice which is cool!)
Original post by Emmie85
So in terms of not being sure about politics, you only have to do it for the first 2 years (and even then its only a quarter of your credits), so it shouldn't be too bad. So far living in London has been ok, but I've only been here a week! I'm living with my grandad because the student accommodation is very expensive, but Kings do have an affordable accommodation scheme, so if you qualify for that, then look into it but London is much more expensive than any of the other university towns/ cities in the UK. But, there are lots of things that you can do for free, and I've so far been able to walk to the majority of places I want to go to, including the 30ish minute walk to campus (I walk past the Royal Courts of Justice which is cool!)

Oh right that does sound cool - I just saw the accommodation costs, uh oh.... :smile: I don't think I'll apply - I'll see
Original post by Emmie85

I did my first MCQ test thingy and got 28, which isn't bad. Although I don't think I could do it in a couple weeks - I'll probably do it early december

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending