The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hmm apparently this problem I have happens a lot on people's 2.2. I think I'll try one of the message apps.
Original post by G8D
That is an app your install on your phone, enter your IMEI number and it gives you an unlock code. Unlocking your phone simply allows you to use other SIMs in it from different operators.

A ROM is the software you load on the phone (customised version of Android), Japanese Jellyfish is just one of many ROMs available for the OSF. To get rid of the Orange branded stuff you need to either remove them from the ROM installed on your phone by default or install a new ROM entirely (what I would recommend).

You should quote Mad Vlad or greeneyedgirl if you require anymore information as they both have the OSF rooted and with a custom ROM :smile:

:teeth: What is this app?
Im guessing the Samsung tab is still better than the new i-pad 2 :colone:
Original post by blueray

Original post by blueray
Im guessing the Samsung tab is still better than the new i-pad 2 :colone:

It never was.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Galaxy tab.
Original post by G8D
I linked it a few posts before that. Its only for ZTE blade/OSF.

What's that? lol Could you possibly do it for me? :biggrin:
I just used Tasker to set up my phone so that it plays the final movement of Shostakovich's 4th symphony at full volume when I send it a certain text, so as not to lose it. I then decided to test this feature, so I sent myself the appropriate text and discovered to my dismay that I have no idea how to stop it playing. The piece is about 10 minutes long, so this is perhaps a feature to be used only in emergencies...
Original post by silent ninja
It's weird.
Rewind 6-10 odd years. Sony was the Apple of this world. Cool products. A little overpriced but generally good quality products. Now they've kinda lost the plot. The Playstation Phone looks like it's gonna flop. They cocked up the formidable Playstation dominance. Their smartphones always let down. They don't make plasma tvs (which anyone knows still has the edge on LCD; shame on Pioneer too!) and their low end LCDs are just plain overpriced. Their laptops are a bit flimsy (my cousin sells laptops and he gets the most orders for Vaio parts)*.

Ericcson used to make good phones before Sony came along. Sony-Ericcson has made a good few, classics like the K800i, but they are so inconsistent.

Okay they are not all that bad but no longer an innovator, but one that is always playing catch up.

Still, they sell nice cheap earphones on Amazon. Good value for money they are.

*Quanta make most laptops so I dunno why quality varies... maybe the specs?

In my opinion, the two things that have killed Sony are their penchant for closed, proprietary systems and standards, and their uncompetitive cost. When you can buy hardware that's as good or better than that of Sony's, without the hefty price tag and uses commonly found hardware standards, like USB, SD, DVI, etc., why would you buy anything by Sony? If Apple fall into the same trap as Sony by not adopting common standards and not innovating, they'll suffer the same demise.
Original post by Mad Vlad
In my opinion, the two things that have killed Sony are their penchant for closed, proprietary systems and standards, and their uncompetitive cost. When you can buy hardware that's as good or better than that of Sony's, without the hefty price tag and uses commonly found hardware standards, like USB, SD, DVI, etc., why would you buy anything by Sony? If Apple fall into the same trap as Sony by not adopting common standards and not innovating, they'll suffer the same demise.

You just reminded me of those darn annoying memory sticks! A few mbs would cost you several times more than the standard at the time. They looove proprietary systems. Most recently they won the Bluray format war so chances are they haven't lost their appetite in continuing to do this.

Yes it's true about Apple. However they have a very loyal following and their killer feature (besides easy of use) is the extensively developed ecosystem that effectively traps users in their system. Everything from movies and music to apps and integration with Macs, and a plethora of accessories (docks, car kits, cases, gadgets...). It's quite effective because everything is just 'there', ready for the mainstream user. They had a big headstart in order to develop all of this. Recently, there is talk about them integrating Air Play in to televisions and players. Something like that again massively boosts the value of an iDevice, provided major manufacturers adopt it (which is pretty likely with their clout). I think Apple has much deeper pockets than Sony ever had too. So in short, I think we're waiting for some mis-steps to take them down a notch or two. Sony made a lot but so far Apple are getting away with theirs (like excluding Flash). Apple are innovating without innovating which is friggin genius. Bastards.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by JChoudhry
What's that? lol Could you possibly do it for me? :biggrin:

Do what?
Original post by Bobifier
I just used Tasker to set up my phone so that it plays the final movement of Shostakovich's 4th symphony at full volume when I send it a certain text, so as not to lose it. I then decided to test this feature, so I sent myself the appropriate text and discovered to my dismay that I have no idea how to stop it playing. The piece is about 10 minutes long, so this is perhaps a feature to be used only in emergencies...

Cut down the piece to a small excerpt and try again?
Original post by mikeyd85

Original post by mikeyd85
Must admit, I'm tempted by the iPad 2 tonight... but lack of Flash is just such a deal breaker!

Still no flash? :gah:
SO what's the best ROM for the Orange SF at the moment? I need to sort my brother's phone out. I did mine a while back and it's on Flibblesan's 9b which is pure awesomeness but he's updated it and is on 11. Has the Jellyfish improved? It was a battery sucker last time I tried it.

I'll be adding the Gingerbread theme too. booya!
Reply 4452
Now is kind of a bad time to buy.
The Motorola Atrix and LG Optimus 2X are shortly on the way (LG roughly in next two weeks). Both are dual core Android phones.
The Samsung Galaxy S2 looks awesome and seems to be the one that stands out with its Super AMOLED+ screen. Here's a video of it (chance to brush up on your Ukrainian!). You get a massive 4.3" screen but it's not actually that big itself (although a lot of ppl are complaining the dude in the video has fat hands making the phone look thinner :laugh:). The Samsung Galaxy S2 Mini is also coming and it is similar but with 3.7" screen.

Right this moment the Incredible S and Nexus S seem to be the best phones available.

I'm surprised you didn't find the standard Desire much faster than your Hero. It must render the web pages quickly?
Anyway, all the phones mentioned are Android and each one will fly on the internet (as well as doing HD mirroring and a load of other new things your Hero couldn't do). At least you get a picture of what's to come.

:rofl:

Thanks for the advice - very useful for people who don't own an Android phone. :yy:

One more question: are Android phones really as awesome as this video leads you to believe?

Original post by G8D
... huh?

Original post by Mad Vlad
Do what?

The unlock code if I gave my IMEI number. :p:
Original post by _lynx_
One more question: are Android phones really as awesome as this video leads you to believe?

That is cool. How the f does he/she dance like a robot with that suit on? It looks so good. Crazy Japs.
SO what's the best ROM for the Orange SF at the moment? I need to sort my brother's phone out. I did mine a while back and it's on Flibblesan's 9b which is pure awesomeness but he's updated it and is on 11. Has the Jellyfish improved? It was a battery sucker last time I tried it.

I've tried all of the latest Orange SF Roms over the last couple of months.

I used to like FLB but the latest 11b started giving some errors.
CM7 is great (Gingerbread) but still a bit unstable, my phone wouldn't wake up from sleep with this yesterday. The FM radio doesnt work in CM7 yet.

Now I'm back to using Jap Jelly RLS9 which is a great ROM. It's no longer being updated but its very stable and there aren't any major bugs.
Original post by shadow99
I've tried all of the latest Orange SF Roms over the last couple of months.

I used to like FLB but the latest 11b started giving some errors.
CM7 is great (Gingerbread) but still a bit unstable, my phone wouldn't wake up from sleep with this yesterday. The FM radio doesnt work in CM7 yet.

Now I'm back to using Jap Jelly RLS9 which is a great ROM. It's no longer being updated but its very stable and there aren't any major bugs.

Wicked, thanks. I'll try to the JJ ROM. Hope the battery is alright.

Jellyfish is excellent. :yep:
Original post by G8D
No. Do it yourself.

But I don't have the phone :frown:
Original post by JChoudhry
The unlock code if I gave my IMEI number. :p:

Do it yourself. :lolwut:

[EDIT] :facepalm2:

Latest

Trending

Trending