The Student Room Group

US 'kill team' soldier who murdered unarmed Afghans escapes life sentence

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aj12
24 years in prison will be prrety brutal. A quarter of your life gone. 25 years spent in a box getting an hour of sunlight a day.

How long until parole?
Reply 21
Original post by Sushidelight
How long until parole?

Did't see it in the article.

But murder like this? Deliberate premeditated murder. Can't see him getting it for awhile. Pretty hard to show you have reformed from a sadistic well trained killer.
God. I want to hit all you morons that are calling for executions.

edit: and I want to ****ing murder all of you worthless ***** that think, well, that do care about this reputation system.

Someone will cry 'oh, but you're swearing!!1 u r so childish'. Words like **** and **** are just that, words. Buying into the whole reputation system is quite evidently a sign of some form of mental deficiency.
(edited 13 years ago)
The US get away with EVERYTHING.it's only natural.
only people like Binladin can fight them.
Reply 24
Good. The guy was a mental case not a natural born killer.
I hate people :angry:
Original post by Sushidelight
QFA

I just wanted to say I like the video in your sig, and I repped you for it. Both Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton were great actors, may they both rest in peace.

Original post by Aj12
When was your last tour in Helmand?

Just saying that these men are conditioned to fight and murder without remorse. We create men like these.

Not saying its an excuse for what they did and they are rightly being punished but its hardly black and white.

I agree with this point. I'm not defending what this guy did, what he did was wrong and should be punished however it's easy to critisise soldiers and what they do without ever having walked in their shoes, or even their boots.
Original post by echelongirl1
I hate people :angry:

That's a bit melodramatic
Reply 28
Original post by Aj12
A couple? Its 24 years. In prison. Hardly easy is it? What they did was horrible yes but 24 years in a prison sell is hardly peachy. With a crime like this he won't have much of a chance of parole anyway.

While bradley manning gets up to 52 :hmmm:
For goodness sake, it's no wonder that the world hates the American government :rolleyes:
Original post by thunder_chunky
I agree with this point. I'm not defending what this guy did, what he did was wrong and should be punished however it's easy to critisise soldiers and what they do without ever having walked in their shoes, or even their boots.

I totally disagree. There's a difference between one man cracking and losing it, to a whole group of guys planning the killing of civilians for their enjoyment. They all did it.
I replied previously post #9 to this. Here is one quote:

Morlock told the judge that he and the other soldiers first began plotting to murder unarmed Afghans in late 2009, several weeks before the first killing took place. To make the killings appear justified, the soldiers planned to plant weapons near the bodies of the victims, he said.

=premeditated

Don't make excuses for them. You wouldn't make excuses for terrorists and these guys were plain sadistic murderers i.e terrorists of the worst kind. You don't find terrorism with terrorism and this is exactly how the West lose credibility in the East. They have to come down on them like a tonne of bricks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
He could be out in 7 years, which is obviously not enough!
Reply 31
That is the US where he will probably actually serve the full sentence. People murder in the UK all the time and get sentences like this and then get let out early.. Why the fuss?
Original post by silent ninja
I totally disagree. There's a difference between one man cracking and losing it, to a whole group of guys planning the killing of civilians for their enjoyment. They all did it.
I replied previously post #9 to this.

Don't make excuses for them. You wouldn't make excuses for terrorists and these guys were plain sadistic murderers i.e terrorists of the worst kind.

Like I said I'm not make excuses for him or anyone like him, I was merely commenting on the fact that I agreed with Aj12's point that soldiers are trained to fight and who go through a lot are often conditioned to react a certain way. This should be remembered in certain circumstances.

As it stands though this is not one of those circumstances.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Like I said I'm not make excuses for him or anyone like him, I was merely commenting on the fact that I agreed with Aj12's point that soldiers are trained to fight and who go through a lot are often conditioned to react a certain way. This should be remembered in certain circumstances.

As it stands though this is not one of those circumstances.

Certainly not, I agree. This is different.
Original post by silent ninja
Certainly not, I agree. This is different.

Ergo I was not making excuses for him
Original post by amsie/
While bradley manning gets up to 52 :hmmm:
For goodness sake, it's no wonder that the world hates the American government :rolleyes:

I was waiting for the first moron who would make a comparison between Manning; looks like it came quicker than I even thought :rolleyes:

Manning also broke treason laws which put many more lives at risk than this guy, not to mention political setbacks which could have helped thousands more. Oh, and don't be so ignorant as taking this statement (i.e. Manning did something worse than this solider) to be not condoning such terrible acts - I hope the guy serves every second of his 24 years and realises the heinous crimes he has committed.

Is it any wonder why people see the "We hate America/UK/West based on nonsensical assumptions/conclusions" brigade as utter plebs....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by manchild007
I was waiting for the first moron who would make a comparison between Manning; looks like it came quicker than I even thought :rolleyes:

Manning also broke treason laws which put many more lives at risk than guy, not to mention political setbacks which could have helped thousands more. Oh, and don't be so ignorant as taking this statement (i.e. Manning did something worse than this solider) to be not condoning such terrible acts - I hope the guy serves every second of his 24 years and realises the heinous crimes he has committed.

My point was that the court cooperated with the soldier so they weren't so harsh on him, I get that the released cables put lives at risk, but at the end of the day it just shows how America will put its own interest before justice. Perhaps America will be more responsible in the future.
Fact is, it's not just. :rolleyes:
Original post by amsie/
at the end of the day it just shows how America will put its own interest before justice. Perhaps America will be more responsible in the future.
Fact is, it's not just. :rolleyes:

Yes, b/c we didn't know this before - a country is acting in its own national interest. Oh the shock, oh the horror! :rolleyes:

With leaking such information, a large majority of which has nothing to do with "shedding light", all Manning has done is put lives at risk and set back political advances for the betterment of society in some areas. I'm all for him shedding light on abuses, but he didn't do just that - he did something ultimately worse.
Reply 38
Original post by manchild007
Yes, b/c we didn't know this before - a country is acting in its own national interest. Oh the shock, oh the horror! :rolleyes:

With leaking such information, a large majority of which has nothing to do with "shedding light", all Manning has done is put lives at risk and set back political advances for the betterment of society in some areas. I'm all for him shedding light on abuses, but he didn't do just that - he did something ultimately worse.

So, they should face the repercussions :flower:
If a country acts in its own interest it should face the consequences for its actions, america isn't above the law. I could say the same for al Qaeda, terrorism was part of the reason iraq was invaded, a majority, which has nothing to do with terrorism, were involved in a war they didn't want.
Original post by amsie/
So, they should face the repercussions :flower:
If a country acts in its own interest it should face the consequences for its actions, america isn't above the law. I could say the same for al Qaeda, terrorism was part of the reason iraq was invaded, a majority, which has nothing to do with terrorism, were involved in a war they didn't want.

You're digressing from the point here - we're not talking about the morality/legality of the US and its actions, we're talking about what Manning in particular did and its comparison to this solider.

We can go into the topic of Iraq etc, but this is not the thread for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending